• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AZ photo enforcement

I will be driving on I-10 through Phoenix to Tucson between Christmas and New Year. I was wondering if AZ still have mobile photo enforcement on I-10 and are there still photo speed traps going through Phoenix?
Thanks for any info.
Tom

Mind your speed when you get closer to Phoenix

inbound I-10 is a common speeding zone and you can expect to see more officers out there hiding given the holidays

Speed limit is higher on the 10 between Phoenix and Tucson so that helps you make up some time

Was some construction on the 10 near Tucson a few weeks ago, maybe one of our Tucson friends can confirm

Retired law enforcement in AZ here. If you get a photo ticket anywhere in AZ...ignore it...completely! The jurisdiction must personally serve you with the actual complaint within 90 days of violation. Considering the fact that it takes them at least 30 days to get the citation to you in the mail, they have very limited time to find you.

Departments also only follow up on citations in the same county where the violation occurred. So, if you live in Pinal County and get a photo ticket in Maricopa County, don't sweat it! You will never hear from them with the exception of getting a copy of the citation in the mail. Just toss it in the trash when you get it.

Another thing....nothing, I mean nothing will happen to you or your driver's license, unless you are served face to face, with the original complaint (ticket).

Now, wanna avoid all future photo tickets in AZ???? Simple, do one of two things:

1) Put the car your wife drives in your name. Put the car you drive in your wife's name. When your wife gets a photo ticket, they will put your name on the citation. Process servers cannot serve a citation to a guy when the name on it belongs to a lady. In short, the process server cannot ever find out who your wife is.

2) Even better...put all of your cars in the name of your LLC. The citation will be mailed to the address of your LLC (okay if it is your home address). These citations will not ever be followed up on since they belong to a "company." There is no way for the jurisdiction to figure out who the driver is and they need that information for the citation. Like the above, a copy of the citation will be mailed to you but it will be in the name of the LLC. Toss it in the trash.

Now, to get your registrations in the name of your LLC, or place the name of the car you drive in the name of your wife, all you need to do is go down to MVD (or a second party registration company) with your vehicle registration, your driver's license (only used to show who you are, info is not put on registration), LLC paperwork (if you are going to register them in your LLC) and a check for $12. That is it!

Second Party Vehicle Registration Company: There are tons of them all over town in Arizona. Just Google "second party vehicle registration company phoenix). You can go to them instead of MVD and take care of any part of your vehicle registration process. There is never a line and the employees are not government workers, i.e.: they can actually speak English and think for themselves. The other thing is you get everything handed to you right there. NO waiting for registration, plates, etc., coming though the mail. The cost is minimal for this service...maybe $5. Well worth the money!

Now, if you get pulled over by an officer while you are ion the freeway, be polite, and ask the officer if they can write the ticket for "ARS 29-702.01.A, "Waste of Finite Resources." The cost for this citation is only $60 and no points on your license so your insurance company will never know. For this to be applicable you must actually be speeding on an Arizona or US Highway. Doesn't work on county or city streets. Most officers will cite this violation unles you are way over the speed limit. Why?...because they still get "recap" (credit) for a citation...the violation type doesn't matter to the officer's supervisor.

Last edited:
Thought it was 120 days....

Retired law enforcement in AZ here. If you get a photo ticket anywhere in AZ...ignore it...completely! The jurisdiction must personally serve you with the actual complaint within 90 days of violation.

We did the trip to LA and back over the holidays and I was surprised how few patrol cars I saw out on the 10.

I saw two out to LA and one back to PHX...

-

btw, the drive from LA to Vegas and back, it really sucks and traffic is fubar

Back