• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Are 02+ NSX's $100K Cars?

Brief review of inventory from Autorader, Cars.com, eBay and Prime:

05 LBBP 32.5k mi $105k
05 BB 1.4k mi $150k
05 BB 4.9k mi $100k
03 SY 39.9k mi $58.9k (salvage)
03 LBBP 32k mi $82k
05 NFR 103k mi $60k
02 BB 90k mi $54.5k
03 LBBP 37k mi $85k

First off, there isn't much inventory. Price is obviously related to other factors like mileage. Are 02+'s on the cusp of reaching $100k -- have any cars been actually transacted above that range or are we still in the $60-$85kish wheelhouse?

Last edited:
Are 02+ NSX's $100K Cars?
No.

Anyone can list a car for any amount he/she wants. If it's above market value, it may represent wishful thinking. Sure, there may be someone out there who doesn't shop around and is willing to pay whatever's listed. But a market value represents a price at which you should be able to buy or sell similar cars without too much looking around. These cars do not have a $100K market value. (You've listed two lower-mileage cars in the $80-85K range, and two higher-mileage cars in the $55-60K range, and of course these are only asking prices, so it seems like you've already answered your question in the negative.)

Last edited:
I think a fair number of dealers/investors are going to be trying to answer that question. The consensus over the past few years has been that the NSX will increase in value - now the question on the minds of dealerships is what exactly does that translate in to as far as a dollar amount.

The only way to *definitively* know is to put a car up for sale and see if someone pays you $100k. Until then it is just speculation.

I agree with the "not much much inventory"
comment. At the above price points these cars do seem to trade hands.

$150K gets mine. Then I can order the New one.

Some of the "asking" prices are insane. An '05 just came up on ebay starting at $125k starting price and a $135k buy it now. Yeah, good luck with that one! It's missing the manifold cover plate.

The good thing about some of these unrealistic prices is that the cars won't sell and the prices will drop, just like the housing market bubble.

I think this is just a temporary phenomenon and anyone who buys at these prices is only going to lose money.

Last edited:
I was speaking to one of THE NSX gurus the other day, and he informed me, that if a car has service records, that it has been serviced by Larry Bastanza, it adds at least $10,000 to the price you will receive when you sell your car!!!!

I was speaking to one of THE NSX gurus the other day, and he informed me, that if a car has service records, that it has been serviced by Larry Bastanza, it adds at least $10,000 to the price you will receive when you sell your car!!!!

:)

For me, I would definitely pay a premium (though not a $10k premium) for a car regularly serviced by Larry B, or Jim Russell, or any of the NSX greats!

Quite honestly - this isn't that crazy of a notion. I didn't bother with a PPI on my car because it came with service records from Larry and the seller struck me as a stand up guy. I don't regret that decision in the least and would recommend to any buyer that if they had to choose between a lower price or a service history from a reputable shop that they will likely SAVE money in the long run on the higher priced car with a better history.

I'm willing to sell my NSX if someone is also ridiculous enough to buy it for the sum total of a) the price of a new NSX plus b) the amount of money needed to find another first-gen NSX just like it. Maybe some oil baron will see my car on the street, remember it was his absolute favorite color of all time and then insist on paying exorbitant amounts of cash for it on the spot. :biggrin:

I know 02+ autos are even more rare and not highly desired which could be made said that they are not worth as much as manuals, however I look at it this way.
If someone specifically wants an auto, and there are only a limited amount, and in good-to-mint shape, then the seller can control the cost better since supply and demand.

With that said, how much do you think an 02+ auto with 30k miles in mint shape is worth these days?

My car may not be worth 100k, but I would not be interested in selling it for less than that. Probably wouldn't sell it for even more than that actually. There are too many former owners on here who regret selling theirs, and I'm pretty sure I would be in the same boat. Then I'd have to find another one and that would be a task in this part of the world. I don't grow tired with a vehicle real fast as a rule, and I don't think that will be an issue with this one especially!

I know 02+ autos are even more rare and not highly desired which could be made said that they are not worth as much as manuals, however I look at it this way.
If someone specifically wants an auto, and there are only a limited amount, and in good-to-mint shape, then the seller can control the cost better since supply and demand.

With that said, how much do you think an 02+ auto with 30k miles in mint shape is worth these days?
Jim, I've seen your car and though I'd hate to name a number, I would think that it would command a handsome price. The scarcity of the auto transmission and the fact that many people search out a/t cars, especially in urban areas, would only add to the value.

But then, your car's a beauty...don't sell it!:smile:

Jim, I've seen your car and though I'd hate to name a number, I would think that it would command a handsome price. The scarcity of the auto transmission and the fact that many people search out a/t cars, especially in urban areas, would only add to the value.

But then, your car's a beauty...don't sell it!:smile:

Thanks Jeff. Means alot.
I don't plan on selling. Was just curious peoples thoughts.
It's almost a catch 22 for a buyer. You know the A/T can be had for less, but with less of them out there, and in mint shape, it's not really a buyers game.

How many 02+ NSXs were sold in North America? ~850? That is a very low number and should be factored into the price.

Are 993s worth the prices they are selling for? They made more of every spec of the 993 than they did of the 02+ NSX. Which is a "better" sports car?

I'm legitimately asking these questions and am interested to hear what others think. :)

How many 02+ NSXs were sold in North America? ~850? That is a very low number and should be factored into the price.

Are 993s worth the prices they are selling for? They made more of every spec of the 993 than they did of the 02+ NSX. Which is a "better" sports car?

I'm legitimately asking these questions and am interested to hear what others think. :)

I am obviously NSX-biased and no expert on the 993 so I have no problem saying the NSX is the better car. 993s are "worth" whatever the market bears. Porsche has a die-hard fan club so the demand is much greater. However, the lack of supply of 02+ is a key factor in determination of pricing. Most of the people who bought 02+ NSX's chose them as an alternative to Porsche, something different than the majority option.

"Better" is a subjective question as different people like different things so I won't comment on that.
"Worth" is measurable though and the premier brands will most likely always command a premium over a car that is "just a honda". I'd say the badge will always bring in an extra 20%. So figure what a comparable car is to the NSX, drop 20% and you should get a ballpark on NSX values in my opinion.

Someone is selling an Imola one for $65k w/40k miles. I think it is a good deal!

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...ange-Orange-Automatic-39663-JH4NA12692T000007

I was inches away from selling my 2002 Imola last month with 18k miles for $95k (NSX Enthusiast). The next best offer was $92k (NSX Enthusiast). With that being said, here's my take:

~$100k
- Collector quality (less than 5k miles), 2005 (Last model year), MT, any color configuration, (Car collector)
- Low mileage (5k-20k), rare color configuration (GPW, IOP, LBBP), MT, (NSX Enthusiast)

~$65-$80k
- High mileage to average mileage, (2002-2005), any non-rare color configuration, MT

NSX Prices have gone up this year, but not insane amounts as suggested. A Porsche collector looked at my Imola and the (at the time) asking price of $90k. He said the car was great, but couldn't find any other car with a rare color combination that has sold for that amount to justify the price. I believe car collector's care not for color, but only for the low mileage and last model year. Only true NSX enthusiasts would pay top dollar for a rare color combination.

Now the Zanardi is another story.

Back