• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Apexi' VAFC and SAFC for NSX

Guys,
I'm not sure if its appropriate for general discussion if not mods move it.

Anyways I was wondering if the Apexi Electronic aids in the Super AFC and the Vtec Controller VAFC any good for NSX use as in power gains or smoothing the power? has anybody used it on their NSX ?

Thanx cos I got a mate selling this gear and haven't got a clue the value of it for my upcoming NSX.

Nico

I don't know about the NSX, but the V-AFC on Civics and Integras helps smoothen the powerband... Creating a gain of HP at the VTEC switchover point. That is, if the V-AFC is dyno-tuned properly.

And the V-AFC is the same as the S-AFC, with the addition of changing the VTEC engagement point. You would not need both.

BTW, both the V-AFC and S-AFC have been replaced recently by newer models... So keep that in mind if you decide to buy one.

I currently have both the V-AFCII and the S-AFCII in stock. If your interested PM me or email me at [email protected] or you can call the shop at (509) 734-9779.

P.S. The black case V-AFCII looks absolutly amazing!

If you can afford it, an aftermarket ECU has more tuning capabilities than piggyback types. Not sure whats out there for the NSX though. Gains may be minimal (or not) as well if you stay NA so its up to you to see whats out there.

I personally run a Microtech LTX8 EMS on my RX7. May consider replacing it with a Haltech E6K. Then again, it is turbo so it benefits much more from an aftermarket EMS than an NA.

i installed the v-afc and went from a 258 to 268 rwhp after proper tuning...was kinda suprised considering the fact that i was told by many that the afc had no affect on the nsx.....but im happy with the result.......i got my v-afc at www.gruppe-s.com.....very cheap and they ship fast too....

i don't know if you can put the Field Vtec Controller on a nsx, but they are easy to use

6th Speed said:
i don't know if you can put the Field Vtec Controller on a nsx, but they are easy to use

I would choose the V-AFC over other Vtec controllers (Fields, Spoon, Power) just because of the great looking unit/display.

Just looking at this great custom install on a Prelude makes me want one for the NSX! :D

sale11.jpg

Thats a Apexi V-AFC with a Apexi Rev Speed Meter.

does anyone know if there's a direct connect harness or the wires have to be spliced? couldn't find anything on the apexi.com site regarding harness for nsx, especially 02/03 3.2l.

NSX-GT said:
Just looking at this great custom install on a Prelude makes me want one for the NSX! :D

Thats a Apexi V-AFC with a Apexi Rev Speed Meter.

That does look really nice! :cool: But blocking the a/c!! I'd die of heat exhaustion here in Texas!! :D

As far as I know, there is no harness availible for any application.

mister nsx said:
i installed the v-afc and went from a 258 to 268 rwhp after proper tuning...was kinda suprised considering the fact that i was told by many that the afc had no affect on the nsx.....but im happy with the result.......i got my v-afc at www.gruppe-s.com.....very cheap and they ship fast too....

Have you dynoed it since? I'd be interested to see how things change over time.

Field makes a harness extension called "One Touch" It allows you to connect piggyback type controllers without having to splice into the OEM harness. The EVO VIII and the NSX use the same harness connectors. That's what I'm using for my Greddy e-manage. The field part number is: CN-4

Skunk2 (www.skunk2.com) is the only distributor here in the US. They use their own part number for reference. That part number is: 201-99-0057

attachment.php

mister nsx said:
i got my v-afc at www.gruppe-s.com.....very cheap and they ship fast too....

I second that.... Gruppe-S has very reasonable prices especially for local pickup. They are located in the SF Bay Area

They primarily cater to WRX and EVO's but they can get any part you need.

the VAFC is a great unit and was pretty easy to use when i had it on my prelude. I wouldn't reconmend the Field Vtec-controller, i didn't have good experience with it, somehow it always seems to trigger the check engine light on for me.

That pic looks like an obdII to obdI jumper harness. Whats the difference? I've never heard of a plug 'n' play type harness for piggy-backs.

It's not a OBDI to OBDII it's straight through. The harness just provides a place for the piggyback to splice into. That way you are not hacking into the OEM harness.

Option2 said:
It's not a OBDI to OBDII it's straight through. The harness just provides a place for the piggyback to splice into. That way you are not hacking into the OEM harness.

This is great. I can use this when I install smartshift. I was afraid about splicing into the wiring harness. Thanks for the info! btw, how much is this harness? skunk2 website does not list it it seems....

ak

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I had a few questions.

1. are the harness different for odb1 and odb2?
2. If so, Is the part number from skunk2 for Obd1, or odb2? I called skunk, they dont know either.

donwon said:
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I had a few questions.

1. are the harness different for odb1 and odb2?
2. If so, Is the part number from skunk2 for Obd1, or odb2? I called skunk, they dont know either.

1. Usually yes because most cars switching from OBD1 to 2 they change the ecu pin layout and plug sizing

2. I really don't think anyone makes an NSX specific V-AFC harness, I'm guessing it's not even close to similar to the generic Integra/Prelude/Civic harness because a large group of VTEC cars in the same year range used the same ECU plugs

Somewhat, but not with as much resolution. The VAFC modifies fuel by modifying the signal from the oxygen sensor. It also allows the user to change VTEC engagement. These corrections are quite global in comparison to the the chip allowing precise control of the fuel and timing cells within the factory fuel and ignition tables.

regards,
-- Chris

Back