• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Another Ferrari crash on the PCH in Malibu

carbon fiber was used as an example. aluminum is exotic too... when hardened to that strength of steel it also becomes brittle. even steel that is hardened too much will become brittle... its just not necessary though.

materials are one thing, but proper engineering is the most important aspect. most of these high end limited production cars do not have to adhere to the same safety standards that a mass produced car has to.

Most high end limited production cars do not need to adhere to the same safety standards as a mass produced car has to?!
Where did you get that?
Steve

Most high end limited production cars do not need to adhere to the same safety standards as a mass produced car has to?!
Where did you get that?
Steve

The U.S. federal government was considering banning further sales of the Ferrari F430 in the U.S. after the 2006 model year because its frontal passenger airbag didn’t provide sufficient protection for some women and children in abnormal seating positions. At the time, a Ferrari spokesperson said it would be impossible to fix the problem without a major interior redesign. In accordance with 49 CFR part 555, the basis for the grant is that compliance would cause substantial economic hardship to a low-volume manufacturer that has tried in good faith to comply with the standard, and the exemption would have a negligible impact on motor vehicle safety. The U.S. government has given Ferrari a break on the airbag rules. The car will not have to comply with the regulations for the 2007 or 2008 model years, the NHTSA decided. The exemption is effective through August 31, 2009.

Yeah, but you got to remember that the US is the country of the ridiculous exaggerations due people's tendencies to throw lawsuits for anything.

Go outside bubble USA and travel the world, you will find some stuff BEYOND ridiculous ... in both cases . "American exaggerated paranoia vs the rest of the world lack of common sense" .....

In the end, we lose, cars such the Type-R or Zonda etc etc can't come to the USA because stupid regulations ~thanks to lawyers!

F40 did not required cats until later. Ferrari get a lot of breaks from lot of regulatory agencies.

WOW! My guess is well over 100mph. This is why I don't like leaving my car at a shop - any shop. There is always one idiot employ that's willing to risk your vehicle for his pleasure. What a sad shame in every way.

I understand the Veyron has a separate valet key that when used prevents the car from fast acceleration and high speed.

Sounds like a great mod for any performance car.

I understand the Veyron has a separate valet key that when used prevents the car from fast acceleration and high speed.

Sounds like a great mod for any performance car.

Now there's a good idea. We could do that in the NSX easily by installing a switch to keep the ECU in limp mode :rolleyes:. It only took a $1.5 million car to think to add that option. It seems like common sense now that you mention it.

Sorry to see that someone was killed and another critically injured.

I'll blame it on the movies. (yes, this is in poor taste but highly relevant)

42337PMferris%20bueller.jpg

Now there's a good idea. We could do that in the NSX easily by installing a switch to keep the ECU in limp mode :rolleyes:. It only took a $1.5 million car to think to add that option. It seems like common sense now that you mention it.

Cobb has this feature in their AccessPort tuner that limits engine RPM in valet mode. You can set it up with an AEM EMS too, even the original version.

Last edited:
Do we know that it was not his car? I saw it mentioned by someone that he was joyriding it, but is that fact?

yeah you dont think a Ferrari going the speed limit would split in 2 do you.

well maybe. probably was a convertable

a coupe would never split like that.

so you guys with the NSX-T look out.

sad.

I love my coupe

So you guessed this car to be a convertible to support your argument of fixed-tops being safer because this "could never happen" to a coupe. Then the car in question turns out to be a hardtop coupe? Believe what you will but this damage had nothing to do with it being a coupe or convertible and drawing conclusions about coupes/convertibles is not the logical thing to do.

These usually wind up with the detailer alive and the six other kids and families they hit dead.

I almost lost my sister because of another detailer out for a joyride. If I was there at the time I would have beat his ass after the airbag had finished doing so. Guy was doing 90 in a 30 zone, lost control, totaled my sisters car and 2 others. Who were just going to work.

Back