• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Attention Watch Experts....

" to each his everest":confused: weak......but nice watch!

I agree. It's an ad that only works if you know what it means.

Rolex consistently has associated itself with historical challenges that exhibit the best in physical achievement and endurance. Such a key event was the first attempt by humans to reach the top of Mount Everest--the world's highest mountain peak--in 1953. The endeavor began with the British Himalayas Expedition team, led by Sir John Hunt. The team included many first-rate adventurers and climbers, but only Sir Edmund Hillary and Sherpa Tenzing Norgay successfully made their way to the top of the peak. Luckily, when Rolex had to pick one member of the exhibition to wear the prototype of the Rolex Explorer to the summit, they chose Norgay, and the Rolex Explorer made it to the top as well.

To tell the full story, when Rolex first heard about the expedition, they saw this event as a golden opportunity to prove the true excellence and quality of the Rolex brand. By that time, Rolex had already created an adventurer’s watch, which later became popularly known as "The Explorer." This watch was designed especially for extreme conditions, and Rolex wanted to test it in full view of the media and prove it could survive even the extreme conditions at the top of the world. The conquest of Mt. Everest and Rolex came together perfectly.
Rolex GMT Master

As planned, Rolex participated in the event with a prototype of the Rolex Explorer Model 6098, giving this watch to one chosen expedition member: Tenzing Norgay, a Tibetan Sherpa. On May 29, 1953, the Rolex Explorer made it to the summit of Mt. Everest, a height of 29,035 feet, on the wrist of Tenzing Norgay. It successfully withstood the harsh conditions and came out a winner, riding a huge wave of glory and acclaim with Sir Edmund Hillary and Sherpa Tenzing Norgay. This success added a major historical, permanently-unpluckable feather to the cap of Rolex. The model 6098 was publicized on an international scale, and Rolex named it "The Explorer:" the perfect watch for the modern adventurer.

The success of the Explorer led Rolex to come up with a second generation of this masterpiece known as the Explorer II. It also was designed for any climatic extremes that could possibly be encountered on any adventure or expedition. But, even today, people associate "The Explorer" with the original conquest of Mt. Everest--a historical achievement not only for humanity, but for Rolex as well.

Another historical tidbit, Ian Fleming (writer of the James Bond series) referenced this watch in his novel, "On Her Majesty's Secret Service." However, when Hollywood stepped in, Sean Connery wore a submariner (not explorer) as James Bond in Dr. No (1962)

I agree. It's an ad that only works if you know what it means.

Another historical tidbit, Ian Fleming (writer of the James Bond series) referenced this watch in his novel, "On Her Majesty's Secret Service." However, when Hollywood stepped in, Sean Connery wore a submariner (not explorer) as James Bond in Dr. No (1962)

Interesting factoid I didn't know. Learned my new fact of the day.

Here's one that many people don't know. Most people pronounce Submariner, sub-MARE-IN-er, like the baseball team from Seattle (Mariners) but with "sub" in front of it. However, old school submarine sailors would actually pronounce it sub-mah-REEN-er, like a submarine with "er" on the end. As far as I can tell I haven't been able to find a definitive answer as to what is the proper pronunciation, so it would appear that both pronunciations are acceptable. I think if you are dropping $5K+ on a watch, you can call it whatever you want. Although, the British claim sub-MARE-IN-er is the correct pronunciation and that sub-mah-REEN-er is just a stupid American bastardization pronunciation of the words. Just based on that I might have to change the way I call it and say sub-mah-REEN-er just to piss off them Brits! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Congrats. You made a great choice. Wear it in good health and get it insured with your homeowners insurance.

Purchased from a local. It's used, but only a few weeks old. I ended up getting a real good discount. Box, papers, receipt, etc. all still included.

Congratulations synth, my local AD quoted me MSRP too, I pass.
thanks kindly to all the advise on here everyone!
Is ebay a logical choice for a rolex submariner purchase?

I'm no expert by any means but if the price of rolex is kept high by the dealer network, and copies do exist I'd be real leary of getting a "great" deal on a lightly "used" example from a private party.

I'm no expert by any means but if the price of rolex is kept high by the dealer network, and copies do exist I'd be real leary of getting a "great" deal on a lightly "used" example from a private party.

Yes, I agree.The great deal I'm getting is consistent to a discount he probably got from his dealer, and maybe he's then taking a small hit. He has all papers/receipts/etc. so I'm not worried as I will be validating everything in person. He also has a great background and in a very respected profession based on my google research.

i purchased my 50th anniversary rolex sub 5 years ago. a friend of mine had purchased a pair of rolexes, one for him and one for his wife.
at that time, green subs were extremely hard to find. jared told me that when one came in it was like christmas because they couldn't be ordered. sometimes it would be months before another came in. jared called him and asked him if he wanted the 50th anniversary since he had made multiple rolex purchases and he declined.
he called me because he knew i wanted one and i called jared to let them know that i'd like to purchase it. not only did i not get a discount, they gave me the third degree. did i own a rolex, had i purchased a rolex from them previously, did i order one in the past, was i on the 50th anniversary waiting list, etc. when i told them no, they refused to sell me the watch. i contacted the individual that managed both stores and related the circumstances to him. he called the other jared store and told them to sell me the watch.
couldn't be happier with it. i wear it every day and for dress-up.
ironically, it's water resistant to 1000 ft but it's never been wet, not even in the shower. i use my tag when i go diving.
just my story.

rog

Barring unforeseen complications, I'll be picking up a glycine airman tomorrow. Looks like a neat little watch.

Congratulations synth, my local AD quoted me MSRP too, I pass.
thanks kindly to all the advise on here everyone!
Is ebay a logical choice for a rolex submariner purchase?

I would avoid ebay. Instead, check out the Rolex forums. There are a bunch of legitimate sellers on there where you can look at their selling history with much higher confidence then on ebay.

I usually use:

timezone.com or watchuseek.com and look for sellers with great recs, high rating before contacting them.

Can someone tell me what a Rolex "Red" Sub. is worth. I bought it new in 1972.
This has the "Submariner" printed in Red on the dial.

Gary

Can someone tell me what a Rolex "Red" Sub. is worth. I bought it new in 1972.
This has the "Submariner" printed in Red on the dial.

Gary

Here is '71 one selling on ebay for $12,200.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/71-Rolex-Submariner-1680-red-papers-/200563071163?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item2eb27d98bb#ht_6156wt_1139

Here is a '72 for $12,500.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Authentic-Rolex-Submariner-Red-1680-Year-1972-/140490788543?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item20b5e74ebf#ht_500wt_922

I would say around $12,000.00 is a good starting point depending on condition. Nice! Not a bad investment I presume?

Last edited:
Synth I hate to burst your bubble but that watch clearly is a rolax:tongue:

Thanks guys. You nailed it. It's a classic style that I'll love for years to come. I'm really not into the "trendy" watches, so this was perfect. I want to eventually get a sports watch as well. The main reason why I didn't get a submariner is because I thought it was too sporty. So my rationale was- get the explorer which has a more "versatile" look (IMHO of course) and for a secondary "sports" watch, pick up either an Omega or Breitling. Then..... I will be DONE. Luckily I have cars and photography as my other hobbies. :D

Then..... I will be DONE.

Bzzzt...wrong. Watches are like crack. You will never walk past a pawn shop or estate sale again without stopping to look at the watches.

20081026-wotta-lotta-watches-2.jpg

glycine.jpg

I just picked this beauty up off of craigslist. Not nearly as high profile as a Rolex, but a solidly built watch and the brand/model has a neat history.

why is a watch manufacturer named after an amino acid?:confused:

That's a really good question and I'm positive that there's an equally good answer, however, I don't have that answer :rolleyes:

They're pretty well respected in their field though.

Back