• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone fixed snap ring failure - and where ?

Hi !

I've ordered the necessary parts to fix my 92 NSX gearbox with the snap ring decease...

I still haven't decided which Honda dealer should do the job. Before I decide, I'd like to know if any of you european owners did this, and where.

Thanks
smile.gif

Trond

------------------
92 Honda NSX, Style Auto body kit (fully repainted incl. top), Bilstein/Comptech suspension, RH AL 8x18/10x19'' rims with 225/40 & 275/30 Yokohama AVS Sport, RM Racing air inlet/exhaust/gearknob, Comptech cat. pipes, Cantrell CF engine cover, Taitec CF mirrors, AP Racing 330mm brake kit (f&r), SoS sway bars, Taitec hub, SoS CF brake air ducts, Momo steering wheel, DC Sports headers. On the way right now: Advan mod. 5 (in gun metallic) 8x17/10x18'', Pirelli Snowsport 205/45 and 255/40 & R-compound tires, 6 speed gearbox conversion, Tein RA (10/10)coilovers.

Hi Trond,

My '92 also encountered the dreaded snap attack. I had it fixed by the mechanic who looks after my NSX when it has been out at the track. He is a very good mechanic, but not NSX certified by Honda. Still, he did an excellent job replacing the tranny and gears. Anybody who knows gearboxes can do this. Make sure you have the workshop manual handy.

Good luck!

Guus

Hi, mother goose !

Thanks for helping
smile.gif

Mark@Dali mentioned something about a trust washer that also had to be changed, and that this had to be measured up for the correct thickness (10 different)

Please enlighten me if you know something about this. Is this described in the workshop manual ??

Trond.

Don't know about changing a trust washer, I haven't heard of this. Maybe DutchBlackNSX can clear this up - he also had the snap ring failure and was more involved himself with the repair. I'll ask him...

Stay tuned

At your service! (courtesy of the legendary Pim Fortuyn)

Those washers are under the primairy shaft, filling up any clearance left on that shaft and the housing. This clearance varies, because the gears are (could be) different in thickness. Please download the workshop manual, and have a look at page 13-23 for the mainshaft, and page 13-41 for the clearance measurement.

However, i do know that the guy who did Guus his gearbox never looked at the measurements, and just banged the short gears in, together with the old washers, thus not doing the measurement, and screwed the thing back together. Guus his gearbox is shifting very, very nice.
The gearbox from 'Gerard van Santen' is also put back together without the measurement being performed.
On my gearbox (i did the install myself), i did measure the correct thickness, but decided to go for some play in the lot, and the thing has been shifting just nice.
In my case, i found 2 thrust-shims in my gearbox (though the manual states never ever to do that (????), and decided that if i would take one out, there would be some free-play, nothing spectacular. I decided against pressure on my bearings, and i was also in a hurry.

Offcourse the way to go is to perform the procedure as mentioned in the manual, and order&install the correct shim. If youre not in a hurry, why not. Just make sure you got the right quality measuring equipment.

PLEASE NOTE!:
Depending of the year of youre gearbox, the manual could be not completely correct for youre gearbox, there might be a washer per page 13-23 not in youre gearbox.

Read part Problem with notchy shifting on early '91 cars with short gears
in http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Performance/gears.htm

Just let the guy who is working on it have a good eye on taking the thing apart, and let him use the manual as much as possible. Things might be different from a 'standard' gearbox-job.

If help needed, let me know.

Dutch geezer

Thanks a lot DutchBlackNsx !

I'm going to sell my car, right after the repair, and I still haven't figured out if I'm going to change the clutch when the box is out...

It is engaging pretty far out, but I have never had any slip.

Opinions ?

Trond.

I think thats quiet standard on a NSX clutch. I read it before, and after i changed my clutch , it was still very high indeed.

Why your selling your NSX?

Mich

It's an amazing car for sure, but I have another project car that's going to be really awesome
smile.gif

Check out www.pettersen-autoimport.no for more details.

In order to finish the 3000GT(R) till spring/summer, I had to make this tough decision
frown.gif

Trond.

Back