• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Another clutch shudder question

Hey folks,

I recently picked up my 1991 NSX, and I'm having some issues driving it with peace of mind due to the clutch shudder.

I've been searching, reading the FAQs, and it seems a bit of shudder is "normal", but I can't imagine mine is.

The shudder in this car is pretty bad - at its worst, it causes the steering wheel to visibly shake. It's the worst when I'm going down from 3rd to 2nd gear, and letting the clutch out. Seems to shake the most when the clutch is *almost* engaged and I'm feeding it throttle, and also does it worse when the car is warmed up and hot. I've tried the "blip the throttle and let the clutch out" suggestion seen in the FAQ and threads, but it doesn't help. Only thing that somewhat diminishes the shudder at takeoff is revving up to about 2-2.5k before letting the clutch out, giving it more throttle as i feather. But 3rd to 2nd, 2nd to 1st, have severe shudders that shake the car and make horrible noises. FWIW, the clutch master+slave cylinder were just replaced as they were leaking when I bought it, but the shudder was present before the repair was done as well. Shudder is the only symptom - there is no chatter, and the clutch grips just fine (accidentally roasted the tires getting on a metered on-ramp yesterday). No slippage, even when getting on gas hard in 5th gear at low speeds.

The car only has 36k miles on it but I suspect the clutch could've been ridden pretty hard.

I'm just about ready to purchase a ScienceofSpeed sport 275 clutch+flywheel kit and get it all installed. I'm a bit worried that the shudder will come back though. Has anyone had a similar situation, or advice they could offer? Is there any way to diagnose this problem further without taking the transmission/clutch assembly apart? I had a PPI done with Don @ Hilltop before purchase, and he even test drove the car after I had some service done post-purchase - he mentioned nothing of the clutch, etc. The worst case I think is maybe a leaking RMS getting oil onto the clutch, but Don didn't say anything about that either (plus wouldn't this cause the clutch to slip?). And before anyone suggests it, I've been driving nothing but stick for over 10+ years across a slew of different manual cars, so I'm not so sure it's my technique..

Last edited:
When I first got my car my clutch was shuddering like crazy, steering wheel shaking etc like you described. A week later clutch went out. Pulled the tranny off and my clutch came out in pieces lol.

I went with a rps single and it's pretty tough. But I like it! When I drive my friends stock clutches now it feels so boring hahaha.

When I first got my car my clutch was shuddering like crazy, steering wheel shaking etc like you described. A week later clutch went out. Pulled the tranny off and my clutch came out in pieces lol.

I went with a rps single and it's pretty tough. But I like it! When I drive my friends stock clutches now it feels so boring hahaha.

thanks for the response d_prada1! Beautiful car btw, looks like you have the best color! (for '91s at least, I do love me a GPW...) :D

Wow, I can't believe your clutch came out in pieces. But it was driveable minus the shuddering before that? Craziness..

Glad to hear you like the RPS Single. From what I've read, the SoS sport 275 is a rebranded RPS? Did you get a stock flywheel, or a lightened one?

Can't wait till my clutch is replaced, I dread driving my "new" NSX due to all the violent shaking! Parking lots and stop and go is a nightmare for me, it's embarassing as I feel the shuddering is so bad people can hear/see it from outside, haha.

My OEM clutch with 81000 was recently replaced with OEM. Before, zero chatter, smooth as butter, new OEM, a bit of chatter I hope will go away with a few miles. Not bad enough that I can't live with it but still not smooth as the original. You should be happy with the SOS. BTW, replace your RMS at the same time. You may even consider inner axle seals too. A cheap investment.

Last edited:
Back