• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any Disney Vacation Club Members on here?

Well, after 8 consecutive years of going to WDW we finally decided to purchase the Disney Vacation Club Package.
Just wondered if there are any others on here in the club.

We've considered it.

We live in SC and traveled to DisneyWorld a good 10 times this year alone. 4-day average park stays is about the most we can take (we have a 2YO and 6YO).

It's basically a pre-paid vacation. Only you can determine whether or not it makes financial sense for your particular situation.

To us, there were too many stipulations, we visit too frequently, and this is a long-term contract... I see our needs changing in the next 5 years and our focus shifting to Universal or something like that.

The mousesavers website has the best overview of the program and financial breakdown:
http://www.mousesavers.com/dvc.html

Bottom line is that it may make sense for you if:
"-You have the cash in hand to pay all of the upfront costs of membership without borrowing.

-The cost of dues does not appear to present a financial hardship based on your current expectations.

-You vacation at Walt Disney World frequently: ideally at least once every two years.

-You plan to continue staying at Disney World far enough into the future to make the membership at least break even.

-You prefer to stay in Deluxe or DVC accommodations and/or you stay a long time (10 days or more per year).

-You are able to plan your vacations well in advance -- ideally 7 to 11 months out.
"

If you do buy, you may want to find out if there are any planned DVC promotions in your area in the near future. You can save about $5k if you live in a targeted area and buy at the right time. I know New England was recently targeted for discounts.

Good luck! Disney is so awesome... I'm eying Orlando area property to maybe make the move down someday.

Dave

Hey Dave, cool! we met the criteria.lol We go every year spending around 5,000.00 per visit. The cost of the mebership isnt that bad if you consider what we spend yearly. It will have payed us back in 4 years.
We also travel to Vegas, Chicago and other places through out the year. DVC also has around 500 other locations around the world. Hilton Head being one.:smile: We also, like to cruise. So we will be trying the new Disney Cruise ship soon. Looks killer.
We just returned from Universal 2 weeks ago. The Harry Potter ride kicks ass!!!!

Yeah, Disney is the only place I can go, drop $2k/visit and feel completely OK. We took about 12 trips (about 50 days) this year at WDW :redface: I rationalize it's OK since we're also shareholders :smile:

Our neighbors automatically knew where we were going when we started loading up the van. Columbia, SC is a good 6.5 hour drive one-way, and I would leave around 2AM to make it there when a park opened. Driving at night is the way to go with little kids too....

Enjoy the club, I think we'll also take their new cruise ship next year too.

Dave

I am amazed that you guys can endure the pain/fustration..ect that come with disney repeatidly...I mean two three trips in a lifetime ok..but every year:eek:

I am amazed that you guys can endure the pain/fustration..ect that come with disney repeatidly...I mean two three trips in a lifetime ok..but every year:eek:

I have a friend like this -- every vacation is Disney. Me, I can take the Disney experience about once every five years -- and that's only because of the kids. Given their ages, I'd say I've got two more Disney trips left for me, in my life.

But hey, if it's what you're in to, more power to ya'.

Lol, its not for everyone. But, for us its great for the family, to get away and play for a week. We go other places, but it feels like out of the 3-5 trips we take a year the Disney trips are the best. We have yet to have a bad time or expierence. The Disney Vacation Club allows us to visit other places besides Disney. 500 other locations around the world. So as our son gets older, the wife and I can travel over seas etc.

well you are "hardcore" :cool:

No "vacation" should cause pain and frustration. Too bad you experienced that. But, some trips are definitely more memorable than others... and, Disney isn't quite "the happiest place on earth" New Years Eve.

But, if you have daughters in the 2-7 YO range, Disney is THE magical place for them.

I am always amazed at the castmembers and how you are treated (as long as you treat them with respect too). There are many instances we have been pleasantly surprised.

Dave

Last edited:
Just did a road trip to Disneyland and Sea World.

Let me tell you, even though I'm super-fit, by day two of Disneyland / Disneyland California my feet were ready to permanent retirement! :eek:

It was fun but I'd have to think long and hard about buying a vacation membership. My vacations are always planned last minute for whatever is a good deal and tickles our fancy.

Just did a road trip to Disneyland and Sea World.

Let me tell you, even though I'm super-fit, by day two of Disneyland / Disneyland California my feet were ready to permanent retirement! :eek:

It was fun but I'd have to think long and hard about buying a vacation membership. My vacations are always planned last minute for whatever is a good deal and tickles our fancy.

We always figure our vacations about 3 weeks out.lol You can schedule them when ever you want. For real, I think we averaged 10 miles a day:eek:
epcot is huge!!!

Back