• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone Know How Much $ for '91 AC Freon Recharge

Does anyone have any experience with a freon recharge on a '91 NSX by an Acura Dealer? I was told over the phone that it is $5 per pound for "the cheap stuff" and $200 per pound
eek.gif
for "the other stuff". The car is blowing warm air - I hope the compressor is OK. The fan system seems to work just fine.

The car is going in to the dealer tomorrow, so any quick responses are greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Authentic R12 Freon wholesaled at about $55 a pound last summer and is probably around $75 or more a pound this year. The dealer marks this up. Mark Basch has written about some safe alternatives but unless you are sure I'd stick with the real stuff - if it lasts another 10 years it will be worth it.

Let me take this opportunity to thank keN SaX for advice he gave me 10 years ago. When I first met keN I had owned my NSX for about 4 months. He told me he thought Freon would probably go up substantially in the future and it made sense to stock up now. I bought a 30 pound cylinder for $240 - not a bad investment! While my NSX has been leak free for a decade I have used this supply to top up my Civic. Thanks keN!

[This message has been edited by Soichiro (edited 10 June 2002).]

How many pounds of Freon does the NSX take?

------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 10 June 2002).]

I was charged 200+ dollars the first time the Acura dealer charged my system. That was last summer. It has been recharged three times since then for free. The car now blows warm again after one week back from the dealer. I am getting really sick of taking it there and picking it up, a two hour drive. Each time the dealer has the car they replace another part and recharge the system. The service manager says that the next time he recharges the system will be the last time he does it for free. I do not know if he can do that or not, anyone? I know I am ready to rip my hair out in frustration.

sounds like you have a leak. a good shot will put an ultraviolot dye into the system and look for leaks under black light. i refuse to go to r134a and had to call several places a couple years back to find someone to find someone with r12 and he ended up charging me around $50-60 as i recall for an r12 recharge and used the dye to make sure there were no leaks. i have a really good email from mark basch about recharging your AC, if i can find it i'll post it.

Back