• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best Running shoes?

Ok I have tried and returned 4 shoes Nike, Addidas. I am out of options. These shoes are cutting me just above the ankle, (have small ankles). Most old school shoes had lower part on the back now all shoes are hideous and look like moon boots. I change my shoes ever 4 months due to the amount of running I do 30 miles per week.

Need a running shoe for the following. Any foot docs or recommendations from anyone?

1. Low rear ankle support
2. well cusioned
3. light
4. non bling effect or moonboots look

Not a Doc, but I run a lot.

You will probably find one brand that fits you best. I only buy NB to actually run in these days, because NB generally fits me best of all the brands out there.

Any good real running store that sells running shoes should have a professional fitment guru who will help you. Try several different stores before you buy, because not all stores stock all brands.

b28a_1.JPG

Asics gel kayano's!! :smile:

Nobody can really answer this for you, everyone's feet are different. As pointed out you should go to a good running store and try on many different pairs. The store here actually allows you to buy, go test them out on a treadmill and return them if you don't like them. For me, my best fitting shoe is the Mizuno Wave Creation. If you wear the wrong shoes, they'll trash your feet. After doing a 10 miler in a pair of new Reeboks, I had to wear inserts in my shoes for 6 months and couldn't walk barefoot without severe pain. They eventually healed, but all that from a mere 10 miles in the wrong shoes.

I change my shoes ever 4 months due to the amount of running I do 30 miles per week.

Do you run marathons? I'm working my way towards my first...currently running just over 20 miles per week.

Nobody can really answer this for you, everyone's feet are different.

This is so true. I tried on a lot of different shoes over the years before I found ones that were a perfect fit for my feet and my particular running needs. Once you find something that works, it is hard to move away from them.

b28a_1.JPG

Asics gel kayano's!! :smile:

I totally dig my Asics Kayano-13s. Funny thing is that I didn't try any of the Asics gel shoes until my latest go at running even though I knew a lot of runners who were huge Asics fans. Was a long time Nike air guy before trying on a pair of Kayanos and immediately knew they were perfect for my feet: light, good amount of spring, solid arch support, and the perfect amount of breathing room for my toes.

I'm on my second pair of Kayano-13s for road running and have Asics Kahanas for the trails. I'm not as passionate about my Kahanas as the Kayanos, so I'll probably try a different model of trail shoe when I wear them out.

Last edited:
I personally like New Balance for running/workout shoes. Definitely go to a running store and try several brands/types to see what feels best.

One of my running friends referred to the Asics Kayanos as the NSX of running shoes. That was enough to convince me to try them. :D

Ironically, I switched from Nike to Asics before running in the Nike Run Hit Remix last year.

BTW, I wear New Balance running shoes as my normal walking shoes.

Last edited:
BTW, once you find that 'magical' shoe, it's recommended you stock up on them. Companies change their product line each year and you may not be able to get them again. Best time to do that is when they introduce the 'new and improved' model and discount the previous year's. My Mizunos are usually around $130ish, but I've seen them on close-out for as low as $40 when the new model is introduced.

BTW, once you find that 'magical' shoe, it's recommended you stock up on them.

Great advice. I got an amazing deal on my last two pairs of Kayano-13s because the 14s were about to come out.

I like my Saucony Progrids, got them on sale at Big 5 once for about $60 and couldn't be happier.

My next pair of running shoes once my knees get better will be these:

GoLite Carbon Fyre
8246-602700-d.jpg

Sleek and strong, the Carbon Fyre is a race-ready shoe.
Ultra-light carbon fiber cradle enhances the core support and flexibility for superior performance.
Isomorphic Suspension™ system.
NEOform™ seamless upper.
Air mesh upper for breathability.
Interlocking lacing system.
Trail Strike last.
The debris shield system is a combination of rubber sidewall panels and PU "dots" on the toe and heel to add protection in critical areas.
PreciseFit™ system allows an individual to customize their insole for a better fit.
Stabilizing heel cradle locks the heel in place, minimizing movement and friction.
The Varus wedge has specially shaped shims (or lifts) that are engineered to work with the footbed to aid in proper alignment of the foot.
PU midsole for cushioning.
Dual density EVA heel for increased stability
Anti-microbial footbed.
Trail Claw lugs.
Gripstick™ rubber is an exclusive high-grip compound that offers extra traction on slick surfaces, such as wet rocks, snow, and ice.
Race outsole has a symmetrical lug design that is specifically created for speed and support on uneven terrain, provides full performance at the lightest weight possible with an optimal weight-to-stability ratio, and is ideal for neutral runners.
Isomorphic Suspension™ system:
Designed specifically for vertically rugged terrain above the timberline.
When met with uneven terrain, the independent springs (Trail Claws) each react with their own level of displacement.
By isolating the uplift, the Trail Claws engulf the space created by the uneven terrain and the result is improved stability on the trail.
Trail Claws:
The pointed shapes improve traction, digging into loose dirt or interlocking on hard rock.
When compressed, the individual claws create even more surface contact and work in tandem with the surrounding claws to provide additional traction.
NEOform™ seamless upper:
A revolutionary patent-pending outer casing protects the foot from bruises and scratches caused by unforeseen obstacles.
The virtually seamless sculpted design eliminates chafe caused by interior stitching.
The ultralight foam does not absorb any water and increases comfort over time.
Trail Strike last:
The foundation of the shoe is built to accommodate changes the foot endures over long distances, which provides the right amount of freedom of movement to enhance the body's natural stability.
Anatomical shaping around the foot allows the toes to spread out upon footstrike.
Sculpted footbed holds the foot in place on ascents and descents.
Squared toe box acts as an additional protection bumper.

Last edited:
I like my Saucony Progrids, got them on sale at Big 5 once for about $60 and couldn't be happier.

My next pair of running shoes once my knees get better will be these:

GoLite Carbon Fyre
8246-602700-d.jpg

After reading that entire description I didn't one time see "UGLY" or "PUKE COLORED".. haha:biggrin:

I wouldn't pay $5.00 for those.. cause I would never wear them anywhere expect maybe in an actual race! :wink:

ASICS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having said that, the best running shoe is the one that fits your feet and running style regardless or price, color, name brand or style.

I know several runners and they all "run" Asics.:biggrin:

Jeff

When I'm in a race, I tend to look around at what other people are wearing, especially all the people in front of me along the way.... there's no particular brand that seems more prevalent than any other, but... Mizunos I don't see all that often.

I have the Asics Gel Nimbus VI. Totally awesome running shoes! I paid about $150 for them at a specialty running shoe store and they were worth every penny. Shitty part was about a month later, they were on clearance at a box outdoor store on clearance for less than 1/2 the price :mad:

I suggest going to a specialty running shoe store and spending the time and extra money (retail pricing) to go through their slew of fittings, measurements, tests, treadmill demo, etc to get the one that fits best for you. Some places will even let you run with them on a treadmill at your own gym after you purchase them to ensure that you will be happy, if not, return them or exchange them.

It all comes down to the type of foot you have in terms of shapes and your ability for your foot to naturally absorb shock. Our perfect shoe can be FAR from the perfect shoe for you.

I don't think you can pick a running shoe by brand. You'll need to try them on and check for the things you like and dislike. Once you find a brand and model that you like, you can typically purchase from the same company the next time you need a shoe (every 300-500 running miles) as long as the newer model uses the same mold (I believe it's called a "last"). I personally like the NB 1061 which is now the 1062. ROBR is right to say the models change quickly, usually within 1-2 years. A good running shoe retailler should be able to tell you which shoes use the same last.

Also, you should consider arch supports. The inserts that come with the shoes ("sock liners") provide little or no arch support. If you're serious about running, arch support will be your friend in the long run. Otherwise you'll need to look up plantar fasciitis on webmd.com. I use Superfeet green, the stiffest supports available.

I also recommend learning about different lacing techniques. You can make a shoe fit much better if you lace it properly. Cross lacing works well to keep my heel in place without any pressure on the toebox of the shoe.

Great advice guys, I have in the past bought two pairs when just right in sandels, work shoes, etc..

Here is what I bought from Nordstrom half yearly sale $59 bucks. unfortunatly they are half size up and Nike fits true. I did find them directly from nike for $85 right size. Good news is Nordstrom has good customer service and will take shoes back if they cause discomfort, bad news is they dont have my size so I need to decide if I should buy different style or keep looking, or pay up and buy direct from addidas or nike. I did try some NB and Asics as recommended they are pretty nice shoes.
Keep you posted :)

Attachments

• tbnike.jpg
    tbnike.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Great advice guys, I have in the past bought two pairs when just right in sandels, work shoes, etc..

Here is what I bought from Nordstrom half yearly sale $59 bucks. unfortunatly they are half size up and Nike fits true. I did find them directly from nike for $85 right size. Good news is Nordstrom has good customer service and will take shoes back if they cause discomfort, bad news is they dont have my size so I need to decide if I should buy different style or keep looking, or pay up and buy direct from addidas or nike. I did try some NB and Asics as recommended they are pretty nice shoes.
Keep you posted :)

I am confused...

You said you were having a problem with running shoes that were tearing up your feet, so you asked for advice, and folks here overwhelmingly recomended a few brands

Asics, and New Balance (and Mizuno Robr!)

So you bought Nike? :confused:
It looks like the price point was the selling factor.

People advised you should go to a shop that specializes in running shoes so you could get the proper fit, and guidance on what shoe will fit best for your running style, this sort of shop could also advise on the most supportive lacing pattern for your running style ect ect...

So you went to a department store and bought a pair of shoes in the wrong size? :confused:

I am not sure why you asked for help. :confused:

P

Last edited:
I am confused...

You said you were having a problem with running shoes that were tearing up your feet, so you asked for advice, and folks here overwhelmingly recomended a few brands

Asics, and New Balance (and Mizuno Robr!)

So you bought Nike? :confused:
It looks like the price point was the selling factor.

People advised you should go to a shop that specializes in running shoes so you could get the proper fit, and guidance on what shoe will fit best for your running style, this sort of shop could also advise on the most supportive lacing pattern for your running style ect ect...

So you went to a department store and bought a pair of shoes in the wrong size? :confused:

I am not sure why you asked for help. :confused:

P

If I don't buy a shoe recommended though it doesn't work me I shouldn't have asked? Anyway.

Yep I went to department stores and speciality stores, they had me walk on this special platform and it defined my running/walking arch. They recommended Nike and Addidas for my foot type and some other shoes Brands. I didn't want to spend $150 every 3-4 months but if I have to then so be it. The original shoe that was cutting me has been returned, they said I can try this other pair if doesn't work out I can return it plus I found out the best size for me since brands and fit differ by shoe style etcc. I was getting conflicting data on shoe size but turns out its better to have a tighter fit that will stretch than a comfortable fit that will turn to big which these second pair did lesson learned plus not being able to return a $150 shoe at speciality store was a turnoff.

Last edited:
Back