• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bent valves!?!?

I'll let you guys know what the leak test uncovers. I'm just hoping (and praying) that only the valves are damaged and NOTHING else. On the "I highly doubted it" side, I hope the valves are burnt and it'll be replaced for free. (haha) Out of curiosity, what can cause the valves to be burnt?

Thanks for some of the info you guys provided.

-tm

MRacer,

Sounds like you have gotten really good advise and your cousin should really be able to help with this one. One thing is, if you see an NSX valve you will know they can easily be bent and not necessarily ruin a piston. These babies are tiny and fragile!

Even looking at the valve stem diameter is a give away. Steve mentioned looking at the valve clearances, the way to go, IMO also. You can additionally look at the relative valve height, cylinder to cylinder, to see the same thing, with a reference.

In regard to a new motor vs. a rebuilt or replacement, I personally feel this is an economic decision. I would not exclude either way, until you finish shopping.

A used engine with low mileage, may just be a better deal. Now if you can somehow get free labor (your cousin must be cursing you out by now) the tear down and valve replacement may be more cost effective.

The other thing to consider is with any teardown, and this is NOT a chevy V8 with push rods, there is some risk.

If you did it all day, it's easy, but I do not know too many folks that do NSX engine rebuilds all day, even trained NSX techs!!!!!!

My whole point here is really think this all through, do your homework (read$$) before you rule out one way or the other.

HTH, My $.02
LarryB

John at Acura of Lynnwood (mention PacNW club for a discount on parts and labor) and Morgan at Acura of Portland are both good with the NSX.

Cheers,
-- Chris

------------------
Revolutionize your NSX with ScienceofSpeed
www.ScienceofSpeed.com | [email protected] | 877-863-4520

I'm not a mechanic, but does anyone know if it's safe to drive with bad valves? My gut instinct tells me NO since the valve controls letting in gas & air and sucking them out I don't want the bad valves to misdirect the flow. No I'm not going to drive the car in the current situation, but just in case I need to drive the car to another dealer/place to get it fix. Thanks.

-tm

tm,

I would not drive it. You are probably dumping unburned fuel into the cats and this is VERY bad.

The cats will overheat and unburned fuel will get through your piston rings and get into the oil. Let's not make matters worse.

HTH,
LarryB

Back