• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone use Mobil 1 Oil filter yet?

I noticed that Mobil 1 has an oil filter now. Was wondering if anyone has used one yet and if they had any problems with it. I've read if you use a FRAM filter it can blow the seal out and cause a total oil loss.

Went to Mobil web site and this is what they have posted concerning the filters:

Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filters
Designed for today's longer service intervals.

Removes more contaminants than conventional filters using an advanced synthetic fiber blend filter media.

High-capacity design stores more contaminants (two times the capacity of the leading brand).

Reduces resistance to oil flow while improving filter efficiency.

Withstands up to five times the normal system operating pressure.

Some interesting reading on the subject:

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

He seems to believe the Mobil 1 oil filter is very good, although he says that some folks have reported failure at high pressure. Who knows.

BTW - I have had two Fram oil filters blow out on me on two different cars. In both instances, the seam where the canister and base met separated and I lost pressure immediately. Thank God I monitor my oil gauges constantly.

Personally, I use OEM Acura oil filters on my NSX. I figure it's the best bet, and best chance for any recourse if something should fail on the filter itself.

Last edited:
Q said:
Personally, I use OEM Acura oil filters on my NSX. I figure it's the best bet, and best chance for any recourse if something should fail on the filter itself.

That was some good reading. It will be OEM for me unless I need one in a hurry. Then the Mobil 1 will be the back-up.:smile:

Hal_396 said:
That was some good reading. It will be OEM for me unless I need one in a hurry. Then the Mobil 1 will be the back-up.:smile:

Just order a case of OEM filters. That way, you will always have backups ready.

-- Joe

Fram

I'v ebeen using FRAM's now for a lil' over 3 years. Maybe we should ask the TURBO EXPERTS like Factor X and SOS and LoveFAB guys:confused:

And where do you get a case of OEM oil filters at a good price OTHER THEN A DEALER..........:confused:

Re: Fram

btcog82 said:
I'v ebeen using FRAM's now for a lil' over 3 years. Maybe we should ask the TURBO EXPERTS like Factor X and SOS and LoveFAB guys:confused:

And where do you get a case of OEM oil filters at a good price OTHER THEN A DEALER..........:confused:

Call my buddy Ciro at Delray Acura at 561-265-0000 Option 3. Tell him Hugh sent you. I pay $11.42 for a filter and they throw in the crush washer but I don't need those since I use a Fumoto Valve.

The oil filter is one of the most critical components on your car. Stop using that Fram crap and dish out a few extra shekels for the real thing. :)

Eh avoid fram like the plague. They're made out of cardboard...I personally like to stick with the oem..

Im a college student and work at my local advance auto parts DO NOT USE FRAM please for the sake of your nsx please leave her alone and treat her right with either OEM or mobile 1 or even Pure one filters by purelator.....

i tried getting one from AUTOZONE and they told me MOBIL 1 didn't make one for the NSX.. darn..

Re: Fram

Hugh said:
Call my buddy Ciro at Delray Acura at 561-265-0000 Option 3. Tell him Hugh sent you. I pay $11.42 for a filter and they throw in the crush washer but I don't need those since I use a Fumoto Valve.

The oil filter is one of the most critical components on your car. Stop using that Fram crap and dish out a few extra shekels for the real thing. :)

thanks I will, had no idea

LOL, back in 1998 when I switched my accord from cenvtional oil to synthetic, I was using Mobil 1 back then. I switched to K&N later, as the local auto store stop carrying them and they are at same price. (only $8 something back then ;) )

I haven't used the OEM filter since then, especially most Honda filter you get from your local dealership are, get this: Made by FRAM!!! You can tell the quality is just not there with them.

However, to those who had spent more than $10 for their "tall" filter, the one that stamped made in Japan are most likely made by Toyo Roki, you can see that from the outside of the filter, they are fine filters.

Regarding the K&N, Guppe M had their filters advertisement on my nsx magazine, wondering if there's anything available in Japan exclusively for the nsx?

The onily aftermarket filter I'd consider using on my car would be the new Amsoil filter but I don't even know if they have one that fits yet. It's way too easy to get the OEM filter anyway. I just stop by Delray Acura and that way I can bug Ciro to make sure you guys are getting great prices when you call him. :)

Back