• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AutoCross in the OC - Interested?

When do you want to AutoCross in OC?

• May

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • June

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • July

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters
Soooooo bad news and good news. AMCI (www.amcimarketing.com) wants 3000.00 for the event which means we'd end up around 125.00 per driver for 40 drivers including Pizza, porta-potties and ez-ups. This would get us the same amount of track time we're used to - lots but it's a lot more than the 72.50 we paid last year.

Good news is cal-club (SCCA-SOLO2) is now doing events there again as seen here for 60.00 albeit less runs.

Bottom line is unless there's overwhelming response to this post to do it for the higher amount, next week I'm going to cancel the reservation I have for either July 1st or July 8th and we'll keep searching for homes to host our autocrosses.

The pro's for an event here is:
- it's close
- it's controlled
- it's NSX only
- the pizza would be really good :biggrin:
- you'd get as much seat time as hollywood park
- you can bring friends and family to see how cool you are

Con's are
- you can save 50 bucks by doing it with SCCA if you can live with 12 runs for the day
- you can bring your friends and family to see how cool you are :smile:

Let's get some posts on what you guys want to do. I'll happily put it together if everyone can handle the 125 entry.

Dave

Interesting. I ahve to check with the NSXCA to see if our insurance will cover members who are not driving their NSX's. I'm really not sure. We'll check it out.

Another suggestion is we can get the price down as low as 90ish if everyone brings their own shade. $5.00 each for costco pizzas and we're off to the autocross.

Thoughts?

Dave

Hmmm ... I'm not a member of NSXCA, I do have an NSX, but I don't want to autocross it.

I prefer to bring my own shade and July 8th works best for me.

What is the plan for this event? How many run groups? How many workers? If I were allowed to participate, I wouldn't want more than 25 cars per run group.

SoCal-NSX said:
Interesting. I ahve to check with the NSXCA to see if our insurance will cover members who are not driving their NSX's. I'm really not sure. We'll check it out.

Another suggestion is we can get the price down as low as 90ish if everyone brings their own shade. $5.00 each for costco pizzas and we're off to the autocross.

Thoughts?

Dave

Nice! Yah, I can live with a $35 price reduction for wearing a hat, sunscreen and eating costco pizza. :cool: It may not be 'way under $100' as earlier proposed, but it's certainly a lot better.

W.. As for run group size, assuming one at a time, 25 would be awful. I would think it would have to be much less for it to flow smoother.

I've got an e-z up and costco pizza is fine by me:redface:

I'd much rather pay $90 and have it NSX only event then pay $60 and run with yahoo's in civics and neons:wink: :biggrin:

W, why don't you want to run your NSX???:confused:

91 X said:
W, why don't you want to run your NSX???:confused:

Funny thing, I just started autocrossing and I've already got 6 sets of tires for my autocross car and only 1 for the NSX. I gotta start burning through them or open a tire store.

tbNSX said:
W.. As for run group size, assuming one at a time, 25 would be awful. I would think it would have to be much less for it to flow smoother.

Agreed. If we have run groups of 20 cars and send them out 30 seconds apart, that would allow us to get in 7 runs in a 90 minute session including course worker changeover and random delays. With 40 cars split into 2 groups and four 90 minute sessions, we'd get 4/2x7=14 runs each.

A sample timetable with two run groups A and B:

6:00am course setup (maybe a little earlier)
7:30am tech and registration
8:30am driver's meeting
9:00am group A
10:30am group B
12:00pm lunch
12:30pm group A
2:00pm group B
3:30pm clean-up

Those in group A would work the course when group B is running and vice versa.

We should place a sticker on everyone's windshields and mark the runs as they grid. This would afford people the luxury of making car changes during their run group.

Of course, this is just a suggestion with a lot of details still missing (who is running the event and when do they get to run,...).

W said:
Agreed. If we have run groups of 20 cars and send them out 30 seconds apart, that would allow us to get in 7 runs in a 90 minute session including course worker changeover and random delays. With 40 cars split into 2 groups and four 90 minute sessions, we'd get 4/2x7=14 runs each.

Actually for autocross events, it is probably better to setup more run groups than idle our cars and wait behind 19 cars. Have 3 run groups so that the A group doesn't have to rush to work corners when the B group is running.

Just a thought.

I too vote for keeping cost down and just go back to basics.

Last edited:
W said:
Hmmm ... I'm not a member of NSXCA, I do have an NSX, but I don't want to autocross it.
Doesn't the NSXCA insurance policy only cover members of NSXCA? That might be a stumbling block.

Da Hapa said:
Doesn't the NSXCA insurance policy only cover members of NSXCA? That might be a stumbling block.

That's why I asked. I also thought NSXCA sometimes helps fund these events. Of course, I'd pay the difference unless it exceeded the price of a membership.

It may be a moot point anyways as I already signed up for a driver's school July 1st.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's posts but for now, this is dead unfortunatelty. I got Irvine to come down on the price but it's still not enough to bring the price down to the prices most are expecting.

I'll repost in a month or so and we can taek another run at it in Sept/Oct after my son is born and I catch up on my sleep :)

Dave

Back