• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Are my speakers blown?

Aftermarket 6.5inch.

I'm trying to figure out if it is my crossover is not aggressive enough or my speaker is blown.

Crossover is set for 70Hz/24

Anything crazy at 60Hz seems to make a sound like my door panel is rattling. So I took off the door panel and it was definitely the speakers.

SQ is still awesome... its just 10% of the songs I listen to, at a particular volume, will make it rattle.

I don't really want to mess with the crossover either. That requires retuning my MS8 which isn't fun.

What do blown speakers sound like?

Aftermarket 6.5inch.

I'm trying to figure out if it is my crossover is not aggressive enough or my speaker is blown.

Crossover is set for 70Hz/24

Anything crazy at 60Hz seems to make a sound like my door panel is rattling. So I took off the door panel and it was definitely the speakers.

SQ is still awesome... its just 10% of the songs I listen to, at a particular volume, will make it rattle.

I don't really want to mess with the crossover either. That requires retuning my MS8 which isn't fun.

What do blown speakers sound like?

It's not the Xover. MS8 is electronic anyway, are you using a passive? It's most likely the driver. It can also be the amp. Are you driving it off the MS8's cheezy amp?

HU -> MS8 -> AMP -> Speakers

I am using the MS-8. I'd have to run through the auto tune. Which isn't consistent for me. Right now my tune is freaking awesome.

I'm afraid if I adjust the cx and retune I'll either lose or take me forever to get it as good.

So your woofer has dedicated amp channels? there is no passive in line anywhere, right? why don't you swap the left and right woofer and see what happens? what is it anyway? And what is the amp?

Yeah. I'm running a 6 channel amp...

Front LR
Rear LR
Sub Bridged

Center is powered by the MS8.

Problematic speaker is on the passenger side.

GREAT idea on the speaker swap... can't believe I didn't think of that.

However, I can kind of hear the driver side rattle as well... but instead of 10% of the songs maybe 1% if that...

I think it's 1% because that speaker is closer to me and the MS8 EQ tuned each channel differently.

Can you tell me about all the components you are using and where they are mounted? Sounds like a very interesting system. Yes, try the woofer swap first and we can go from there. It is possible one woofer may be ove-EQ'ed by the MS8 but I think something else is going on.

Sure thing. This is in my Genesis.

Factory HU/NAV running two channels into the MS8

MS8 then runs 5 channels RCA to the Amp

MS8 runs 1 channel hi-level to Center

Infinity 5760a Amp
Infinity 6000cs Components (Front Doors - Tweets top of door)
Infinity 6032cf Coaxial (Rear)
Infinity OEM Center 4.5 inch
Infinity 12VQ Sub (Trunk - Sealed)

over-EQ'ed by the MS8

I am leaning towards this... but want to rule out a blown set of speakers.

If your speaker is blown you would know it - I am thinking it is either being overdriven and bottoming out or the amp is clipping and the DC voltage is what you are hearing.

Back