• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ball Joints (again)

Next time I attempt to take my baby to an Acura dealership, will someone knock some sense into me!! So far this year, I have been screwed by an Acura/Honda dealership three times (long stories). From now on, I'll either do the work myself, or drive 400 miles round tip and have Larry B. do it. Anyway, the lower front ball joint boots were toast on my new NSX when I purchased it, so I considered replacing the boots myself. Considering the cost of the Honda tool I decided to let the "professionals" do it. After paying for the tool, I figured, a lot of the cost savings would evaporate (so I thought). After the repair, I talked to the certified moron NSX technician, who volunteered that the repair went well, but I should know that there is some play in the lower ball joints. He insisted it was minor and I shouldn't worry about it. He just wanted to let me know. How nice! That seemed surprising, since it didn't show up in a PPI a few weeks before. I asked him if he used the prescribed Honda tool and he informed me he used a pickle-fork. ARGGGGGGG! I could have done that! I could have had the "fun" of wrecking the ball joints myself and saved $320. Well, a couple of weeks later, I got the car up on a lift, and the play was about 1/8". I would hardly consider that minor! So now I have to replace the ball joints. I have read many threads on the subject here on Prime and the more I read, the more confused I get. In addition, one of the thread links on ball joint replacement is now apparently broken. I saw that there were after-market part numbers listed on the broken thread, but now I can't access them. The fundamental question is, can I replace the ball joint (front lower) or not. I have access to a machine shop, arbor press and a lift. What would Primers recommend.

Sorry to hear the very common moron story with the ball joint once again. You can't replace it with Honda parts unless you buy a complete new arm or source one from a wrecked car. Or - if the service still exists - wait for the link to function again.

Personally I'd source one of a wrecked car. There are plenty of them already. :D

I know the honda tool is not cheap. I was at Harbor Freight one day and found this. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=99849
I have used 3 times already. On my integra and prelude and my nsx. It works great. Its only 20.00 bucks. I know its not the honda one but it look just like it in the manual. To use it i just put it on torqued it on and with a couple of taps with a hammer on the little nub where the threaded part of the ball joint goes in and pop goes the ball joint.

Last edited:
I know the honda tool is not cheap. I was at Harbor Freight one day and found this. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=99849
I have used 3 times already. On my integra and prelude and my nsx. It works great. Its only 20.00 bucks. I know its not the honda one but it look just like it in the manual. To use it i just put it on torqued it on and with a couple of taps on the little nub where the threaded part of the ball joint goes in and pop goes the ball joint.

Thanks for sharing. This is exactly what I need. I will pick it up today.

I have used 3 times already. On my integra and prelude and my nsx. It works great. Its only 20.00 bucks. I know its not the honda one but it look just like it in the manual. To use it i just put it on torqued it on and with a couple of taps with a hammer on the little nub where the threaded part of the ball joint goes in and pop goes the ball joint.

Alllllllright! Now, we're talking. Thanks for the post. I have a Harbor Freight about 4 miles from here. I'll pick one up tomorrow! I wish I had found this before I let the stealership wreck my ball joints with a pickle fork. Perhaps, I should tell them where to get a ball joint tool so they won't wreck someone else's joints. Perhaps I should tell them to... Oh, never mind!

Thanks!!!!
Gary

To SCOTCHTZD who recommended the Harbor Freight Tool above... Bless You! The tool works fantastic! No drama, pounding, breaker bars, or swearing required. Before I could fully tighten the bolt with a 9" ratchet I got the welcomed "pop" times 3. Make sure you follow the instruction in the NSX Shop Manual and liberally grease the threads and end of the threaded push bolt. That's all there is to it. It was harder to get the two flat head retaining screws out of the rotors than to remove three ball joints. Thanks for saving me $130 bucks.

Gary:biggrin:

I have heard horror stories about the NSX and its ball joints. The wrong half assed tool can really mess stuff up, and improper removal of the actual ball joint from the control arm has to be very centered cause the LCAs can bend and/or crack. I can't believe that jerk charged you over 300$ to use a pickle fork, I hope he wasn't dumb enough to put that on an air hammer or anything.

For future reference, what ball joints where you guys using as a replace? Does Acura sell the ball joints separately?

For future reference, what ball joints where you guys using as a replace? Does Acura sell the ball joints separately?

Unfortunately, Acura does NOT sell the ball joints separately. You must buy the complete knuckle. I sent my knuckles to Steve SMGNSX in California. He replaces the bad joints with custom new ones. It is lot cheaper than replacing the knuckles, however, I would hesitate to call it inexpensive. I am waiting for UPS to return the knuckles to me.

I have heard horror stories about the NSX and its ball joints. The wrong half assed tool can really mess stuff up, and improper removal of the actual ball joint from the control arm has to be very centered cause the LCAs can bend and/or crack. I can't believe that jerk charged you over 300$ to use a pickle fork, I hope he wasn't dumb enough to put that on an air hammer or anything.

There was no indication of damage to the knuckle or LCA (no hammer marks or cracks). I used the tool from Harbor Freight ($20) and it work perfectly. Popped them suckers right off.

Unfortunately, Acura does NOT sell the ball joints separately. You must buy the complete knuckle. I sent my knuckles to Steve SMGNSX in California. He replaces the bad joints with custom new ones. It is lot cheaper than replacing the knuckles, however, I would hesitate to call it inexpensive. I am waiting for UPS to return the knuckles to me.

I see, so you need the tool to take the knuckle off without damaging anything else and you still have to outsource the ball joints. Interesting....

I agree with you.......INTERESTING?

Disappointing is a better word! The ball joints are easy to get out (with the proper tool), so why would Honda not supply the replacement parts, especially since they are high wear items?:frown: All you need is a $20 ball joint tool from Harbor Freight and a pair of snap ring pliers and they come right out.

Well, my rebuilt knuckles arrived today from SMGNSX with the new ball joints installed. They look beautiful! They are already installed. All I have to do now is align the front end and it's a done deal. If you need ball joints, give Steve Ghent (SMGNSX) a call.

I am very happy for you! Hopefully the nightmare ends now!
All the best, Paul.

Thanks, Paul. Instead of a nightmare, let's justs call it a learning experience. From now on I will stay away from Stealerships! I should have listened to you, and did the job myself. It really wasn't that bad. I've talked to Larry Bastanza, and he will be doing the TB / WP thing in the spring. No more dealers for me. Warm weather can't come soon enough! I've got cabin fever! :eek:

All the best to you, also,
Gary

Back