• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any history on this red nsx? JH4NA1150MT001512

Link
This Red nsx is located a few hours south.
I was wondering if anyone knew about this red one. In the pictures they look really nice, but I just wanted to make sure that it was worth the trip going down to see it since its about an hour south from where I live.

Link
This Red nsx is located a few hours south.
I was wondering if anyone knew about this red one. In the pictures they look really nice, but I just wanted to make sure that it was worth the trip going down to see it since its about an hour south from where I live.

Price is a little high for the mileage, but it has a clean carfax report. Let us know what you find out if you go look at it.

Price is a little high for the mileage, but it has a clean carfax report. Let us know what you find out if you go look at it.

Agreed, price is definitely high for almost 100k miles. I'd say $25k tops if maintenance is all up to date.

FYI .. if you haven't found it already, you should have a look at the NSX Wiki which you can find off the red action bar at the top of most pages. The Wiki has a section on "Buying an NSX" that you might want to have a look at. For example, there is information in there about serial numbers to avoid because of the 'snap ring' transmission issue. You'll also discover that there's a major service interval at 7 years/90k miles which will cost you approx $3k to have the timing belt/water pump done and a bunch of other things. So you'll want to ask if that's been done .. preferably they'll be able to show you maintenance records. And don't go just based on miles .. if it was done previously but more than 7 years have elapsed, you'll want to do it again.

I agree with gt about pricing. In the pictures it looks clean, but the fact that it is missing the front lip and obviously had the driver's seat re-covered (not too well IMO and possibly in inferior material), tells me that there could be more to this car's story than meets the eye. Maybe it's a decepticon!:wink: Sorry, had to go there. In all seriousness, if it's not too far it would be worth checking it out and getting a PPI and Carfax and going from there. It could end up like another member's recent search on a black '91 and need $10k+ to get it up to date on maint, and the dealer wouldn't accept his $26k offer b/c they said they paid more for the car than that. On the other hand, it does appear completely stock sans seat and missing lip, so this could be a good bet if they reduce the $ and everything checks out. Best of luck and keep us privy to your findings!

In the pictures it looks clean, but the fact that it is missing the front lip and obviously had the driver's seat re-covered (not too well IMO and possibly in inferior material), tells me that there could be more to this car's story than meets the eye.

I can see the issue with the seat, but could you describe in more detail how to spot the missing front lip?

I just got the call from the guys at puyallup. His fax machine wasn't working but he went though with me with the carfax then sometime later today they'll email it to me. But so far this nsx was located in memphis, june 8 2001 the timing belt was changed, he doesn't know how many owners and about december 2001 it hit 80k miles so the next 10 years they only drove it for about ~18k miles. Thats the info that he told me. I'll post the carfax tonight.

Sportsmind4me, Could you tell me more about the lip and seats?

I can see the issue with the seat, but could you describe in more detail how to spot the missing front lip?

This photo should help, in the bottom set I highlighted the missing lip in this red NSX and an intact lip on another red 1991 NSX:
attachment.php

Attachments

• front-lip.jpg
    front-lip.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 654
Simon, Blue illustrated a very good way to differentiate the car with and without the front lip. As far as the seat goes, Honda used a very high quality leather (Napa) where most manufacturers at the time used inferior stuff to keep costs down. Just compare the pictures of the driver and passenger seat. The stock (passenger) seat has a definite grain to the leather where the re-covered (driver) seat is very smooth in appearance. The stock seat's leather also has a gathered look between the cusioning to match that of the door panel inserts) and deeper seams than the re-covered seat. The driver's seat also appears to have some piping on the thigh bolsters which doesn't match stock. A stock driver's seat with that mileage will also have some bolster wear from ingress/egress which this does not. All in all, a better job could have been done with better materials and workmanship if the goal was to bring it back to the stock look IMO. However, it was probably just a quick and cheap fix to make it look nicer to the prospective buyer. Let us know what the Carfax says.

Simon, Blue illustrated a very good way to differentiate the car with and without the front lip. As far as the seat goes, Honda used a very high quality leather (Napa) where most manufacturers at the time used inferior stuff to keep costs down. Just compare the pictures of the driver and passenger seat. The stock (passenger) seat has a definite grain to the leather where the re-covered (driver) seat is very smooth in appearance. The stock seat's leather also has a gathered look between the cusioning to match that of the door panel inserts) and deeper seams than the re-covered seat. The driver's seat also appears to have some piping on the thigh bolsters which doesn't match stock. A stock driver's seat with that mileage will also have some bolster wear from ingress/egress which this does not. All in all, a better job could have been done with better materials and workmanship if the goal was to bring it back to the stock look IMO. However, it was probably just a quick and cheap fix to make it look nicer to the prospective buyer. Let us know what the Carfax says.
They never gave me the carfaq, so i decided to look at this one

Link

that looks like a much better car all around. and personally, i'd much rather buy an NSX or any other car of this caliber from a private owner. car dealers only exist to make money...

Last edited:
They never gave me the carfaq, so i decided to look at this one

Link
Hey
I am a new owner and just bought a car in Indy that will be shipped to Canada. As a reference point go to the Canada site ( too old and lame to link) recent post "Thanks......" to see what I bought for $36 and compare to your prospect. Keep looking, It's like waiting for a bus...missed this one, next one comes along soon.
Have had a lot a cars and Grey hair.

Dave

Now you're talking! I agree with fastaussie all the way on this one. Private owner, low but not too low mileage, lower production #'s, 3.2L 6spd and more rare color combo equals a win in most people's book here. Assuming it passes a PPI, has a clean carfax and has records, I'd definitely put this one on the short list! Seems shady that the dealer of the first car you were considering wouldn't provide you with a carfax. Did you ask them for the VIN? You can always search the VIN here and also obtain the carfax yourself, but you'd expect a dealer who wants to sell a car to willingly provide this information. Keep us in the know if you decide to persue this one.

Now you're talking! I agree with fastaussie all the way on this one. Private owner, low but not too low mileage, lower production #'s, 3.2L 6spd and more rare color combo equals a win in most people's book here. Assuming it passes a PPI, has a clean carfax and has records, I'd definitely put this one on the short list! Seems shady that the dealer of the first car you were considering wouldn't provide you with a carfax. Did you ask them for the VIN? You can always search the VIN here and also obtain the carfax yourself, but you'd expect a dealer who wants to sell a car to willingly provide this information. Keep us in the know if you decide to persue this one.
I checked the vin and nothing bad came up. Someone from Prime actually tried to sell it. Carfax was clean. My father is taking a look at it tomorrow. If its good enough, my brother is flying down next week and picking it up.

VIN# JH4NA2165VT000243 is for the yellow one

Hey
I am a new owner and just bought a car in Indy that will be shipped to Canada. As a reference point go to the Canada site ( too old and lame to link) recent post "Thanks......" to see what I bought for $36 and compare to your prospect. Keep looking, It's like waiting for a bus...missed this one, next one comes along soon.
Have had a lot a cars and Grey hair.

Dave
Dang you're really lucky to get that nsx, Very very clean. In my mind for that much, just get a 97+.

Last edited:
I hope the planets align for you on this one. If so, please post pics! Oh, and make sure your brother doesn't take the long way back.:wink:

the yellow was a no go,
the car smelled, and the motor made a clacky noise.

got 3 more options 98 silver:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158312 & http://akuchel.smugmug.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=21889623&AlbumKey=zmMQBc

04 silver: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157676

01 black: http://autos.aol.com/used-detail--3367055495906044894-Acura-NSX-2001/

I'm taking a look at the 98 this Wednesday w/o the bbs
If the black one is really good we'll rather take that one since its closer to us and cheaper
and the 04 if both the 98 & 01 don't live up to our standards

Bummer on the yellow, I was rooting for you on that one.:frown: I'm almost afraid to ask what it smelled of, and assume the noise from the engine was something more than a valve adj. Hopefully that '98 will check out and you'll strike a good deal being that it's still on the original tb/wp and probably everything else except tires. They say that the search is half the fun, but the wait definitely sucks! Good luck on this one!

Back