• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Avon Tech M500 - early life report

Interesting chain of events has recently allowed me to rework my street tire and wheel setup. Originally on OEM 16/17, was running A022 fronts with BFG KDW2 rears and was pleased with performance, although the KDW2s were pushing the A022s around, and the KDW2 is very stiff and noisy.

I have Tein RA coilovers 10Kg F&R springs. To ease the bumps on the street I decided to go a little softer on the sidewalls and chose Avon Tech M500 in 215/40/17 265/35/18 combo on Tecnomagnesios.

On the street they have a nice enough ride offering a good supply of grip. They are rather slippery when new and take a long time to break in, almost 300 miles or so. Very quiet, but steering response is a little slow resulting in less than spectacular turn in. Otherwise very well behaved in both dry and wet conditions. Certainly not the most aggressive tire I've driven, but when I want track level performance, I put on my track set of tires and wheels.

Speaking of the track, I did some Spec Miata racing over the weekend. During the lunch downtime we give worker rides in any car which meets tech. I bring the NSX for such purpose since it gives me a few extra laps and offers the workers a treat.

The M500 surprised me for a relatively inexpensive street tire. Absorbed bumps well, had very smooth and manageable break away. Amazingly stable under heavy braking, still not particularly sharp in steering response. Nothing wierd going on, I drove well within what was reasonable for the conditions, i.e. no roll cage or fire suit, had a valuable worker/passenger, etc.

Although I thought I was being rather conservative, the track Officials clocked me 1.5 seconds slower (1:30 laps) than my fastest NSX time on R-compound rubber. This resulted in having a short discussion in which they expressed some concern. After 6 years of instructing/racing with this organization, we all know each other pretty well. I explained myself and they were cautiously satisfied.

While there are grippier more responsive tires, the M500 ain't bad. Weighing performance vs. street comfort, I'd have to say this tire is worth taking a second look at. Just give it a couple of weeks to break in.

While there are grippier more responsive tires, the M500 ain't bad. Weighing performance vs. street comfort, I'd have to say this tire is worth taking a second look at. Just give it a couple of weeks to break in.

I agree wholeheartedly. I had the M500s on my S2k and NSX and I wouldn't hesitate to get them again.

Otto

I have these on my GS430. For the price, you can't beat em, but they can get a little loud . To put it in perspective, on the highway they are nearly as loud as the AVS100s but more so than my winter Michelin Alpin snow tires.

I keep the OEM yokos on the NSX. Love them. Of course, we are talking about 2k miles in the last 3 years vs 30k in 9 months.

We have the M550 A/S on our SC400 and I've been equally impressed. Tire wear isn't as good as I would have liked (make sure to rotate them often) but the difference in handling, rain, even snow, over what we had previously was really surprising. Especially for such an inexpensive tire.

I've been recommending them to every person who asks me about what tire to get.

Back