• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Another Ferrari crash on the PCH in Malibu

Sheesh, why does it seem like Fezza's always split in half when then crash?

Condolances to the family of the deceased. I wonder what speed they were going when the crash happened?

yeah you dont think a Ferrari going the speed limit would split in 2 do you.

well maybe. probably was a convertable

a coupe would never split like that.

so you guys with the NSX-T look out.

sad.

I love my coupe

Random info:

Facebook page of the driver

The deceased copyrighted his name (so apparently you can't write it without paying him, or as it were, his estate).

The driver worked as a car detailer, so it's likely not his car. Assuming he recovers, his business might be in a bit of trouble.

From the aforementioned Facebook page, likely pic of the car, before the crash:

360.jpg

BATMANs that wreck was a T not a coupe but wow the guy survived yikes, the pic of the steering wheel on the ground is from the fire department removing it and threw on the ground

BATMANs that wreck was a T not a coupe but wow the guy survived yikes, the pic of the steering wheel on the ground is from the fire department removing it and threw on the ground

I know it was a Targa. I hate targas and convertibles.

I was reinforcing ur point.

WOW! My guess is well over 100mph. This is why I don't like leaving my car at a shop - any shop. There is always one idiot employ that's willing to risk your vehicle for his pleasure. What a sad shame in every way.

WOW! My guess is well over 100mph. This is why I don't like leaving my car at a shop - any shop. There is always one idiot employ that's willing to risk your vehicle for his pleasure. What a sad shame in every way.

If the car is stock wouldn't the owner be in a better position financially when the insurance cuts him the check for the total loss?

Look at how soft the prices are for what was once a very expensive car.......

Ferrari's have really light front ends and understeer if driven improperly... I would bet that all such Ferrari accidents are due driver suckage. A shame because this can be prevented...

What's with ferrari's and splitting in 2 Ferraris in these accidents?

remember than Enzo crash around there?

I remember hearing something about the split happening not due to a faulty design but as a safety measure. It is meant to seperate the driving compartment from the engine to prevent further injury to the driver especially when fire could be involved.

Don't hold me to that but I remember reading or hearing something along those lines.

Dear Lord ... RIP ... :( ....

Aren't most high end sportscars designed to crack like this? I mean, is this an engineering feature so the car absorbs cracks in two and the person stay @ the seat in absolutely extreme circumstances of course?

That's what I can think ... cars designed to go over 170mph .. etc etc ??

Oscar

I remember hearing something about the split happening not due to a faulty design but as a safety measure. It is meant to seperate the driving compartment from the engine to prevent further injury to the driver especially when fire could be involved.

Don't hold me to that but I remember reading or hearing something along those lines.

No, that's only some urban legion. NO cars are designed that way to split in half. They break because of structural failure.
Steve

Dear Lord ... RIP ... :( ....

Aren't most high end sportscars designed to crack like this? I mean, is this an engineering feature so the car absorbs cracks in two and the person stay @ the seat in absolutely extreme circumstances of course?

That's what I can think ... cars designed to go over 170mph .. etc etc ??

Oscar

no, it comes down to the exotic materials used... carbon fiber is very strong, but will crack/ break upon a strong enough impact. had it been steel, the car would bend and deform instead.

Ferrari 360 is made in aluminum. The fact that the car split in halves simply is due to material failure in such tremendous impact. If there is enough force, anything can break.
Steve

shawn110975 said:
The car is/was a coupe. There are no 360 targa.
BATMANs said:

see above.
Steve
BATMANs & shawn110975 are discussing the potential of NSX-T splitting, not a 360 and/or variant.

Reference:
yeah you dont think a Ferrari going the speed limit would split in 2 do you.

well maybe. probably was a convertable

a coupe would never split like that.

so you guys with the NSX-T look out.

sad.

I love my coupe

Last edited:
BATMANs & shawn110975 are discussing the potential of NSX-T splitting, not a 360 and/or variant.
Reference:

Amen.

My impression of the ferraris that aren't a full CF shell/body is that they are a nightmare in an accident. Reminds me of kit cars crumbling to pieces in accidents that mass produced uni-body cars like the GTO and NSX can handle with relative ease....

Ferrari 360 is made in aluminum. The fact that the car split in halves simply is due to material failure in such tremendous impact. If there is enough force, anything can break.
Steve

carbon fiber was used as an example. aluminum is exotic too... when hardened to that strength of steel it also becomes brittle. even steel that is hardened too much will become brittle... its just not necessary though.

materials are one thing, but proper engineering is the most important aspect. most of these high end limited production cars do not have to adhere to the same safety standards that a mass produced car has to.

Back