• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Another Clutch Issue

Hello NSX Fam,

I am posting on behalf of an NSX owner having an issue with his clutch. He asked me to ask around here on Prime. Any advice or ideas are welcome and appreciated.

Here is some background:

1991 NSX with 65,000 mi, stock clutch but refreshed with new stock parts at about 55,000.Worked great no issues until about 64,000 miles then noticed a firming up of the pedal requiring more effort the more I drive it.

Clutch works well no issues with performance just a lot more leg effort than it should require. It feels like the hydraulic assist aspect of it progressively fails with more use. If the car sits overnight or for a few days the effort required is back to normal and it works great for 10 to 20 miles then I can feel the effort required to progressively increase again.

Had Acura tech look at it last fall. He took the whole clutch out and apart. Replace fluids. Nothing obviously wrong. Did say fluid was dark . Worked like butter for 50 miles then same thing started again. No leaks seen even at firewall.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas. Does this sound like seals deteriorating in master cylinder ? Would love to hear from anyone who has had a similar experience before replacing expensive parts that might not fix the issue.

Are the clutch slave and clutch master cylinder original? I honestly feel the slave cylinder hose could be collapsing inside when it gets hot but it's just a guess.

I am posting to update this thread.

A replacement of the throwout bearing is what solved this mystery.

Thanks to all for your input!

Back