• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bad vibration under hard acceleration

I drove my car on Saturday and it was fine. I go to drive it Sunday and when I accelerate I start to feel a vibration and as you keep accelerating the vibration gets worse. It doesnt seem to do it every time but it does it 7 out of 10 times. Almost feels like it could be the right rear. I checked to make sure the lugs were tight and jacked it up and couldnt feel any play in the wheel. Could this be a axle? Or possibly something in the transmission? The transmission shifts fine and if you dont drive the car hard you dont get any vibration. I am supercharged so when i floor it there is a decent load on the drive train. Any ideas?:confused:

My NSX is stock LOL never any issues EVER.... LOL your machine is to damn strong.

could be your axle or wheel bearings. check to see if your tires have any bulges (probably from hitting a pothole) that can possibly throw rotation off.

Tires would be the first quick thing to check.
(After some mountain driving, the belts shifted on both rear tires of my NSX and I was actually showing some belt. The whole way home bad vibration occured when trying to cruise at normal highway speeds of 80ish mph. After figuring out my issue, I was driving at 65, then 60, then 55, etc. to minimize vibration and finally made it home, lol.)
This doesn't exactly match your issues since your vibration occurs on acceleration, but it doesn't discount the possibility of a random bulge on the tread section of one your tires (which would definitely throw things out of wack).

And then definitely check axles and wheel bearings.
(I was having serious vibration issues in my Civic on hard acceleration after installing new axles and they went away after swapping out axles. Turns out one of the Advance Auto Parts axles I bought was about an inch too short compared to stock, but would still bolt up. So I think the vibration was being caused by the axle being over-extended/stretched between the transmission and the knuckle/hub. Exchanged the axle making sure the new one was longer and problem solved.)
That being said your issue probably is not in the axle since you haven't recently changed axles. Which would lean towards the wheel bearing having gone bad. But then again you checked and found no play. Were you checking for wheel bearing play or that the wheels were mounted correctly?

Good luck with it Ron. Let us know what you find out.

This. It was the passenger one for me.

x2. AXLE for sure.

If it's under acceleration more than likely won't be wheel bearing... but the axle.

I had an axle give me insane shake under accel but no other times... boot wasn't ripped either!

Replaced in whole, no issues since. Was somewhat hard to first diagnose as well.

I'm thinking its the axle. No play in the wheel bearing and tires are new. What's strange is on my S2000 I had axle issues with vibration but it slowing happened as the cups wore out and got scarred. I'm going to pull the passenger axle and take it apart to check what it looks like. Axle is my thought since I have dealt with bad diffs and bearings. Wanted to see if anyone has had a similar problem. Just surprised the axle would fail at only
58k on the car

I'm thinking its the axle. No play in the wheel bearing and tires are new. What's strange is on my S2000 I had axle issues with vibration but it slowing happened as the cups wore out and got scarred. I'm going to pull the passenger axle and take it apart to check what it looks like. Axle is my thought since I have dealt with bad diffs and bearings. Wanted to see if anyone has had a similar problem. Just surprised the axle would fail at only
58k on the car

Mine did the same... and it was an axle I had previously replaced and had a lot less miles than that on it.

Crazy... but it happened. The boot wasn't torn either.

Update. I sent my axles into Gator racing axles to be rebuilt since just about every Honda I have owned has had failed axles. The passenger axles rollers had lost all
of their roller bearings in 2 out of 3 of the rollers and the 3rd one was failing also. Cost me $480 to have them totally rebuild and now they are much better

Update. I sent my axles into Gator racing axles to be rebuilt since just about every Honda I have owned has had failed axles. The passenger axles rollers had lost all
of their roller bearings in 2 out of 3 of the rollers and the 3rd one was failing also. Cost me $480 to have them totally rebuild and now they are much better
No offense but axles problems with low miles are a problem of how the car is been driven.
In the S2000, it's more common because some people use to drift it or use the diff frequently.

No offense but axles problems with low miles are a problem of how the car is been driven.
In the S2000, it's more common because some people use to drift it or use the diff frequently.
I bought a sports car to drive it and drive it hard. So no offense taken. My diff in the S2000 blew up too so it has upgraded driveline also. The only thing that offends me is a garage queen. Lol

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for the hijack, but how do you test wheel bearings? I know you can check off axis movement, but if you have the car in the air and spin the front wheel, a bad wheel bearing would prematurely stop the wheel....right?

Thanks
All of the wheel bearing failures I have experienced you can hear the grinding of the bearing and if it gets very bad you can feel play in the wheel when its jacked up in the air. Just for the record the way my axle failed was not from launching the car hard. It was from repeated high speed runs. The day this happened I was playing with a supercharged R8 and a 458 Itaila and we were doing 160mph runs. I wouldn't expect a 90k sports car to have broken axles from that. According to the owner at Gator Hondas grease they use in the axles is not very good and can't hold up to the to heat generated from going fast and the cups get hot spots.

Back