• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Backup camera

Seen a few on here .... some mount it right where the trunk key hole is and others have used the ones which mount on the rear plate like a frame which is the route in leaning towards. Im hoping to get the nav pod and mount a screen integrate the nav and backup cam and I would be so happy.

I think I've narrowed it down to the BOYO VTL422HD & the Boyo VTL425. & the 422C.

The issue is that... what is the difference? The "HD" implies that it's.. HD and/or a little higher resolution. However, I'm finding it hard to find real specs and reviews on itl and it's cheaper, and 1 review on Amazon is not very good... Will need to do more research.

Last edited:
I think I've narrowed it down to the BOYO VTL422HD & the Boyo VTL425. & the 422C.

The issue is that... what is the difference? The "HD" implies that it's.. HD and/or a little higher resolution. However, I'm finding it hard to find real specs and reviews on itl and it's cheaper, and 1 review on Amazon is not very good... Will need to do more research.

Since your not using it for security reasons do you really need the HD ?

Since your not using it for security reasons do you really need the HD ?

What do you mean "for security" reasons? I want to have the highest resolution possible. The specs indicate 520 LTV and higher pixer count than the other Boyo's.. so I figure it has to be at least as good.

Higher resolution the better, right?

To the poster below - yes! I'd love to be able to see reverse while I'm driving. I'll have to figure out how to write that.. but that is also one of the reasons.

Getting out of my house has low lighting conditions, uphill reversing from the garage and it's tricky. The more tools I have that can assist me in that effero, the better imo..

I think it would be useless for that because of the focal length being close up.

Bingo. Backup cameras have a wide angle and are made for seeing things near the car, not 10 yards away or more while driving. There aren't many things worth looking at from 1 foot off the ground. Also, how big and how hi-res is the screen you'll be using to take advantage of all this resolution?

I think it would be useless for that because of the focal length being close up

I just need a good image not a great one for backing up.

Bingo. Backup cameras have a wide angle and are made for seeing things near the car, not 10 yards away or more while driving. There aren't many things worth looking at from 1 foot off the ground. Also, how big and how hi-res is the screen you'll be using to take advantage of all this resolution?

What they said. I've also seen it on the key hole. Although, that's an elegant location it seem practically useless since the angle does not point down to the bumper. The whole point of the backup camera is to see where you're reversing. You have to have a wide-angle lens that captures objects in relation to your rear bumper as well.

Don't get a cheap cam. Get at least a CCD. Don't even bother with the CMOS ones.

Do you hook it up to the transmission or the circuit for the reverse lights so that the head unit knows when to flip to that input?

Seen a few on here .... some mount it right where the trunk key hole is and others have used the ones which mount on the rear plate like a frame which is the route in leaning towards. Im hoping to get the nav pod and mount a screen integrate the nav and backup cam and I would be so happy.

+1. That is my dream set up also. I really wish I could find a nav system with FRONT on/off switch that fits the oem nav pod.

Also, how big and how hi-res is the screen you'll be using to take advantage of all this resolution?

+1
Yeah, most Double Din have 7" screens with QVGA resolution or 480x240 (or 0.1 MP). The highest I've seen is WVGA or 800x480 (0.3 MP).
That's pretty low res.

Back