• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

BBSC pulleys?

ADDENDUM 5/13/10--- See my last message... Pulleys for $100 with quick turn around!

Guys,

I'm looking to have a machinist here in Phoenix make me a pulley. I've got the hexagonal center punch required to make the middle part of the pulley.

the more people we get on board, i think the easier it will be to convince the guy i used originally. He'd like to do a minimum of 5 to make it worth his while making a bit to grind the grooves into the aluminum blanks.

I'm guessing it'll be in the $200 per pulley range. If it's cheaper, you'll get a refund. If it's more expensive, i'll hold the pulleys until you pay the difference.

So.. who's in? I've had PM's over the past couple years several times regarding pulleys.

I've got a 3.77 which makes 8.5+ psi through an aftercooler. I'm looking for 10 psi.... any guesses for size? i'm thinking 3.5"?

gerry

Last edited:
Re: group buy BBSC pulleys?

I dropped off one of my spare pulleys at the machinist today. He said he figures $15 for the aluminum blank, and $45/hr shop time.. he thought it would be in the $150+ range for a pulley.

I'm having a 3.6" pulley made.. aiming for 10 psi, aftercooled.

Let it rip!!!

I have a bunch of pulleys, but havent checked their size. I also have the crank , and alternator pulleys as well.

I have a 10lb pulley Im running right now & it puts out 9lbs after the intercooler.I can give you the size for that one I'm looking to go with a 12lb pulley if someone can give me the size for that one.

Ok everyone, I have been trying to do this for a while now but work and school has been keeping me busy. I got a pulley made from a local machine shop and I am making more boost. So I just wanted to update everyone on the pulley. After installing the pulley and a smaller belt I took the car to the dyno. The car started making more more boost on the low end but dropped off after 6k rpm. The belt was slipping so I tightened it up all the way and it didn't do any good as it was still slipping. So had to go get another size smaller belt, which solved the belt slippage issue.The supercharger started making about 12psi with this pulley but I had to stop at 7k RPM because it started running lean (high 12s to low 13s A/F ratio). It will probably make about 13-14psi if I was able to rev to redline/8k RPM. We tried adding more fuel on the AEM EMS but didn't do much good. I have 660cc injectors but I am running a stock fuel pump. I ordered a 255lhp fuel pump and I should get it by Tuesday. Hopefully I should be able to get her back on the dyno sometime late next week(if I can get the pump installed).

I was surprised to see so much boost with that pulley specially since I have an after-cooler. I am guessing this is because I am running a modified stock crank pulley which was done by Comptech. (I wanted to keep the dampener)

The power curve looks very appealing, mid-range there were good gains ranging from 25whp to about 45whp and still had more to go. I know not everyone is comfortable running such high boost with stock internals but I would like to see what it is capable of.

If anyone is interested in the pulley just let me know and I will get the machine shop to make a few more of these. The pulley will run about $125-$150 (I am still trying to work him down on the price:wink:) depending how many I get made.

Here is a list of mods on my NSX.
Stock internals
Ported and Polished intake manifold Detailed info click here
Removed the VVIS completely making the manifold shorter
SOS big bore throttle body
Top speed headers
test pipes/cat delete
DC sport exhaust
BBSC N2000 Picture1 Picture2
Modified stock crank pulley by Comptech
After-cooler
Front heat exchanger from a supercharged Mustang Cobra
Greddy BOV
660 cc RC injectors
AEM EMS
Custom made 4" intake piping with the air filter sitting in the side vent.Picture1 Picture2 Picture3

Hope this info is helpful.
I will keep you posted.

Rahim

what siz3 pulley is it?

careful with overtightening. you'll be buying new bearings for the carrier arm before you know it. I run it just barely tight enough to not slip. I will tighten it, then if there's no slip, i loosen it until there is. then i tighten a teeny bit more.

Question if I have a spare 7lb pulley can this be machined down to a 12lb pulley or do you have to start fresh with a blank pulley?

doubtful, unless your pulley is a "hockey puck" without any removal of center mass. I'd guess a 12lb pulley is 3.2-3.3", and your 7lb pulley is probably 4.2+

fwiw my 8.5lb pulley, aftercooled, is 3.77" my 10 lb pulley (at least, i hope it turns out to be 10 lbs) is goin to be macined to 3.6"

what we really need is some list where diameter/aftercooler/size is listed.

Last edited:

What makes it worse is the two different Novi sizes- I've got a 1000, but I bet most of you guys running aftercoolers are running the 2000 unit. No idea what the relative boost is for the same size pulley.

maybe someone can chime in, but my impression was teh 1000 and 2000 produced the same boost, but different CFM. So i'd expect the pulley sizes to be the same?

what siz3 pulley is it?

careful with overtightening. you'll be buying new bearings for the carrier arm before you know it. I run it just barely tight enough to not slip. I will tighten it, then if there's no slip, i loosen it until there is. then i tighten a teeny bit more.

Sorry for the late reply, been busy with finals.

The pulley size is 3.1875" give or take .05"

I can have him make a 3.4" pulley which I think would be right about 12-12.5 psi.

OK GUYS. My machinist here in phoenix made my pulley... grand total of $100! that included him having to buy a belt to make sure the grooves fit appropriately, so the next pulley doesn't have that charge ($15).

He said if i do more than 1 pulley, it gets even cheaper (than the $85), as his machine would already be set up.

I think this is it! easy access to bbsc pulleys! Woohoo!

anyone wanting pulleys, let me know and I'll get him moving on some.

gerry

ps i figure, for $85 (cheaper with more than 1 pulley made), who cares if it's the wrong size... i can sell it off or keep it.

Last edited:

Dang that is cheap. Great work man. I am still waiting to get my fuel pump put in. Hopefully this weekend I'll get it done.
SO what is the exact size you are getting made? Also just wanted to make sure we are on the same page here...where are you measuring the pulley size from?
Is it the higher grove on the inside of the pulley?

Thanks
Rahim

he uses a digital caliper to measure from the TOP of the groove on one side to the TOP of the groove on the other. My 3.77" pulley made 8.5psi doing this. I think he had machined that one down from 4.1" (7psi) but due to the shape of the middle of the pulley (it's thinner than the outside diameter) 3.77 was the minimal diameter he could do on that one.

now he just buys aluminum blanks so he'll make whatever size.

Wow! smoking price!! My car is suppose to be out next week, let me see what HP numbers im running, but would love some input on how far i can go and still be considered "safe" for my car. The pulley i have measures approx 4.2" (top to top now) I'll post my mods and lets see what we can do!

Wil

hey dudes, I'm having him make me another (3.5") just in case my 3.6 doesn't do it for me. they are so cheap i figured why not. He said he'll have it done on monday.

Anyone else want me to have a pulley made? It's easier to have him make more than one at a time. Figure $85/pulley.

I love this dude. he's about 80yrs old, hearing aids, stooped over. but has all his fingers... Charges me straight up, no BS.

Last guy i tried to use put me off for 4 months before i gave up and went to this guy. At least that jack ass couldve' just said "nah, not interested" instead of "Oh, i'll get on it tomorrow" for 4 months.

Wow! smoking price!! My car is suppose to be out next week, let me see what HP numbers im running, but would love some input on how far i can go and still be considered "safe" for my car. The pulley i have measures approx 4.2" (top to top now) I'll post my mods and lets see what we can do!

Wil

Good to hear that Wil. Let me know how that turns out man. Good luck.

Gerry - I'll let you know on the pulley by mid next week. The whether here is bad and I will not be able to put the pump in till next week now.

Looks like by the time i'm done here, i'll have 4 pulleys sitting here. 6ps, 8.5psi, maybe 9 psi and maybe 10psi. THese are through an aftercooler. non aftercooled would measure higher psi's i suspect.

I'll ship one out i'm not using if someone wants to buy.

I will take one for my Novi 2000 if you have the info for a 12lb pulley are the pulleys the same for the 1000 -2000 Novi? Pm me with your Ph # so we can discuss Thanks

Great job! I'd like a stock 6lb backup pulley for my Novi 1000.

Chuck,

That is 4.2", correct? I have a used one here if you want it. $65 plus shipping. if you want a brand new one, $85 plus SH. This will be made to SIZE, so we need to agree ahead of time. I don't want to send you a 4.2 and then you tell me you wanted 4.5 or something.

paypal me $85 plus SH or $65 plus SH (figure, $10?) depending on what you want. right now my 4.2 is just a paperweight in the garage, so i'd like to get rid of it, but if you want brand shiny new, that's fine too.

paypal addy is [email protected]

Hi guys My system came with 2 pulleys Im not sure if mine is 10lb or not it measures 4 1/4 inches on the car from lip bottom to lip top edge to edge on the dyno we are seeing 9lbs with the aftercooler can someone who has this same measurement confirm what lb pulley this is ?

is novi 1000 the weaker supercharge ? I forgot which one I got, but it was the weaker one, I think i'm doing 5 pound no aftercooler , and putting 350 to the wheel. what size pulley would be a good choice ? I have the hks vpro

Back