• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Are there any other dudes out there that love cats?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Funny I've never heard of a Bengal cat until now. Absolutely stunning looking.

They are a human developed breed...

The Bengal Cat is a breed of domestic cat developed by selective breeding to evoke the feline denizens of the jungle such as Leopards, Ocelots, Margays and Clouded Leopards. Bengal Cats were developed by the selective breeding of domestic cats with hybrids of domestic cats and an Asian leopard cat (ALC), Prionailurus bengalensis with the goal of creating a confident, healthy and friendly cat with the high contrast and vividly marked coat

Yinzer, Bengals really are no different than other cats, some like to be picked up and sit on your lap, others dont. Best odds are to buy from a cattery where the kittens are well socialized and handled from birth, or adopt an adult that's already a known entity. There is some belief that males are more likely to be a lap cat but I think it's just urban legend. As I type this I have both a male and female cat on my lap :)

My Siamese cat likes to eat boot laces. I found out the hard and expensive way.

So, with three cats, it's sometimes hard to figure out which one is barfing or bottom dragging on the carpet. I figured out Crystal was the butt dragger when I saw her do it. The barfing? :confused: I took Crystal with me to Kennedy Meadows, CA last week for a couple of nights, and she never barfed once. Came home to barfs of dry kibble and finally saw my Siamese boy, Zion, heaving his poor guts out so hard, that his pink tongue was hanging out like a piece of meat. Took him to the vet first thing on Monday morning...

^May 4, 2015. This is his side with the head to the left. You can see his ribs with his stomach underneath and something looking like string, wound up inside.

^May 4, 2015. The vet was just finished with Zion's surgery when I got there around 1PM, and she gave me this bag of stuff that she pulled out of Zion's stomach. :eek: She said she'd never gotten that much stuff out of a cat's stomach before. Luckily, it was all accessible through one incision into the stomach and she didn't have to make another one into the intestines. She felt all of the intestines and was sure there wasn't anymore stuff inside.

^I took home the bag of stuff and inspected it to try to figure out what it was. It was one hair rubberband and eight pieces of a boot shoe lace. I found the other intact shoe lace in my closet.

^Here Zion is at home, after the surgery with a drugged stare. Four days later he was getting better but hadn't eaten. He's on antibiotics and pain meds. I cancelled a trip to see my son this weekend to care for my Zion.

Today, is Sunday, May 10, 2015. I took Zion back to the vet on Friday night (May 8th). I thought he smelled bad and the vet saw that his incision was puffed up at one end and was oozing. More shots, some fluids and some prodding to get the fluid out, and back home. I think he may finally be recovering. My fingers are crossed, for sure. No more play allowed in my closets.

Does anyone else have a cat that does this:
0b3496d09fc8b37318e6729958eb871d.jpg

I SO wanted to bring this little guy home with me from my volunteer job with rescues at Petsmart. I have three cats already so I resisted.

found this 3 weeks ago.....ended up keeping herIMG_5340.jpg

Having a hell of a time getting my 15yo diabetic fur baby regulated. He was off insulin for a year and then had a relapse. I've taken over 200 blood samples from him over the past month (poor ears) to try to understand how the insulin is working. Also switched insulin. I think I may have the answer finally. I think he has a UTI. He tested negative a month ago but he was retested and I'm waiting for results. However I started clavimox yesterday and over the past 24 hours his blood sugar levels are looking better than they have since his relapse.

Last edited:
On Monday morning, we made the difficult decision to put Meeko down. I stayed home from work to spend one last full day with him and he spent most of the day on my lap. Valerie and I gave him special meals of homemade chicken and chicken broth which he enjoyed, but you could see his enthusiasm diminish with each serving. His weight had dropped into low 6's. He managed to keep his beautifully soft coat well groomed that it visually hid most of the weight loss in my photos, but he had become so bony.

On Tuesday morning, as Meeko drifted off, he continued licking me until he couldn't physically lick any longer. Valerie and I are so sad. Our house feels so empty now.

068_5DII_45008-X2.jpg

The left pic was from June 27, 1998 (the day we brought Mushu and Meeko home), the right pic is from June 23, 2015 (playing with the same toy one last time)

--Eric

^^Congrats on the new kittens, they are adorable......

My current pride of 4, we lost Kassy a few months back. Looking to add 2 more Siamese boys in the Fall sometime so it will be a record breaking 6 soon.

11693822_896467930412406_8624792112643584123_n.jpg

We call this Meezer TV.....

P1100691.jpg

My current pride of 4, we lost Kassy a few months back. Looking to add 2 more Siamese boys in the Fall sometime so it will be a record breaking 6 soon.

That's going to be quite the handful!

Mochi and Moka have seemingly boundless energy. Either I've forgotten what it's like to have kittens or Mushu and Meeko were nowhere near as playful as this pair. Mushu, my previous Siamese mix, was definitely the more active one, but I remember tiring him out with 15 minute long play sessions. Moka and especially Mochi seem to keep going and going and going...

Good thing I have accumulated nearly two decades worth of toys and climbing trees to keep them busy and engaged!

That's going to be quite the handful!

Mochi and Moka have seemingly boundless energy. Either I've forgotten what it's like to have kittens or Mushu and Meeko were nowhere near as playful as this pair. Mushu, my previous Siamese mix, was definitely the more active one, but I remember tiring him out with 15 minute long play sessions. Moka and especially Mochi seem to keep going and going and going...

Good thing I have accumulated nearly two decades worth of toys and climbing trees to keep them busy and engaged!

^Sweet looking kittens. What are their sexes?

I realized today that yesterday, 9-13-2015, was my Bengal, Talia's birthday. At least took some shots on her birthday, even if I forgot it.

^9-13-2015. Two year-olds, Talia and and Zion.

^9-13-2015.

^9-13-2015.

^9-13-2015. This is Crystal who is 17 and had a seizure on my lap two days earlier.

^This was Talia on 7-19-2015.

^This was Talia on 7-19-2015.

Great shot! Her eyes almost look green in this photo.

^Sweet looking kittens. What are their sexes?

Forgot to say...they are sisters, born in May. My wife actually saw them in early August, but we weren't feeling we were ready to adopt. When we crossed paths with the same rescue group at Fiesta Hermosa, we couldn't believe no one had adopted them yet, so we did.

201_5DII_48495-X3.jpg

OMG, we've gone over the top. I obviously started a new section for them on my photo site (link mentioned in my initial post). I've already uploaded a few hundred photos and a couple of videos.

But my wife also talked me into starting a Facebook page for them:

https://www.facebook.com/MochiAndMoka

Last edited:
Do you know what happened to Moka's ear?

Ear tipping is a common practice to visually indicate whether a stray / feral cat or kitten has been spayed or neutered. Apparently, Mochi and Moka's litter was originally going to be returned to the wild...but, while under foster care, proved themselves friendly enough to be placed. We do find it a bit odd that a rescue group would be so quick to clip the ear of kittens unless they were really wild when initially found. My mom asked about it and the rescue group got really defensive. And I think they only clipped the ears of three kittens in the litter (Mochi's ears are not clipped). I wouldn't be at all surprised if Moka hadn't been adopted yet because of the tipping.

Reading a little more into this, I gather it is the veterinarians, not the rescue groups, who insist on ear tipping when they spay / neuter ferals because they are volunteering their time and certainly do not want to go through the trouble and expense of anesthetizing an animal that has already had the procedure done.

Last edited:
I had never heard of ear tipping before. I get it now. It makes sense.

Why do we ear tip cats?
Ear tipping identifies free-roaming cats that have been sterilized. Ear tipping is completely safe and it is performed under general anesthetic. Ear tipping provides immediate visual identification, which alerts animal control that a cat is part of a colony. It also helps colony caretakers track which cats have been trapped and altered, and identify newcomers who have not. Once a cat is trapped, the caretaker should look for an ear tip. If the cat has an ear tip it should be released immediately.

**EDIT** Oh, now I see you had a link, too.

Last edited:
Well here is a quick iPhone pic from our breeder with 2 boys that were born around 2 weeks ago. If everything goes according to plan and the kittens are healthy these will be the new boys in my Meezer family around 15 weeks from now. Tinker and Yoshi.

Photo from Sep 27, 2015.jpg

Back