• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

best choice for another track car?

I am looking at opinions on best bang for buck, cost to modify and hp/tq upgrades a plus as well. Give me a list of cars that make good part time track monsters that cost $30,000 or less used.

If I were to build an all out fun track toy with that budget I'd get an S2K and do a full N/A build on the engine (ITBs, 2.5L, etc.) good suspension, bigger brakes, etc. and still have money left over.

Second choice would be a C5 Z06.

Last edited:
My buddy recently asked my recommendation for this same question and a C5Z, Evo, STi, M3, and Terminator are what I've recommended to him.

Last edited:
Within the Honda family:

DC2 ITR
AP1 S2000
EG Civic

Outside the Honda family:

Any Miata
Any F-body
Any C5 Vette
Any e36 M3
Any e30 M3

But really, I'm convinced that karting is the most inexpensive and most fun form of racing. 30k will set you up in style for literally years of kart racing.

Last edited:
RX7 with LS1 swap.

image.php

Used Sports 2000, hands down. TIGA, LOLA, MARCH, etc. Under $25K + tow car/trailer.

EDIT: Ooops, missed the "part time" part. Sorry.

Last edited:
Since you said part-time track car I'd like to propose two that aren't on many lists yet. They're too new to be full track cars without the willingness to flush money down the toilet, but they're probably better equipped than the older models which would make the off track driving more pleasant.

BMW 135i
Chevy Camaro

Honestly, first car that came to mind was a CRX.

You mentioned $30,000. You can make a track monster from a CRX or EG Civic Hatch for much much less than $30,000.

If your looking for a "part-time" track car. Evo's and STi's would be perfect.

Last edited:
You can pick up a well sorted e36 m3 for around $10k and go from there. I've seen many track ready e36 m3's for around $16k (rollcage, suspension, other upgrades). I plan to go this route eventually (once I get enough garage space).

The new Lotus' (Excige) are great cars and beat the crap out of most P-cars for a fraction of the price. Great on track and Autocross, not that pleasant to live with day to day, pretty loud inside. Most guys wear ear plugs.

Saw one hit a tire wall, no cracks, just some tire scuffs, most cars would be dented at least.

Great track car.

Tytus

V8 Miata.

My dad put a Ford 5.0 V8 in his 1994 Miata. To say it is fast is an understatement. Near 50/50 balance too. Total cost ~$10,000 and it will destroy pretty much anything on the track. Replacement parts are cheap and plentiful, as there are tons of Miatas out there and the 5.0 Ford community is huge.

Now that sounds like a kick! Are there swap kits readily available?

Nevermind, off to Google I go!

V8 Miata.

My dad put a Ford 5.0 V8 in his 1994 Miata. To say it is fast is an understatement. Near 50/50 balance too. Total cost ~$10,000 and it will destroy pretty much anything on the track. Replacement parts are cheap and plentiful, as there are tons of Miatas out there and the 5.0 Ford community is huge.

V8 Miata.

Can you post up more info on your dads car. Sounds sick!!

He used:

1. Swap kit from Monster Miata;
2. Donor Ford 302 EFI V8 from a beat up old 1989 Mustang LX (he picked up the entire car for $250!)
3. Tremec T-5 5-speed transmission
4. Ford Thunderbird differential (from junkyard)
5. 1994 Miata M Edition.

He daily drives this car and no one even realizes it is anything other than a little blue Miata...except for the strange rumble coming from the dual exhaust at idle and the "Powered By Ford" decals on the fenders (a la Cobra). Even with the untouched donor engine, it is in my dad's words, "stupid fast." He ended up getting some used GT-40 heads a couple of weeks ago and he hand-ported them this weekend. They're going out for a valve job and will be combined with a new intake manifold. Total cost, including valve job = $300. He also found a 70mm throttle body at the junkyard that fits. Total bump is expected to be +85hp over current output. Hes going to get the entire thing tuned with a wideband sensor and chip. :D I can't wait to drive it the next time I am in Florida!

My DE car is a Porsche 944 Turbo. You can find a pretty decent one for $6 to $10K, a mint one for $15K and there is a ton of after market track accessories for it and 50/50 weight distribution. The down side is shop repairs are pricey.

I vote for C5 Z06.

Best bang for the buck KARTING!, period. A little tougher on the body however.

Next, depending on what kind of racing you want to do I would recommend a dedicated race car. Part-time race cars usually don't last to long if raced much. The strain and stress of racing is too great and the potential for significant damage to body parts can get costly if in a car like a Z06, Porsche, Lotus, Viper, etc.

If a open wheel race car is not ruled out I would recommend a Formula Mazda. Best racing feel, driving, speed, cornering for the money. You can get them from $15K-$20k. Engines are bullit proof can't be over rev'd, and once you get the hang of the left foot braking and straight cut gearbox, it's pretty easy and huge fun.

Bondurant in Phoenix is running a fleet of these now and can be rented to test and learn. Be careful though, easy to get hooked. Budget dollars are in tires, tires, tires and some brake pads.

Wow, this thread really took off. I like the C6 vette or C5ZO6 as well. They have tons of mods available for them. However, I spoke with two young race drivers at NSXPO and they both said a vette has a few cooling problems with oil and engine temps. I wasn't aware of that until they mentioned it.

The Subbie and Evo are great cars but AWD is not what I am looking for. I rode in a Lotus Exige and thought that was a great car. In fact I think I have more head room in that car than my nsx actually. The lotus hauls ass and does lots of damage on the track(in a good way)

What do you guys think of the Cayman S? I did say part-time track car so that is my reasoning for this. Realistically I will never have a car just for tracking. It is too expensive and unless you have a membership to a track it is hard to get on more than 8-10 days every year.

I like the E46 M3 as well too. It isn't as light as the E36 but it is a better overall car for driving on the weekends as well.

I go for the Lotus Elise. Good handling car with kart like feeling, being so light, it's cheap on the up keep. I have tracked nsx/s2k/eg civic/crx/mazda3/miata/evo.

A pre-owned Radical SR3. Went through this very search two years ago and arrived at the Radical solution and haven't looked back. Handles better then nearly anything else, has been reliable, easy to work on (Hayabusa engine) and even has a passenger seat if you run club events.

Feff

Attachments

• On Track.jpg
    On Track.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 106
Back