• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

American designer injecting Acura's new supercar with red, white and blue blood

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015...a-new-supercar-with-red-white-and-blue-blood/

Nothing really new. Maybe an article put out in advance of the Fourth of July. 'Murica.

Some parts that stood out to me.

"Later this year, Acura will finally get around to producing an entirely new NSX – only this time it will be at its Marysville, Ohio, facility, making it arguably more American than the 2017 Ford GT, which will be built by a contractor in Canada."

"“We tried to keep the purity of the original NSX,” Christensen said. “I’m hoping it will be just as timeless, but appropriate for the modern supercar customer,” she said."

It's interesting that not a lot of folks have brought up the age old debate of American-manufactured quality. Especially given that all of the new nsx's comparisons are European or Japanese build. May be a moot point given that there are now some quality cars being made stateside these days, coupled with the direction from HQ...

Robots don't care about nationality.

Good point but the majority of reliability and quality is designed-in years before the robots start their shifts, most effectively by design engineers and manufacturing/process engineers who take decades to get really good at their jobs rather than switch jobs within a company every few years to get well rounded in their career (which can be restated as: not as sharp in their main engineering discipline). My experience in the auto industry 20 years ago was that companies HQ'd in country A generally favored one while companies in country B favored the other. The NSX is being built by the company HQ'd in country A and who favored dedicated engineering depth over well-rounding, at least back then. :)

Last edited:
Robots don't care about nationality.

One of the things that really surprised me about the Marysville plant was just how few robots there were in the assembly process. I suspect the NSX fabrication facility will have even fewer.

Honda needs to get some real good software engineers. The current Honda F1 power plant issues are more software related than hardware failures. My local Acura dealer told me they have delayed sending NSX mechanics to NSX classes because of software issues with current Gen 2 car.

Honda needs to get some real good software engineers. The current Honda F1 power plant issues are more software related than hardware failures. My local Acura dealer told me they have delayed sending NSX mechanics to NSX classes because of software issues with current Gen 2 car.

You know, I still have my CD player I got after graduating college in the early 90's and I have all my CD's still. CD player works great anytime I need it to (which isn't often) and I never had to replace any CD's.

Now in the digital age I've been thru 3 ipods, 1 iphone, and 2 ipads so far since 2005, which I use for the majority of my music and cost me a ton of $$. I had numerous quality concerns with most all of them; both ipads were replaced at least once at the apple store, and 1 ipod just stopped working even though I didn't abuse it. Frequent crashes and hard-restarts needed, and frequent trips to the apple store within the first 3-12 months of ownership.

There's an analogy in there somewhere. Once I'm sitting and enjoying the music, it all sounds equally enjoyable, just with incredibly different amounts of conveniences, performance, and reliability/operational hassles as the trade-offs! Not getting rid of my CD player & CD's anytime soon.

Last edited:
You know, I still have my CD player I got after graduating college in the early 90's and I have all my CD's still. CD player works great anytime I need it to (which isn't often) and I never had to replace any CD's.

In reverse chronological order, I still have these that all work:

1. Cassette decks/tapes
2. LaserDisc Players/laser discs
3. 8 track players/tapes

My 91 is mostly a mechanical car. No power steering, no air bag (since I installed the MOMO steering wheel), ABS sort of works and I suppose Traction Control too. The sound is natural and the handling wonderful and I drive it daily.

This is nothing like the info I have heard from several friends inside F1. There are very few people at the shapr end of F1 and as a result it's a small community of people aware of what's going on almost everywhere. I heard that the engine issue was entirely related to the ICE itself, specifically poor design of the cylinder head. They are internally aware of this and can fix it with a redesign but this would cost a lot of money and about 4 months, the second of which they simply do not have available.

In reverse chronological order, I still have these that all work:

1. Cassette decks/tapes
2. LaserDisc Players/laser discs
3. 8 track players/tapes

Your cassette/8 track players, and VCR if you have one, might still work, but I highly doubt those magnetic tapes work as they should. After so many years, they start deteriorating and lose the data stored in them.

Back