• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best Running shoes?

If I don't buy a shoe recommended though it doesn't work me I shouldn't have asked? Anyway.

Yep I went to department stores and speciality stores, they had me walk on this special platform and it defined my running/walking arch. They recommended Nike and Addidas for my foot type and some other shoes Brands. I didn't want to spend $150 every 3-4 months but if I have to then so be it. The original shoe that was cutting me has been returned, they said I can try this other pair if doesn't work out I can return it plus I found out the best size for me since brands and fit differ by shoe style etcc. I was getting conflicting data on shoe size but turns out its better to have a tighter fit that will stretch than a comfortable fit that will turn to big which these second pair did lesson learned plus not being able to return a $150 shoe at speciality store was a turnoff.

understood- Based on your first response it seemed like a lot of people took time to respond, and you didn't heed any of the advice, so I was confused.

It might have helped to avoid that perception if you had posted the above info in the first place.

If Nike or Adidas is the reco you got from the shoe experts, then so be it, but that differs from any advice I have ever gotten when shopping for running shoes.

Of course- we have different feet- so that stands to reason! :)

P

I think either he's leaving more info out, or I question the advice he was given. Running store professionals aren't going to just recommend a manufacturer, they will have you try on very specific models ... Just like the NSX is very different from a TL.... Nike Air Turbulence is going to be very different from Nike Air Max 360.

H-carWizKid Yeh the more I learn about shoes & my feet the more info I can provide:smile:

RobR your right, I have recieved misguided info from some dept-stores hence the run around, turns out there is a right shoe from each company but again it has to meet my picky needs. I found another discontinued shoe from Addidas response 16 for a woping $39.lol that would work for my foot. So I guess its between the Nike Turbulance 11 and Addidas response16 price. I have not really found any new show that looks square and simple either even at top price. I will keep looking this weekend and try some new shoes at differnt speciality shops see if I can single out the choice, not concerned about cost but doesn't hurt to save.
http://www.rei.com/product/747607

1. Low rear ankle support
2. well cusioned
3. light
4. non bling effect or moonboots look

Thanks again

Last edited:
You won't really know if it's right though until you actually run in them. They may feel great until you start logging some miles, but if you DO find the right shoe and they are discounted, buy an ass-load so you don't have to go through all this again when you can't find them for sale anywhere.

I hate running now, I even hated running when I was in the military. However hating running was more motive to spend the big bucks every few months because running would make my feet hurt, which would then run up my shins, through my knees and end up hurting my back in the end. After spending the bucks to find and purchase the right shoe, running still sucked but it wasn't anywhere nearly as painful anymore and I didn't mind as much to be doing it.

I hate it too, can't stand it. I can't wait for each run to be over. You just do what you have to to make it bearable... good music, comfortable headphones, decent shoes... whatever it takes to get it done.

I usually don't listen to music when running with others, but I'd probably do better if I did. Many runs ban music players but most ignore that rule.

Many runs ban music players but most ignore that rule.

Thankfully I haven't run any of those events yet...I think I'd go mad without my tunes.

I hate it too, can't stand it.

Can't say I have ever liked running. I even swore I'd never run again after four years of high school cross country and distance track. Yet last year, after barely running at all for more than a decade, I started seriously running again.

In this past year alone, I've participated in two half marathons and an 11k trail race. This summer, I have trail races (10k and 25k), another half marathon, and my first marathon.

I STILL can't say I like running, but I've noticed that my tolerance level has gone up a lot. :D

Running with better shoes, music, and a GPS watch has definitely helped. I don't try to go fast...I just set a do-able pace, try to hold to it, and, if successful, I'll set the average pace a bit higher on my next run.

Last edited:
The GPS watch did help, until I ran a 10m last year and found out my Suunto T6 was as much as 5% off. Been looking at some of the garmin products. What I really want is a GPS watch with R-R HRM. I think Polar is the only company with one, but I'm not paying almost $600 for it.

I wear a Garmin Forerunner 205. It wasn't too pricey from Costco...and they had an awesome deal on the 305 before the 405 was announced.

405 looks nice, but it seems overpriced.

I almost picked up the 305 last week for $120 after rebate, but didn't jump. The 405 does look nice, but yes I agree... overpriced.

I hate running now, I even hated running when I was in the military. However hating running was more motive to spend the big bucks every few months because running would make my feet hurt, which would then run up my shins, through my knees and end up hurting my back in the end. After spending the bucks to find and purchase the right shoe, running still sucked but it wasn't anywhere nearly as painful anymore and I didn't mind as much to be doing it.

I hated running until I got out of the military. For some reason, doing something for one's own self is more rewarding than doing it for someone else.

What was funny is prior to the military, up to the day I walked into the recruiters off, I LOVED going to the gym and running. I ran at a minimum of 30 miles per week, and spent over 4 hours at the gym 4-5 days per week. The day I stepped off the bus at basic, I hated working our and running, to to this day.

How do you guys run with something in your ears? I get to hot and feel I need to vent. I am sure you get a better run listening to music but I can't find a way to keep it in my ear. Anyhow as long as I don't feel pain I actually enjoy running. There was this show on discovery on the human body and how something painful can be pleasureable and your body can release endorphins if you trick your mind. Like eating hot peppers for some its painful for others such as myself its enjoyable.

Found the right shoe for me Addidas control with no seam upper very light amazing soft when pounding on concret I am thrilled, would highly recommend these.

Attachments

• addidas.jpg
    addidas.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 25
How do you guys run with something in your ears? I get to hot and feel I need to vent. I am sure you get a better run listening to music but I can't find a way to keep it in my ear. Anyhow as long as I don't feel pain I actually enjoy running. There was this show on discovery on the human body and how something painful can be pleasureable and your body can release endorphins if you trick your mind. Like eating hot peppers for some its painful for others such as myself its enjoyable.

Found the right shoe for me Addidas control with no seam upper very light amazing soft when pounding on concret I am thrilled, would highly recommend these.

have you actually run with these new shoes yet? i wouldn't be so excited until you've logged some miles, and as you've seen, you really can't recommend any particular shoe for another person.

i've tried a lot of different headphones for running, i hate the in-ear phones, they drive me crazy. i finally settles on a big giant pair of Grado SR60 :). They're meant for home and are "near-audiophile" quality headphones, I just loop up the 6' cord and carry the cord and my MP3 player in my hand when I run. Eventually I'll find a better solution but this works for now.

the in ears suck. I get all sweaty and they just fall out. I prefer just good old headphones that press over my ears and then they loop over my ears and behind my head. Music is nice because I don't get distracted so much by the car/bike/hot girl going by and can focus more. It sounds weird but I continually change my pace with the beat of the music. Sometimes I even count cadence but it'd be like 2 cadence beats for one step since my strides are longer and take longer. I'll even do that with music on but use the music as background noise instead.

I actually haven't had too many problems with my PSP's in-ear headphones (no, I do not run with a PSP...just use the headphones). They have a bit of rubber on them that gives them just enough grip to keep them in place, even when I get all sweaty. I think the key is that my cellphone's headphone adapter has a clip that I attach to my shirt...which gives the headphones some slack, but also doesn't allow their full weight to pull the buds from my ears.

I almost picked up the 305 last week for $120 after rebate, but didn't jump. The 405 does look nice, but yes I agree... overpriced.

I love reviewing the Garmin data after a run. Shows me where I am making progress and where I need improvement. Here's an example from this morning's workout. It's also fun to put the data into Google Earth and capture the screen...gives me more incentive to run when I travel.

Last edited:
Consumer reports just reviewed running shoes and some 120.00 Nike beat out everything else...

http://www.dietdetective.com/content/view/3370/3/

Best Running Shoes and Buying Tips from Consumer Reports Print E-mail
by Charles Stuart Platkin
Wednesday, 25 June 2008

Of two dozen models of running shoes tested by Consumer Reports, the $120 Nike Air Zoom Vomero+2 tops the rankings for men’s and women’s shoes in the August issue. While some shoes performed better than others, all but four earned “Very Good” overall scores in CR’s Ratings.

The men’s and women’s Brooks Glycerin 6 were judged “Very Good” overall, but the men’s ($120) version scored better than the women’s ($120) due to better stability ratings. Other top performing men’s shoes include Adidas Supernova Cushion 7 ($90), Mizuno Wave Rider 11 ($95), and the Asics Gel-Cumulus 9 ($80). For women, other top performers include Nike Air Pegasus+2007 ($85), Puma Complete Infinitus ($85), Reebok Premier Hatana ($85), and Adidas Supernova Cushion 7 ($90).

To evaluate two dozen models of running shoes, Consumer Reports bought 205 pairs of shoes, enlisted a panel of typical runners, and had them crank out a total of 1,240 miles. CR selected men’s and women’s versions of the same model, where available. CR tested for fit, cushioning, stability, flexibility, breathability, and weight. Prices for the shoes tested by CR ranged from $28 to $120.

For adequate performance at a rock bottom price, CR’s Quick Picks include the men’s Champion Helium (Target, $30) and the women’s Champion Wonder C9 (Target, $28).

For people who like to run after dark, CR suggests giving special consideration to the men’s Nike Air Zoom Vomero+2 and the Avia Tuned Trainer II ($80) and women’s Avia Tuned Trainer II ($80) and Reebok Premier Hatana ($85), which have the most effective reflector strips. Sporting goods stores also offer various aftermarket reflectors and reflective clothing.

How to Choose a Running Shoe

How and where people shop depends on whether they’re experienced runners. Consumer Reports offers the following tips for choosing a running shoe:

ü Analyze your gait. The shoes CR tested are for runners who don’t require corrective measures. But manufacturers also offer models for special needs. For people who pronate (rolling inward) excessively, a stabilizing or motion-control shoe may minimize the problem. For those who don’t pronate enough, a cushioning shoe that emphasizes shock absorption may be best.

ü Bring in your well-worn shoes. Well-worn shoes can provide helpful information to knowledgeable salespeople. Their wear pattern may help the salesperson analyze a runner’s gait, which could lead to a better-fitting running shoe.

ü Get expert advice. Consumers will probably pay more at an athletic footwear store that caters to serious runners than they would at a discount store, but they’re more likely to find a seasoned salesperson who can help them get the best shoe for their needs.

ü Take a test run. Buying shoes without trying them out is like buying a car without test-driving it. People should ask if they can buy the shoes, jog briefly on a treadmill at home or at a gym, and return them if they don’t feel right.

Back