• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any iRacers in here?

I've heard its a fantastic learning tool. A guy on another forum said that during the off season he played the game racing his local track and once the next season started up his instructor said he was a totally different driver.

I've also heard that a lot of racing teams use the game to try out new tunes/set-ups since its so realistic. And much cheaper and less time-consuming.

I'm just waiting for a good deal to pop up on a logitech g27 steering wheel and I'm diving head first into this simulator.

I have the G27 set up and Game Racer frame/seat and it is pretty sweet. I do Gran Turismo and their live sessions but want to try some IRacing sites that will have my local tracks but my computer is in the basement and the wireless isn't really good for simulator work other than GT. I may move everything down so I can get a direct conection and then try it on line.

Tytus

I have the G27 set up and Game Racer frame/seat and it is pretty sweet. I do Gran Turismo and their live sessions but want to try some IRacing sites that will have my local tracks but my computer is in the basement and the wireless isn't really good for simulator work other than GT. I may move everything down so I can get a direct conection and then try it on line.

Yeah, a wired connection is a must for iRacing. You'd hate to be racing in a points race and have your signal drop!

Post a picture of your setup if you get a chance.

I've heard its a fantastic learning tool. A guy on another forum said that during the off season he played the game racing his local track and once the next season started up his instructor said he was a totally different driver.

I can attest to this as it happened to me. Hours upon hours spent trying to consistently shave a second or two will enforce those really minor touches and penalizes you for being risky so it's not like playing GT5 or Forza.

Ever since I went to Mid Ohio and drove blind and nearly wasted a day learning the track so the cost of purchasing a track for $15 to nail it really helps get your best value out of a track weekend. I used it to study Road Atlanta and my first time out there was no wasted acclimation sessions.

I second the G27 wheel, perfect compliment.

I've never had an issue running it on wifi.. In fact I play it on a windows partition on a MacBook Pro. It's not too demanding graphically.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback on the G27. I'm in the process of figuring out an entry level setup. Any suggestions on getting a racing seat setup or do you guys think strapping it onto a sturdy table is enough?... at least to get started.

I have it mounted to my desk, while a whole rig would be awesome and all once you're in the zone you don't even realize it.

Before you run out and buy a G27 check out Fanatec wheels. They are a lot better wheels for similar prices, and also have load cell brake pedals.

i have the fanatec gt2 wheel, it's fairly comparable to the g27. the h-pattern shifter sucks, logitech's is better. however the fanatec clubsport pedals are terrific and are well worth the money. you can mix and match them, pedals and wheel/shifter are generally treated as separate input devices.

Thanks for the feedback on the G27. I'm in the process of figuring out an entry level setup. Any suggestions on getting a racing seat setup or do you guys think strapping it onto a sturdy table is enough?... at least to get started.

a table or desk is totally fine to get started, you can always add the cockpit later. you'll want a sturdy chair too, and height adjustability of both the chair and table is a big help.

Also check out the Thrustmaster T500RS. I have one with a G27 H-Pattern shifter (through a Bodnar box) and it is amazing. I like it better than the Fanatec wheels or the G27. The Fanatec is the closer than the G27, but the FFB in the T500 feels quite a bit better to me.

I haven't really been racing for the last 6 months, but am trying to get started again. Name is Michael-Paul Spierer on there if anyone wants to add me.

I just downloaded the game and got it set up and it looks pretty awesome (and incredibly intimidating). I'm hoping to use this as a tool to learn to drive before I take my car out to the track and was wondering if there's any particular car that behaves most like the NSX. I've had a few spin outs already (in my car and more so in a mid engined FSAE car that I drove a lot in schooL) and I'm really hoping to learn to be smoother here before jumping out into the real world because that aspect of the car terrifies me.

I haven't been on in a while. Since I moved I took down my gaming setup.

Have you guys seen WSIR on the new Gran Turismo 6? It looks pretty darn real.

430029_564138763645096_1061190131_n.jpg

I was doing a little bit of digging and it looks like there's a mac beta in the works? Hope that comes out soon!

Wow that GT screenshot looks amazing, I would've thought it was the real deal upon first glance. How does that game stack up in the realism department vs iRacer?

I was doing a little bit of digging and it looks like there's a mac beta in the works? Hope that comes out soon!

Wow that GT screenshot looks amazing, I would've thought it was the real deal upon first glance. How does that game stack up in the realism department vs iRacer?

I play it on my MacBook with a windows XP boot camp partition and works perfectly.

I play it on my MacBook with a windows XP boot camp partition and works perfectly.

What spec is your macbook?

Do you have to turn any settings down?

What size external screen are you playing on?

- - - Updated - - -

I keep hearing allot about this iRacing.

Why would i play this over GT5 or Forza 4?

I have a awesome steering wheel ready to be used on a new racer ;).

If it will run smoothly on my Macbook on a 37" tv i might give it a try.

It's installed running on my MacBook on a 37" screen. Graphics arnt the best especially when compared to Forza however this could well be limitations of using a 13" MacBook.

My wheel is essentially a Xbox wheel with a pc and ps3 mode, worked well as a trial.

Going to get more settings for the wheel and in game setup tonight.

From my understanding you can't race when ever you feel like just like i would on Forza? you have to jump in on a scheduled session?

I have been reading you can practice anytime, which i found but it was just myself. Saw in the startup guide, it vaguely mentions practice with the public, how do i go about this?

Also couple of tracks are missing from the shop which caught my attention in the first place, in the news section apparently are available but can't see them to purchase?

Last edited:
Jaffaz I haven't played GT or Forza for more than a few hours collectively but the bit of searching around I did suggested that Forza was the least realistic, followed by Gran Turismo, and then iRacing. The two console games put a bit more emphasis on simply having fun with the gaming aspect (the career, collecting cars, etc) where as the point of iRacing is strictly to mimic the real thing. I'm hoping to use it as a learning tool rather than a video game so that's why I wanted to try this one, I don't have any consoles though anyways so it's also simpler going this route.

The interface is definitely the strangest I've ever seen for a game. I'm really not a fan of having to go back and forth between a web browser to change my car or track. I've just been spending my time practicing alone but was also getting curious to casually race friends. It looks like you have to pay just to host a game at a rate of $1/hr? Kind of lame that they're charging a monthly fee to own the game and then more to actually play it. I had assumed they'd follow the MMO model OR the DLC model but not both + the pay by the minute arcade one on top of that. Hope there's something I'm missing here because I'm half expecting to be charged for virtual gas and tires once I start racing...

Back