• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Audi R8

I personally like the R8 and its the only Volkswagon I like at present. If it was just a little cheaper I would go for one but its a good $30k more than I would want to spend. I am still waiting on Lexus to release there new sports car.

I personally like the R8 and its the only Volkswagon I like at present. If it was just a little cheaper I would go for one but its a good $30k more than I would want to spend. I am still waiting on Lexus to release there new sports car.

I saw the Toyota (Lexus) sports car concept and didn't care for the looks.
Funny looking front.

I saw the Toyota (Lexus) sports car concept and didn't care for the looks.
Funny looking front.

Props to Toyota for being the first out there to design a sports car for the summer and a snow-plower for the winter.
That's what some would call "progressive Thinking". One has to wonder if they were not just being "progressive". "Thinking" I dont reckon.

I am surprised that some of you have seen the car in person and are not impressed. The car is stunning in person and has much more presence than a 911. Photos do not do it justice.

When I saw the R8 in St. Pete, the Audi display was right next to the Lambos.
So maybe all those Gallardos made the R8 look like a common 350Z in profile.
(Plus...I think a lot of NSX guys, are the type that never liked the 911's round shape in the 1st place.)

Same day, same show.. I walked by the 911's and Caymans (which I like) and they seemed kind-a blah also......after this
0%20St%20Pete%20Car%20show%20Red%201.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
I wonder how long it will be before initial demand goes down enough to where MSRP is a realistic figure?

I wonder how long it will be before initial demand goes down enough to where MSRP is a realistic figure?

I think the MSRP is a little high for the performance. I wonder what the price of the RS8 is going to be. Rumors are as much as 600HP from the V10!

In concept, design, and price, I think the cayman S is EXACTLY what the next gen nsx should be, and its going to get my dollar.

I think the MSRP is a little high for the performance. I wonder what the price of the RS8 is going to be. Rumors are as much as 600HP from the V10!

600HP puts th R8 into a different category--genuine supercar land. It would have ~6.17 lbs/hp as opposed to it's current ~8.57. The R8 would be much quicker than the F430 or Gallardo or even the Ford GT and more reliable than all of them allowing it to easily be priced with them. If performance can equal or exceed the Carrera GT and the looks improve a bit the RS8 has a chance to be a successful car at a price of $150K-$175K. If they can keep the price at $125K-$150K it could be very, very successful. Hopefully Audi learns its lesson this year and keeps the RS8 pricing not too far from the R8.

It still might not be as fast as the 2009 Corvette Blue Devil/ZO7 (also featured on the C & D page discussing the R8's pricing). GM says it is a green light and it will have "comfortably in excess of 600HP" and "maybe 700 in [2010]." :eek: Priced at or about $100K.

Now the Corvette is in hypercar land for a quarter of the price.

The R8 would be much quicker than the F430 or Gallardo or even the Ford GT and more reliable than all of them allowing it to easily be priced with them.

More reliable? I wasn't aware of Audis stellar reliability record.

More reliable? I wasn't aware of Audis stellar reliability record.

Certainly more reliable than Ferrari and I don't think the Ford GT is the pinnacle of quality. After speaking with many Gallardo owners it seems that while Audi certainly has improved overall quality Lambo still have quite a few problems that regular Audis just don't seem to have. I would stop short of saying that any Lambo is just as reliable in every way as any Audi.

It's no Honda but what is?

Am I the only one that thinks R8 front end reminds this?

predator_large_17.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I stopped by an Audi dealership today. They are taking preorders for the base R8 model. $109K for the manual shift model, but probably 10K in other options you would want to add (GPS, backup camera, CF side blades, etc). The sales manager said the first 200 for the US market are already spoken for (for the Jay Leno's of the world as he put it). He said they are selling at MSRP at this point.

They wanted $2500 down to be put on the list to be able to order one. When the dealer gets able to actually place the order (i.e. after the first 200 are delivered), you pay an additional $2500 down and specify all the options and color and at that point there is no backing out. He thinks that will happen in perhaps mid to late 08. Then it's projected to be another 120 days for it to be made and shipped. This dealership already had 5 preorders on the list.

This is an awesome car. I put the first $2500 down. I'm number 6. I will happily trade it in on the next NSX if that's a step up (if and when that happens). It's going to take a while. Hope they don't all get sold out before they get to me.

There will be a 2009 higher performance model (R8-S?) with over 500HP.

Jeff

I stopped by an Audi dealership today. They are taking preorders for the base R8 model. $109K for the manual shift model, but probably 10K in other options you would want to add (GPS, backup camera, CF side blades, etc). The sales manager said the first 200 for the US market are already spoken for (for the Jay Leno's of the world as he put it). He said they are selling at MSRP at this point.

They wanted $2500 down to be put on the list to be able to order one. When the dealer gets able to actually place the order (i.e. after the first 200 are delivered), you pay an additional $2500 down and specify all the options and color and at that point there is no backing out. He thinks that will happen in perhaps mid to late 08. Then it's projected to be another 120 days for it to be made and shipped. This dealership already had 5 preorders on the list.

This is an awesome car. I put the first $2500 down. I'm number 6. I will happily trade it in on the next NSX if that's a step up (if and when that happens). It's going to take a while. Hope they don't all get sold out before they get to me.

There will be a 2009 higher performance model (R8-S?) with over 500HP.

Jeff

The RS-8 is the one with the lambo v10. I think thats the one that caught fire on the ring during testing.
BTW....what color combo are u going to get?

They are offering a pretty limited set of colors. Silver, gray, black, white, and red. I like a red sports car, so I'm going with that even though I have 2 other red cars. The other colors are so plain and overused. I hope to get CF side blades but there's a shortage of CF so if I can't I'll get matching red side blades. Brown leather interior, additional leather interior upgrade (also in brown), GPS, and convenience group which includes the backup camera and a bunch of other goodies. I'm not going to get the premium sound system which has 12 speakers and 465 watts. The 145 watt stock will be plenty loud thank you. I guess they're going for 1 watt per horsepower in that premium system...

They are offering a pretty limited set of colors. Silver, gray, black, white, and red. I like a red sports car, so I'm going with that even though I have 2 other red cars. The other colors are so plain and overused. I hope to get CF side blades but there's a shortage of CF so if I can't I'll get matching red side blades. Brown leather interior, additional leather interior upgrade (also in brown), GPS, and convenience group which includes the backup camera and a bunch of other goodies. I'm not going to get the premium sound system which has 12 speakers and 465 watts. The 145 watt stock will be plenty loud thank you. I guess they're going for 1 watt per horsepower in that premium system...

Sounds good. I bet u cant wait! Im pretty sure the carbon side blade is the obvious choice for most people getting that car.

Back