• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone know what kind of bugs these are

and what will kill them? A village we own property in has these bugs on several houses. Never seen them before this year.

Attachments

• bugs.jpg
    bugs.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 234
They look like the dreaded love bugs of florida.Harmless really but for 3-4 wks around this time every year they swarm and do the humpty hump.Take a look back at nsxpo06 pics from the track.

Definitely not Love Bugs. Looks like some kind of aphid to me. I would get some sevin dust or liquid and treat with that.

Never seent them before either...look's like Pistachios with legs. :)

Your pic's a little blurry, but if they look like the pic I attached, they are probably Box Elder Nymphs also called Halloween Bugs cuz they show up between mid September through the end of October.

Found this death sentence on gardenweb for you:

HOW TO KILL?
These insects can be killed with a dilute mixture of soap and water — 2 tablespoons per gallon — sprayed on them directly. A small strip of duct tape can also be an effective way of killing these insects, as they seldom will fly away when approached. Unable to escape from the adhesive backing, they can then be disposed of. They can also be kept out of the home, to a degree, by putting boric acid and/or diatomaceous earth in places they would gather to enter, as well as by using weather stripping and other means to seal the house better.

Another well proven technique is to spray them with streaming Wasp and Hornet insecticide. The aerosol cans allow you to surprise them from a distance, and will kill them instantly. Not all flying insect sprays will kill them, you should use the products specified for wasps. The best time to use this technique is when they are gathered in large groups in the Spring.

Attachments

• boxelder.jpg
    boxelder.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 42
I better stick to my day job:redface:

I knew I should'nt have thrown that imported apple cor out the car window while visiting last month.:eek:

OMG the dreaded box elder bug. Makes perfect sense as there is box elder trees all over this village.

Sending someone now with soap and water.

I bet hair spray and a match would work pretty well. Taking me back to days of burning everything in my parents backyard.

I bet hair spray and a match would work pretty well. Taking me back to days of burning everything in my parents backyard.

Taking me back about two weeks ago when I wacked an entire family of wasp living in the handle of my grill. Hairspray is a little sticky so I used right guard.
Then I tried to set my brother in law on fire but he got away. :biggrin:

Correct , they are box elder bugs - harmless.

This time of year they will swarm a house because they want to get under the siding to spend the winter. Using a homemade product of a soap mixture will work , but a better control is done with a product made for this purpose.

http://www.amazon.com/Bonide-Produc...rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=304485601&pf_rd_i=B000BWZ7LY

Insecticidal soap contains vegetable fats that will work better than normal soap and won't hurt your plants like ordinary soap.

Last edited:
Back