• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AutoCross in the OC - Interested?

When do you want to AutoCross in OC?

• May

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • June

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • July

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters
Nice tracks!
Note the scale in the lower left corner that says 200ft.

The runways are 1.9 Miles long so that's about a 2 mile long track I think. That is uber-long! This would really make the total times very varied. That would be fun.

The white part is SUPER grippy. I had to really work at getting my tires to break loose but it burns through tires. Great place to launch and end.

Very nice job!
Any other takers?

D

ANYTIME said:

Cool. Thanks John.

I'm sorry again for the newbie question but I sold my helmet a long time ago after I sold my last motorcycle. How much would a decent open faced helmet run me?

This sounds like an unintimidating, fun way for me to "get my feet wet" and actually use some of the potential of this car since I know I can't safely do that on public roads.

Da Hapa said:
Cool. Thanks John.

I'm sorry again for the newbie question but I sold my helmet a long time ago after I sold my last motorcycle. How much would a decent open faced helmet run me?

This sounds like an unintimidating, fun way for me to "get my feet wet" and actually use some of the potential of this car since I know I can't safely do that on public roads.

Summit Racing has helmets starting at 99 bucks and they have a killer 90day return policy. Where else can you legally speed, corner as fast a you want and not risk killing your car? (tracks have walls :biggrin:)

ANYTIME said:
Summit Racing has helmets starting at 99 bucks and they have a killer 90day return policy. Where else can you legally speed, corner as fast a you want and not risk killing your car? (tracks have walls :biggrin:)
much mahalos

ANYTIME said:
Where else can you legally speed, corner as fast a you want and not risk killing your car? (tracks have walls :biggrin:)

Not Streets of willow, Button willow, Spring mountain, to name a few tracks without walls. Even Big Willow is pretty much "wall-less". They do have rocks the size of baseball if you decide to go offroading. :mad:

But then we have been down that road before. :wink:

There are walls on at least the front straights at all of those tracks. :tongue:

CDub said:
Not Streets of willow, Button willow, Spring mountain, to name a few tracks without walls. Even Big Willow is pretty much "wall-less". They do have rocks the size of baseball if you decide to go offroading. :mad:

But then we have been down that road before. :wink:

Nimbus said:
There are walls on at least the front straights at all of those tracks. :tongue:

Sure, but how do someone lose control going straight unless due to mechanical failure. :redface:

ANYTIME said:
Big Willow has a green wall in turn 3

That uphill turn can be tricky if you are carrying too much speed. I never saw it there. May be it's green.:wink: How did you discover that wall? :tongue:

CDub said:
Sure, but how do someone lose control going straight unless due to mechanical failure. :redface:
I wonder abut this when ever I see someone stalled and facing the wrong direction on the 405!:biggrin: :biggrin:

Here's the update:
Last week CoolNSX, Cdub and I checked it out. Great locations to do this at the other end of the runway. When we were there road and track was testing so obviously we're not the only one that likes the place!

I'm waiting for a quote from them and then I'll let you all know the cost. We're looking at either Saturday July 1 or July 8th.

Stay tuned.
Dave

SoCal-NSX said:
We're looking at either Saturday July 1 or July 8th.

Stay tuned.
Dave
July 1st please!!! The 8th is my wife's birthday. I'd never get away with going to an autocross on her birthday.:eek:

Last edited:
SoCal-NSX said:
Here's the update:
Great locations to do this at the other end of the runway.

The area on the east side can be as big as a small track. I understand that at higher speed, there is a higher potential of mishaps. But I rather take the risk and have a blast then getting frustrated with a super tight course.

I'm no drag racer, but if we want to be creative, we can even get a 1/4 mile drag strip going on one of the 2 runways. The amount of space there is enormous.

It is actually big enough to have 2 events going on at the same time. That odd to keep the cost down a bit. Can we find groups like the S2000 club to use the west side or something?

Any updates?

I will increase the tire pressure this time instead of reducing them and remember to turn off the TCS :biggrin:

CDub said:

That uphill turn can be tricky if you are carrying too much speed. I never saw it there. May be it's green.:wink: How did you discover that wall? :tongue:

It's turn 4.

W said:
It's turn 4.

I think you are right. Here's the wall on turn 4. Didn't notice it was there at all.
3710Big_Willow_turn_4.jpg

Assuming this event runs under the NSXCA insurance policy, does this mean that other marques are given second priority, NSX or not?

Has there been any discussion for an event at Willowsprings? Streets is a great venue. Big Track, although less technical, may be a little too fast.

W said:
Has there been any discussion for an event at Willowsprings? Streets is a great venue. Big Track, although less technical, may be a little too fast.

If there is such event, I'll be the first one to sign up.

Not sure about weekends, but for Streets of Willow, weekdays are less than $4k including corner workers, ambulance, and clean up crew.

The problem is to get enough people to commit to such events. The highest NSX count on a local track event has been less than 15. So it'll be a challenge to keep the cost down.

CDub said:
If there is such event, I'll be the first one to sign up.

Not sure about weekends, but for Streets of Willow, weekdays are less than $4k including corner workers, ambulance, and clean up crew.

The problem is to get enough people to commit to such events. The highest NSX count on a local track event has been less than 15. So it'll be a challenge to keep the cost down.

Another possibility is to join another club's event as a separate run group.

W said:
Another possibility is to join another club's event as a separate run group.

Speedventures normally have less than 18 cars per run group. Another challenge is that the skill levels of our group will make running in the same run group another challenge.

One of a semi private organization ran Streets with less than 30 cars. Towards the end of the day, there were only a few cars on the track. With that few cars on the track, it's not a problem.

Back