• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Autocross potential of the NSX

For now, I am pretty much sold on getting an NSX within 3 years time. A stroke of luck will let me replace my daily driver with the exact same car for pretty much no money, so I now I don't have to replace it with something new (BRZ was at the top of the short list).

I probably wouldn't campaign the NSX right away after I buy it because for my price point I'll need one that may require refreshing, plus it would be the first time I'd be driving M-R configuration, and the first time driving RWD other than a Miata (so way more hp/tq and more weight).

What is everyone's impression of the car for auto-x?

Stock class rules for SCCA don't leave many options for wheels because of the offsets. Are there options out there that I don't know about?

search all post by shrddr

Last edited:
What Docjohn said. :D Prime member shreddr competes at a national level in his NSX. It can be done with a big honkin' front sway and no rear sway bar, plus some Koni yellows.

Here is a quick reference for you.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1562339&postcount=1

Glad to see another Rochester native on Prime. :D

search all post by shreddr

What Docjohn said. :D Prime member shreddr competes at a national level in his NSX. It can be done with a big honkin' front sway and no rear sway bar, plus some Koni yellows.

Here is a quick reference for you.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1562339&postcount=1

Glad to see another Rochester native on Prime. :D

In case you're having trouble searching/finding the name, the user name is actually:
shrddr (there's no "e")
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/member.php?u=18173

I've autocrossed my NSX once. And while i had a blast doing it, I don't think it was the best suited car for the job. Gearing on the 1995 NSX I have is too long for the short track. So while I didn't have to shift often, I found it out of the power band a lot of the time.
The car is also pretty wide compared to Miatas and the other Civics out there.. so it's much easier to hit cones (which penalize you).
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Bhht2y2kjXk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'm no noob to autocross as I trophied at nationals two years ago in my Mazdaspeed Protege and I've been doing it since 2000. I'm also not a native Rochesterian, although I have now lived here longer than any other place (Milwaukee, Colorado Springs, San Jose).

Thanks to everyone for pointing me in the right direction. I haven't been on this site more than a week and I'm already impressed with the community.

Last edited:
I've autocrossed my NSX once. And while i had a blast doing it, I don't think it was the best suited car for the job. Gearing on the 1995 NSX I have is too long for the short track.
So like other cars it will be course dependent. We used to be able to run at Seneca Army Depot here locally, which we could run more open courses and the S2000s would be shifting into 3rd quite often. My Mazdaspeed was never fast enough to get out of 2nd gear, but I can sympathize with being out of the powerband because I was often out of boost in tight corners and I don't left foot brake. Unfortunately we lost Seneca and run mostly at a local university. One of the other local regions started running at Ralph Wilson Stadium and I have heard good things, so maybe all is not lost with our region.

Running my friend's Miata in CSP last year was fun because it was NA, ran 275s all around, weighed nothing, and was tiny so you could thrash it all over the place and get away with a lot of mistakes. Right now I am building a car for SM-F, but a turn of events with my daily driver has opened up the opportunity for my wife and I to buy a true sports car. I'll still run the SM-F car, but it won't be competitive so it's mostly just a fun project where I can learn as much as possible about engines, transmissions, etc.

My wife would back me in purchasing an NSX on the condition she can drive it now and then, so now it's my job to research everything possible about the car and see if it's right for me. Too bad I don't know anyone local that could let me check out the car and maybe give me a ride in one.

got your PM :)

i'm glad to see others showing interest in the NSX as an autocross platform! anyway, check your PM's... let's talk.

The NSX always puzzled me why it never showed up to events and why no one ran one nationally. Based on pure numbers it should be able to do just fine and even win. S2000 is down on power, has no torque, 200lbs less, and has better gearing for short courses. The Solstice GXP Z0K has the same power, torque, weighs less, but has to wait for the turbo. I've never driven one with the Z0K so I can't speak to the handling, but the turbo punches you in the face when it spools. Not to mention you'd look a lot better driving an NSX than anything else in its class.

Vivek, thanks for the PM. Again this is preliminary discussion, but I'll drop you a line when I am less busy. I have three wedding weekends in a row plus I plan on getting my project car started up and running very soon and that's taking up my evenings.

The NSX always puzzled me why it never showed up to events and why no one ran one nationally. Based on pure numbers it should be able to do just fine and even win. S2000 is down on power, has no torque, 200lbs less, and has better gearing for short courses. The Solstice GXP Z0K has the same power, torque, weighs less, but has to wait for the turbo. I've never driven one with the Z0K so I can't speak to the handling, but the turbo punches you in the face when it spools. Not to mention you'd look a lot better driving an NSX than anything else in its class.

Long wheelbase and heavy steering are the main factors holding the car back in Solo II. It makes the car a bit of a struggle to drive around the course initially and probably turns owners off as a result. You have to remember the NSX was designed for road course performance and that is where the car really shines, even today against modern sports cars. It is only when enterprising members like Vivek take a chance on it and invest time and $$ in development and practice that you see results. But, fundamentally you are correct- mid-engine, center fuel tank, fully independent suspension and a flat torque curve should equal good performance. If you watch Vivek's videos, he does almost the entire course in 2nd gear.

Vivek, thanks for the PM. Again this is preliminary discussion, but I'll drop you a line when I am less busy. I have three wedding weekends in a row plus I plan on getting my project car started up and running very soon and that's taking up my evenings.

the NSX is within striking distance... but is an underdog for several reasons:

1. the power advantage is not as great as you would think. an autocross-prepped B-stock NSX weighs right around 3000 lbs., and puts out around 255-260whp. by contrast, a fully prepped s2000 CR weighs around 2700 lbs., and puts out 210-215whp. so in terms of power to weight ratio... the NSX is pushing 11.5 lb/hp and the CR is pushing 12.5 lb/hp. advantage NSX for sure... but that's not much.

2. despite weighing 300 lbs less than the NSX, the CR can actually fit MORE overall tire than the NSX. on the stock rims, i can fit 245s in the front and 295s in the back. the s2000 CRs fit 275s all the way around. their peak/sustained g's around a sweeper destroy the NSX (confirmed by data logging my car vs. a national level driver in a CR).

3. the NSX is surprisingly good in transitions. despite being a couple of inches wider than the s2000s, it does not lose much ground to them in slaloms. attribute this to the stability of the MR layout.

4. the s2000 has a 5.5" shorter wheelbase. that is significant! shorter wheelbase means less steering input needed for the same maneuver, which means less work for the tires, which means higher cornering speeds.

5. while the s2000 is way down on torque, the AP2/CR is geared rather short which means it's rpms dont drop as significantly as the older AP1 s2000s. the NSX digs out of a corner better... but the CR is really not that bad either.

having driven both cars extensively... my rough estimate is that:

- for every 2.5 seconds of FULL throttle acceleration, the NSX picks up 0.1 seconds over the s2000 (in the 30-60mph range). given that national's type courses tend to have 15-20 seconds of full throttle time, that translates to a 0.6-0.8 seconds advantage to the NSX based on acceleration.
- the s2000 is 0.1-0.3s quicker in every sweeper. longer gentle sweepers seem to be closer, but tight 90s are the NSX's bane... and the s2000s (because of their short wheelbase and high peak grip) pivot through those elements effortlessly.

all in all... i think the NSX has a fighting chance... but it is an underdog. it all depends on what your goals are. if your goal is to win a trophy at nationals... it is totally doable in the NSX. i have trophied at multiple national events, and even won a couple of pro solos! but if your goal is to win at the national championships... then it is going to be a massively uphill battle.

at this year's nationals (coming up in 5.5 weeks!!!)... if i am not able to coax the car to a top 3 finish, i am probably going to quit autocrossing the NSX seriously (i still will locally). i am driven to win a national championship, and i have put a lot of work into dialing a setup and adjusting my driving... so if i am not able to do it this year... it may be time to stop beating a dead horse :). last year for the pro finale, while my car was down for the season, i jumped into an s2000 CR that i had never driven before and won the class by 9 tenths (and beat the car owner, who won the solo national championship)... so while i have improvements i want to make to my driving... i can drive fairly quickly.

i guess my point is... figure out what your goal is... and determine a plan of action from there :)

Back