• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Apple iPhone officially announced

Huh? <snip> My current phone run's on a linux O.S. and i never had a problem. <snip>
sorry - miscommunication.

if it ran win ce, it'd have the value of a brick to me. fwiw, i actually began listing each of the os's that's i'd take over a ce device and began with linux. (in the not too distant past, i headed sales for a leading linux mobile phone stack provider)

i bought a mac g5 ~1.5 years ago and love it. as soon as i can fabricate a reason, errr, justify the expense to my wife, i'll replace my win laptop with a mac dual core device.

i think it's GREAT the iphone/pod/photomanager/whatever-it-becomes runs os-x!

Yeah i paid close too 3k for a dual xeon pc in 2003 and looking at what the 17" macpro does make mine look like a piece. Maybe apple will make an OS-X for the NSX :biggrin:

They did not blindly call this the iPhone and hope that Cisco wouldn't sue them. Given the importance of this product to Apple, it's reasonable to assume that they tried very hard to get this issue behind them prior to launch. When I say that Cisco took advantage of the situation I mean that they clearly had the upper hand, felt that Apple was on the ropes and probably decided to ask for a lot more than Apple was willing to offer. Instead Apple decided that they would take their chances in court since it's a different class of product than Cisco's iPhone.

In the end, whatever the outcome, it won't materially matter to the success of the product IMO.

I work for one of the evil empires (Cisco/Apple) involved in this suit. (Thank goodness im out of the mortgage industry!!) Personally I think the whole thing is nothing more than shameless mareketing by both companies. What makes better press than controversy? Granted neither will admit to it, but it makes sense. With Apple and its following going ga ga over the iPhone. Why not bring it to the rest of the masses with some controversy, and the same goes for Cisco? Until yesterday, not many people even knew Cisco had somethinig called an iPhone. This will most probably get resolved in some backroom quietly after both parties feel they have got the most out of the publicity buzz. At the office there is a term going around about this suit being nothing more than a geek slapping contest. Two big rich geeks slapping each other over who wants to be called what. :biggrin:

Allofmp3.com is going to be going down in flames soon enough.

Of course they won't. They'll simply move their servers to a non WTO member country. Maybe they'll even put their servers in orbit. Now there's an interesting concept, who has legal jurisdiction in space? Load up a satellite with a few terabits of storage space, fill it with every song known to mankind and upload new ones as they come out. Getting the data back to Earth is a piece of cake.
I have dibs on "musicinorbit.com" if anyone is interested in starting a new business. :biggrin:

Great video of iPhone in use >> HERE.

iPhone new design ? hmmm >> HERE

-j-

Yeah I saw the similarity page yesterday at sometime. The thing is the phones both feature touchscreen technology. There are only so many ways to present that sort of interface. The non-apple phone already won a prestigious design award.. and the new iPhone is dramatically better looking. That gauges just how nice the iPhone is.

The Treo/Blackberry crowd all look pretty similar in a line-up as well.

As nice as the phone looks - it's not about looks in this case. The software on this phone is the groundbreaking part. No phone can say they've done the new software before.

For another video: http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/j47d52oo/event/
Click on iPhone introduction. Have an hour of freetime.
It's worth watching I think, Jobs is quite a salesman in addition to everything else, lol.

I think it is funny that people think OSX automatically makes this phone solid. I believe every complicated mobile device "locks up" at some time or another - whether Windows Mobile, Palm, RIM, or Symbian. The software has to engage the hardware and a smartphone is very weird compared to a computer. For crying out loud many thousands of iPod owners have to reset their nanos and iPods regularly because they freeze. Google iPod freeze and the unfreeze process is documented everywhere.

They say OSX but I don't believe it is the full OSX. Does the iPhone have enough memory to hold the whole OSX? I doubt it.

The iPod has one of the highest failure rates (9%) of any mass market electronics. That figure comes from PC Magazine's latest reliability survey. Their readers loved the iPod for all the good things every one knows about - but they break often.

The non-replaceable battery could be a problem. Sending in an iPod for a battery replacement is no big deal. But sending your phone and losing it for a week is a different story. I doubt if Best Buy is going to replace them at the store. 8Gg is not much memory for a device that is supposed to play videos too. And a hard drive will be slow coming because of power consumption and the risk of drive failure considering the rough life phones live.

The iPhone is as dazzling as every one thought it might be - maybe more. It will stimulate a bunch of new competition - and that may be the best thing to happen. But the iPhone might disappoint a lot of people who spend $500 or $600 and switch to AT&T.

A lot of the frameworks have obviously been ported over, but clearly it's not possible to put everything into such a small footprint. I just found out that a friend at Apple who had been working on a "secret project" for the past year happened to be a key engineer on the iPhone. Unfortunately he wasn't able to talk much about the underlying details.

It ain't OSX....according to a PC Magazine analysis here.

Right. Steve Jobs said at the keynote that it is OSX, minus most of the of the other software OSX comes with (ie iLife, DVD player, Appleworks, etc..) The full OS install comes in a 2GB DVD, so why would OSX not fit in this phone? I'm not sure how big of a file OSX is(minus unnecessary SW), but I'm sure its less than 2GB.

Right. Steve Jobs said at the keynote that it is OSX, minus most of the of the other software OSX comes with (ie iLife, DVD player, Appleworks, etc..) The full OS install comes in a 2GB DVD, so why would OSX not fit in this phone? I'm not sure how big of a file OSX is(minus unnecessary SW), but I'm sure its less than 2GB.

so is the 4gig/8gig really less to support the large OS?

It isn't really about the size of the file (although that is an issue). OSX runs on full size and power microprocessors (like Intel Core 2 Duo). The processor in the iPhone is far less powerful. The iPhone doesn't have the computing power of a laptop.

I assume when Apple says 8Gb on the iPhone they are talking about storage available for media files.

Yeah i paid close too 3k for a dual xeon pc in 2003 and looking at what the 17" macpro does make mine look like a piece. Maybe apple will make an OS-X for the NSX :biggrin:

that makes your dual xenon 4 years old, pretty much any current PC today is going to make it look like a piece.

A lot of the frameworks have obviously been ported over, but clearly it's not possible to put everything into such a small footprint. <snip>

from Digg:

"iPhone's OS X Less than 500MB, Flash vs Hard Drive, iWork Integration?

iPhone is running an optimised but full version of OS X that weighs in at considerably less than half a GB, according to Apple vice president of worldwide iPod marketing Greg Joswiak. He confirmed that the operating system sits in the flash memory of the device and that Apple will provide updates to the operating system like they do today."

their story link isn't working for me:
http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?newsid=16927

iPhone is running an optimised but full version of OS X that weighs in at considerably less than half a GB, according to Apple vice president of worldwide iPod marketing Greg Joswiak. He confirmed that the operating system sits in the flash memory of the device and that Apple will provide updates to the operating system like they do today."

Typically embedded versions are cut down, and there's no question that this is not a full version of OSX. After all, why would they put in all manner of extraneous frameworks/libraries/drivers that aren't required for the device? (Regardless of what Joswiak claims) Actually, I'm a bit surprised that the amount they've allocated for the OS is as large as it is -- I thought it would be a lot less. With that kind of footprint, it does mean that they've put in a very robust implementation on the phone -- not surprising since they have things like webkit, coreimage, etc.

<object width="380" height="313"><param name="FlashVars" value="slxml=de.sevenload.com"/><param name="movie" value="http://de.sevenload.com/pl/gTMGQK0/380x313/swf" /><embed src="http://de.sevenload.com/pl/gTMGQK0/380x313/swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="380" height="313" FlashVars="apiHost=api.sevenload.com"></embed></object><br />Link: <a href="http://de.sevenload.com/videos/gTMGQK0/Fake-iPhone-aus-China">sevenload.com</a>

:D

Hehe... after the keynote at WWDC last week I was actually standing around talking to John Carmack (world famous game programmer who created Quake, Doom3 etc). It was just 4-5 people there as everyone had already filed out of the hall and Steve Jobs came up to thank Carmack for his demo at the keynote. I can't post the details of what happened in case I get into trouble but lets just say that it was a VERY interesting discussion between the two on the iPhone's strategy for third party application support. It was interesting to see SJ defend their strategy -- he actually made some very convincing arguments!

Back