• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bad Fuel Guage Sender?

Does this sound like a bad fuel gauge sender?

When filling the tank the gauge goes to full, but heads to empty too soon and inconsistently. I've been down below an 1/8 of a tank remaining on the gauge with anywhere for 4 to 8 gallons left. Right now it is at 1/2 with about 14 gallons left.

I pulled the fuel gauge sender (after figuring out where the maintenance panel was hidden) to check it out (mostly out of curiosity). With the sender out I moved the floater to the full and empty positions per the service manual and the gauge seems to respond properly.

I think the sender just isn't transmitting a consistent volatge anymore and needs to be replaced, but thought I'd to run it by the folks here before replacing it.

It's a '91 BTW.

Thanks,
Todd

Don't worry... the fuel light will only come on when you use up almost 16+ gallons of the 18 gallon tank (usually close to 400 miles on the odometer). Mine comes on way after 0, and I was also concerned when I first bought mine-- to the point I had the dealer replace the sending unit....

------------------
Biaggi
92 Red NSX #483
94 CBR900RR

Does your gauge read even close to accurately though? I'm watching the odometer so I'm not worried about running out of gas, I just want to replace it at some point in the near future if it's bad.

Thanks (again),
Todd

I wish I were still getting the 400 miles to a tank. But thanks to Mr. Basch I'm getting a lot less, funny thing though, I'm having more fun with less gas !!

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

What kind of mileage do you get with the SC? (Not that it has any bearing on wanting one
wink.gif
)

Todd:
Yes my guage is right on! Just trust your low fuel light.... it will come on eventually... try running past 0 and keep a mental note of what the odometer reads when your light comes on.

---- I wish I had the SC --- but I'm very satisfied with the speed of the stock NSX ;-D
If I need speed that's what the RR's for...vroom vroom....

------------------
Biaggi
92 Red NSX #483
94 CBR900RR

Ahh. I think I get it. The low fuel light is separate from the regular sender/gauge so I don't need to worry about running out of gas before the light comes on. (still need to fix sender, really bugs me being wrong)

The SC comment was in reply to 92NSX saying Mr. Basch had effected his gas mileage.

Thanks,
Todd

Back