• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Belt slipping on your Comptech Supercharger? Got the answer!

After months of frustration with my 2.3L Whipple blower throwing belts, loosing boost at high RPM I finally finished the solution!

The problem is with the spring loaded belt tensioner. It is not needed, it is the problem! CT is the only SC kit out there that has a spring loaded tensioner on the 'drive' side of the belt run. There is no need to have an adjuster at all. Honda designed both belt runs on the NSX with out spring loaded tensioner, so they certainly work and work well enough for 'Father Honda' to bless them. I don't know why CT chose to put a spring loaded tensioner in...

I have made a very simple 'True Tension' adapter which replaces the tensioner, but retains the well designed adjuster on the CT belt system. All one will need to do is remove the pulley from the tensioner, remove the whole tensioner. Re-use the same bolts on the 'True Tension' adapter. Install the pulley on the 'True Tension' adapter, adjust as before and away you go. No more belt riding off the pulley under hard accelerations.

Parts are at the anodizer, hope to have them back by the end of the week. Will post pics then and put something in the vendor section when they are available.

loosing boost at high RPM I finally finished the solution!

And you said that was just a throttle control modification for MY driving style :biggrin: :wink: :confused:

And you said that was just a throttle control modification for MY driving style :biggrin: :wink: :confused:

...another issue all together...

Dave does the standard CTSC have the same issue? Or is this just with the 2.3 whipple?

Dave does the standard CTSC have the same issue? Or is this just with the 2.3 whipple?

They can all slip, the 1.6 L low boost I used to run always lost boost at high RPM. I thought it was just an issue of the blower not being big enough, but it may have been just simple belt slipping!

This part will be great with the newer Autorotor kits, as far as keeping the belt on at high boost.

You know I want one. Great work as always Dave.

Thanks Joe.

Will post when they are done, PM your shipping address! I still owe you for shredding your tires at Mid-Ohio!

Dave

Here is the finished part!

Nice and simple...

Attachments

• CT tensioner on plate with pulley.JPG
    CT tensioner on plate with pulley.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 218
  • TT tensioner getting pulley.JPG
    TT tensioner getting pulley.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 180
  • TT tensioner in place, back side.JPG
    TT tensioner in place, back side.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 189
Received the part today.... thanks! It will be about a month before I can get to the install..
In the meantime... a question:
What kind of boost change did you notice now that your belt is not slipping? I'm interested in the max boost you are getting with the larger Whipple...
thanks again,
--bruce

When I first ran mine on a dyno I was at about 11 PSI. After stopping the slippage I had 29PSI so I had to adjust my pulley size to bring down the boost.

...only 29 PSI, hmmm, nice Ken! Why adjust the pulley, just tune for the higher boost!

I think what most Comptech set ups will see is less drop off at top end RPM. Boost should stay stable, even keep building, when the standard for a high boost set up is to see the boost dropping after 7K RPM.

...only 29 PSI, hmmm, nice Ken! Why adjust the pulley, just tune for the higher boost!

I think what most Comptech set ups will see is less drop off at top end RPM. Boost should stay stable, even keep building, when the standard for a high boost set up is to see the boost dropping after 7K RPM.

I'm thinking that with your new device, I probably don't want to see a large increase in boost to, say, 10 or 12 (or 29! I assume that was not due to your new device).

I am currently running 7+ at a mile-high altitude, with F/IC AEM tuning... so I am happy to see that you think that this will mostly take care of the drop-off, and might also add a little bit of boost overall.

Here is my current boost chart, pre-installation of the true tensioner:

hpboostjan08web.jpg

..boost in green, on the right

Last edited:
Back