• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Are OEM tires old technology?

I wouldn't recommend using a 255 series tire in front. The handling will be really screwy if you use tires that are almost as wide in front as in the rear. Furthermore, they will rub like a 40-year-old hooker with her pimp watching from the next room. :D

And I think you're right, that Bridgestone made a mistake on their spec sheet. I can't see how a 255/50-17 tire can be two inches smaller in outer diameter than a 205/50-17.

nsxtasy said:
I wouldn't recommend using a 255 series tire in front. The handling will be really screwy if you use tires that are almost as wide in front as in the rear. Furthermore, they will rub like a 40-year-old hooker with her pimp watching from the next room. :D
I tend to agree. It's hard to picture that specific size in my mind with the 23'' overall what was apealing was the 50 series because of the higher sidewall that would take the worry away of pot hole wheel damage.

AKUDOU said:
I tend to agree. It's hard to picture that specific size in my mind with the 23'' overall what was apealing was the 50 series because of the higher sidewall that would take the worry away of pot hole wheel damage.
Thesection width is 2'' more than the stock size. Are you sure it will rub. I have no problem with the 225/35/17 now. stock is 205/50ZR15 Z BW 083-046 5.5-7.5 (6.5) 23.0 8.5 7.2 10.6 10 906 563 21 300 AA A

This afternoon I spoke with one of the top technical experts at Bridgestone, and he confirmed that an older OEM tire designed for a specific car can easily outperform a newer OEM tire that is designed to be used on a variety of vehicles. The details of this conversation are posted in this topic.

Back