• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Better buy ?

'04 NSX 10K Miles $70K

'03 NSX 22K Miles $65K

'02 NSX 22K Miles $60K

All things being equal - that is all 3 cars are in excellent (no repair, no paint, no mechanical problems) which would you consider the better buy and why ?

Thanks

just my humble opinion but i think that
for that mileage amount, the mileage is basically negligible and
it would seem that the 02 would be a better buy since, for all intensive purposes its the same but is less costly. if you theoretically bought all 3 and tried to sell them on the same day, i'm guessing that the prices for all 3 would converge at a similar level. you could always get the 02 and spend the extra $5k on some cool aftermarket part :biggrin: or you could get an 04 and just spend $10k more without any neat extra parts :biggrin: jmho

The last one because it's the cheapest.

There are no changes between model year 02-04. Ok a different shift knob but that's probably it. I wouldn't pay 10 000$ more only for 12 000 fewer miles and 2 years newer.

The NSX is very reliable and with 22 000 miles it is good as new. Save those 10 000$ and buy some nice rims for her. :)

This is just my opinion and please note I don't own a NSX.

Which color do you like the best? Is it a dealer purchase or Private purchase?

Vancehu said:
Which color do you like the best? Is it a dealer purchase or Private purchase?

All the same color, Imola Orange (that was the point actually :smile: ), all from dealers :frown:

Back around this same time of year, in 2000, I bought a 98 NSX (with 4K miles) for $66K. It was just about a 3 Y.O. car at that time.

Coincidentally, the '04 I was just considering (until purchased by someone (eBay)) was $70K asking price (10K miles) and almost the exact same age as the '98 I bought 6 years ago. So, I was hoping to be able to deal, once the auction was over (NOBODY uses "Buy it now", do they ? :biggrin: ), and get it for around $66K. Oh well. "Ya slow, ya blow" :eek:

The '03 (22K miles) is in Ohio and they want $66K and the '02 (22K miles) is in southern NJ and they want $60K.

Soooooo, actually, my purchase experience back a few years is what's holding me back from pulling the trigger at the moment...... :confused: (although I haven't actually began "negotiations" with either of them (yet).

NSX-GUY said:
All the same color, Imola Orange (that was the point actually :smile: ), all from dealers :frown:

Back around this same time of year, in 2000, I bought a 98 NSX (with 4K miles) for $66K. It was just about a 3 Y.O. car at that time.

Coincidentally, the '04 I was just considering (until purchased by someone (eBay)) was $70K asking price (10K miles) and almost the exact same age as the '98 I bought 6 years ago. So, I was hoping to be able to deal, once the auction was over (NOBODY uses "Buy it now", do they ? :biggrin: ), and get it for around $66K. Oh well. "Ya slow, ya blow" :eek:

The '03 (22K miles) is in Ohio and they want $66K and the '02 (22K miles) is in southern NJ and they want $60K.

Soooooo, actually, my purchase experience back a few years is what's holding me back from pulling the trigger at the moment...... :confused: (although I haven't actually began "negotiations" with either of them (yet).

This is what i have discovered, newer the car is, more barginning power you have. The nice thing is, if the car is purchased from Acura dealer, it should be a certified used car, which means you save some money on warrente. Also, Honda's certified used program is based from the original purchase date, so you will get a longer warrante.

Last thing, if the car is part of Honda's Certified used program, you cal also get low interest financing. If I remember correctly, the program is still on.

Hugh said:
Why are you sentencing his not even yet acquired car to death?

Lol - I had heard good things for the CTSC... but in that case.. $10,000 will make the car corner on rails even more, and you can do some I/H/E stuff

I go for the 02, assuming all 3 are in equal condition inside and out, with only differences in mileage and year.

Use the $5k~$10k difference and buy whatever floats on your boat, or save it until the mod addiction kicks in.

All things equal aside from the warranty ending date, I'd choose the 02. Money being no object though I'd choose an 05 simply because it is the last year for the great NSX:biggrin:

rickysals said:
Lol - I had heard good things for the CTSC... but in that case.. $10,000 will make the car corner on rails even more, and you can do some I/H/E stuff

Ignore Hugh. He talks out his ass (this I think was what the recent hospital visit was supposed to correct, but back to the drawing boards). He badmouths any FI NSX setup, yet secretly longs for a Turbo setup on Charlotte. Unfortunately, even when he gets one on her next year he will still be a CTSC haytah:biggrin: :biggrin: :wink:

Hmmmmm. A little more info to chew on for you guys experienced at "reading between the lines"

Carfax on the '03 (offered by an Acura Dealer Certified Pre-Owned)says......

5/03/03 Initial sale

5/29/03 Registered in Mississippi

10/18/04 12,921 miles Serviced - Electrical System serviced

05/25/06 22,211 miles Dealer Inventory - offered for sale

Sounds pretty "normal" to me.

Carfax on the '02 (offered by a non-Acura Dealer, out of warranty too)

02/28/2002 Leased vehicle

04/26/2005 18,700 Acura Certified Dealer-offered for sale

NOW it's gets a (just a ?) little "spotty"

08/23/2005 Connecticut
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Holyoke, MA
Title #029209308 Title issued or updated
New owner reported
Registered as lease vehicle

10/20/2005 19,766 Auto Auction Sold at auction in Pa
Listed as a dealer vehicle

01/27/2006 19,773 Auto Auction Sold at auction in Pa
Listed as a fleet vehicle

Purchased: 2006
Where: Pennsylvania
Est. miles/year: ---
Est. length owned: 2/3/06 - 6/30/06
(4 months)

02/03/2006 19,923 Pennsylvania DMV Title issued or updated
New owner reported

06/30/2006 22,379 Auto Auction Sold at auction in Pa
Listed as a dealer vehicle

07/14/2006 Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale

Looks like "2nd owner" had it for 2 months and 1,000 miles and it then showed up at auction. 3 months later sold at auction again. Shortly thereafter sold to a consumer(?) who kept it 3 months and 2400 miles (sounds somewhat "normal")

Anything you guys think suspicious or worth inquiring about ?

TIA

Anything you guys think suspicious or worth inquiring about ?

The number of owners and stuff is normal with brokers, middlemen and dealers. If all of this happened within one state, I wouldn't worry about it.

The question is: Is PA a title washing state?

If you are serious: I would get a manual docket from both states.

Drew

In fact, since the information that Carfax gets is widely obtainable, there is a reluctance of smaller insurance companies to report anything at all (maximizing the vehicle's resale value). Therefore, Carfax really doesn't do anything except record the odo readings at certain points in time.

Update.

I went down to S. Jersey and test drove the '02. Looks really nice but a fair number of little rock chips in the front bumper. Inside trunk release is missing.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_1_%7CD-_4_%7CN-N%7CR-10000%7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CZ-07928&aff=national&paId=203956758&recnum=35&leadExists=true&sellerFirst=true

It's got some nice aftermarket wheels (HP Wheels(?) 18's and 19's) and new Nanking Ultra-performance tires. Hidden radar detector and Alpine alarm and remote.

Took it (and after it an '05 Vette Convertible - nice) for a test drive and after about 2-3 miles the "check engine light" came on. The salesman is having it checked out Monday by "his guys" - I told him he'd better have an Acura delaer check it out.

The '02 is from Lindsay Acura in Ohio. http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_1_%7CD-_4_%7CN-N%7CR-10000%7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CZ-07928&aff=national&paId=199637000&recnum=26&leadExists=true&sellerFirst=true

This car would appear to be dead stock. Certified Pre-Owned. A salesman contacted me last Thursday and I told him I was a serious buyer at around $61K or so. Haven't heard back (yet ?)

And now, it appears as though the '04 is back in play. Also appears to be dead stock. Sold on eBay with the "buy it now" feature the buyer apparently backed out and the car's available again. A salesman conteacted me via e-mail and I wrote back that at around $65K I was a serious buyer. Expect to hear back from him sometime tomorrow (Monday)

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_1_%7CD-_4_%7CN-N%7CR-10000%7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CZ-07928&aff=national&paId=133106637&recnum=20&leadExists=true&sellerFirst=true

If anybody is anywhere near either of the last 2 and wouldn't mind swinging by and taking a look at the car and giving some feedback on what you found I'd appreciate it.

Wellllll, apparently nobody's interested but I'll update a little more for, let's say "posterity" ?!?!?! :rolleyes:

So the '03 (Sorry, I wrote '02 earlier) from Lindsay Acura is sold. When I asked the guy why he didn't call me back as he said he would he told me my offer was low enough so that he didn't believe I would go high enough to buy the car. I said how would you know if you didn't tell/ask me ? And should you not have called me back ANYWAY like you said you would ??? :confused:

The '02 owner (Auto Toy Store) called me back last Tuesday and told me the "check engine light" was being looked at and he'd get back to me. Well, this past Friday the car was listed on eBay and to date he has not called me back. Could he be trying to sell a car and deliver it halfway across the country to some poor sucker and hope when the "check engine light" comes back on HE won't have to fix it ??? :mad:

The '04 owner (Carsource) never got back to me so I called them on Friday and asked what was up. The sales man I got didn't know but told me, bottom line on that car is $68K (and IT'S back on eBay as well). I told him I'd get back to him if I decided to pursue it.

apparently nobody's interested but I'll update a little more for, let's say "posterity" ?!

This is not very useful helpful information unless you include the VINs and specific dealership names that you are working with. Please list them.

Tracking down the history and price of the cars is probably more valuable than your personal experience, which seems to the heart of your post.

Carfax is useless, at least with specific history of each NSX everybody is much better off.

Drew

All the info's in the links I posted earlier but the main purpose of my posting was to solicit opinions on which was the better buy of the 3 and why ?

Now one's gone and the other 2 guys don't seem to be all that interested in selling them (at least not to ME :biggrin: )

I already have the CarFaz reports - does anyone know how I can get the service history from an Acura dealership on the 2 cars. THAT might provide more useful info. Or is it "private" and unavailable ??? :frown:

Shumdit said:
Ignore Hugh. He talks out his ass :biggrin: :biggrin: :wink:

Ahhhh, that explains it - I thought he just didn't brush his teeth !!!

:eek: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

You would be doing future NSX owners a great service by posting the complete VIN for each car.

That way in the future when somebody searches for the VIN they have a much better idea of the value of the car. It makes a big difference.

I already have the CarFaz reports

Not about you anymore, you mentioned "posterity".

Back