• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best way to get sold pricing on NSX for insurance valuation purposes

Hey fellow enthusiasts,
I wanted to ask how is the best method of getting comparables of recently sold NSXs?
I got into a car accident with my silver NSX, and the insurance is providing bad comps of sold cars that are not even in my state. They are using Mitchell to figure out the values. I'm getting reamed with the valuation. I want to provide them more accurate numbers that are in California (not in Illinois and Utah). What was truly unbelievable was that they listed the condition of my car as good, but then deducted almost $7800 in value for the bad condition of my seats. This is complete BS, as the real glaring issue is the worn part of the driver's side bolster. The rest of the two seats are fine (not many cracks, no cuts, wear in small places except for that side bolster). Even the rep said that he couldn't believe the adjuster would have deducted so much for one seat.
I checked out eBay, but couldn't find many ones there that were recently sold. I also checked out the Prime Marketplace, but it doesn't list what the car actually sold for (unless the seller posted it) or if it even sold.
Is there a better way to get this info, which would include the VIN and verifiable sold prices as market value (not wholesale / auction prices)?

Thanks!

Sorry to hear about the crash. Who is your insurance company?

This is the reason why it is worth the compromise for having "collector car" stated value insurance.

Good luck.

Thanks DocL.
You're right. It's a good idea.
I'll PM you my insurance co.
I've disputed some of their initial claims, and to their credit, the manager quickly took back some of these ludicrous deductions, so they are playing more fair now.

Last edited:
If the accident was "the other guys fault"...you can fight to be made whole by his insurer (at least that is what I did).
Otherwise, just keep fighting to get what you desire from your agency.
GOOD LUCK!

Sorry to hear about the crash. Who is your insurance company?

This is the reason why it is worth the compromise for having "collector car" stated value insurance.

Good luck.

I did this with my 92 a few years ago saved me money and increased my coverage. Hows it work with partial damage if the cars not total loss tho? same as any other?. (Never had to make a claim)

I would print out ASking prices of cars with similar year and miles and show what it would cost to replace. Then argue with them until I get what I want.

Last edited:
for real tho, who is your insurance company?

Thanks guys for the responses. At this point, I'd prefer not to say who my insurance is, but if you want to know, I can PM you 95nsxtc.
Any other suggestions on how to get market value?

TIA.

- - - Updated - - -

I provided them some comps, but they said they would not accept private party transactions. Is there a way to check sold cars through manufacturer dealers and used car dealers?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok. Another update.
They didn't clarify that I can (and should also) look for cars for sale. That makes a big difference. Initially, they gave me the impression that I had to find sold cars. I spoke to a few other insurance companies, as well as my body shop, and they all said that I am not to limit myself to sold cars. As a matter of fact, I should be looking for a car for sale that I can replace with mine. I'm quite annoyed now.

Please close this thread. Thanks.

Last edited:
I wonder if it would be wide to implement some sort of "sale tracker" thread on prime, record all the recent transactions (similar to that on M3forums, link and example below, would need to be stacked by mod)

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=309081

Are you the Buyer or Seller?:
Buyer
Model Year: 2004
Mileage: 73,500
Coupe or Convertible?: Coupe
Exterior Color: Silver Grey
Interior Color: Black leather
Manual or SMG?: Manny
Major Options: 19" wheels, aluminum trim, moon roof
Under Warranty? : CPO & maint. untill July
Overall Condition : Exelent
Any unusual items that affected value?: Manual seats, cheap rear tires
With Whom Did You Complete the Sale?: Private lot
How Did You Find Seller?: Auto Trader, looked everywhere for 4-5 months before I found this one
Sale Location: Fullerton, Ca
Sale Date : February, 2010
Seller Asking Price: $23,950
Final Sales Price: $21,950
Est. Published Value, if known : $ No Idea
Other Comments:
peace.gif

My insurance company also said they would go to KBB and/or Haggerty for "special cars".

I fear for you if they would go to KBB, Hagerty on the other hand seems pretty on point

My insurance company also said they would go to KBB and/or Haggerty for "special cars".

Yeah, but you have USAA. They are the best. The OP doesn't seem to have the best carrier and I surmise that that is where the problem begins. If he'd post who his insurance company is, maybe someone here who has/had them can help him out.

For now, he just has to dig in his heels and pull the rope as hard as he can.

I always complain about Hagerty being a fortune but it's worth to avoid scenarios like this, they know collector cars very well to the point that they suggested one of may cars was under insured for an agreed upon value.

I just checked for my other car...KBB was 98% of the "Average" Hagerty

O jk i thot we were talking about ur nsx value at kbb or hagerty

Back