• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Attn: STOPTECH BBK guys

Wondering if anyone had brake squeaking with ur BBK's? Im not sure if its dust on the pads or if that was normal...

Also, I have slotted rotors and was thinking about going to drilled. Pro's/Con's? Worth it?

Wondering if anyone had brake squeaking with ur BBK's? Im not sure if its dust on the pads or if that was normal...

Also, I have slotted rotors and was thinking about going to drilled. Pro's/Con's? Worth it?

i have front and rear but i only hear the front and i think is the brake dust that makes the squeaking, after a wash and is gone. and i have the slotted rotors too. same goes to my friends 350Z with stoptech bbk.

Pretty common with stoptech and brembo , I am considering changing pads to EBC greenstuff to see if it goes away.

A few things to consider before dumping $5K:

Unless you plan on tracking your car on a regular basis, a BBK (like Stoptech) is overkill for the street. Upgraded pads, rotors, and SS lines are more than enough to stop your car.

Brake squeal and dusting mostly occurs with high performance race pads at cold starting temperatures. Slotted rotors will be a better choice for track use as well. Keep in mind- there are no such thing as a clean car at the track.

Are you prepared to dump another $2-3K on rims that will clear the larger Stoptech calipers? Another $600 for street and track pads?

If you are willing to accepts these facts, then welcome to the club.

I agree , but some people do like the looks and are prepared to pay for it.

The BBK kit comes with the track pads so has squealing. However, you can easily use street pads which are $60 a set.
Steve

I have the ST60 front and ST40 rear kit on my M3. I don't have any problems with squealing and very little dust. I run PFC1038 pads in the front and Axxis ULT in the rear. It was the recommended setup for mostly street moderate track with minimum dust. I actually had my kit installed at Stoptech.

They bit hard and no fading during several hard laps over at Spring Mountain Raceway.

Mmm...

2758279554_df805d1873.jpg

Brake sqeal is caused by the pad vibrating in the caliper. Sometimes shims fix the issue, sometimes removing the shims fixes the issue. Using brake grease between the back of the pad and the caliper face usually eliminates the squeal. Since the noise is caused by harmonics generated by a specific pad and the caliper, some pads might sqeak more than others. FWIW, I use Carbotch Bobcats in my StopTechs and they never squealed.

Unless you plan on tracking your car on a regular basis, a BBK (like Stoptech) is overkill for the street. Upgraded pads, rotors, and SS lines are more than enough to stop your car.

Brake squeal and dusting mostly occurs with high performance race pads at cold starting temperatures. Slotted rotors will be a better choice for track use as well. Keep in mind- there are no such thing as a clean car at the track.

Are you prepared to dump another $2-3K on rims that will clear the larger Stoptech calipers? Another $600 for street and track pads?

+1 on the wheels. I recently bought F&R setup and really really thought the rears would've cleared but to my disappointment they did not, even with spacers.:frown: Before you norrow down your brake choice, you may pm "titaniumdave". He can usually put together a nice setup.

I agree , but some people do like the looks and are prepared to pay for it.

You mean posers? It's all good (as long as they don't get the calipers custom painted purple or pink.)

FWIW, I use Carbotch Bobcats in my StopTechs and they never squealed.

Agree..Bobcats have no squeal and min. dust. Alot of us are using the Carbotech XP10s at the track- smells nice when smoke the rotors.

Hey Larry

I believe the OP already has Stoptechs on his car. I think they came with the Imola he purchased so he won't be spending any additional money.

I am using the Axxis street pads and drilled rotors and I have only heard my brakes squeak once. Most likely brake dust since it never came back.

Dude what the hell are you talking about dumping all this money? Why are you quoting prices of this and that (which Im not sure where u found them cuz they are a BIT high to say the least)

...did u read my question or just fire off at the keyboard?

Here's a picture of my car WITH the SToptechs ON ALREADY and RIMS clearing the brakes :rolleyes:

3487715192_2ec2870731_o.jpg

Anyways, thanks everyone else...I got my answer. Yes its normal :biggrin:

Chill out man...I don't know you and you don't know me, so stop hating (even if I misread your post). Next time you call out a "Stoptech" question I will simply PM you instead. Enjoy your car Erik B.

Back