• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Better buy ?

dnicho05 said:
Just curious, what ever happened to your 98 NSX?

Sold it. I decided I didn't like buying new tires 3 times a year..... :eek:

Actually I didn't make nearly as much money then and since then there are also (apparently) better (read longer wearing tires) for the NSX than there was then. :wink:

Shumdit said:
I do not think a common thief would even see that switch. You give them too much credit. I can not see someone buying a 90K car and leaving a nasty looking hole in the door panel.

Welllllll, I agree with you about the hole....... but you might be surprised what the "common thief" knows. Maybe you don't give them enough credit ?!?!?! :wink:

Years ago I had a Bensi box installed for my radio in my Mercedes. The car was parked at the golf course one Sunday and when I got back to it after my round the driver's window was smashed and the trunk was partly open. Apparently, the thief, seeing the empty slot in my dash, smashed the window, and used the button in the glove compartment to pop open the trunk just to find out if the radio was there (whic BTW, it wasn't). HE knew where the button was..... :frown:

NSX-GUY said:
Sold it. I decided I didn't like buying new tires 3 times a year..... :eek:

Actually I didn't make nearly as much money then and since then there are also (apparently) better (read longer wearing tires) for the NSX than there was then. :wink:

So are you strictly looking for orange 02s and up, or do you still wax nostalgic for those pop-up headlights? :biggrin:

NSX-GUY said:
Welllllll, I agree with you about the hole....... but you might be surprised what the "common thief" knows. Maybe you don't give them enough credit ?!?!?! :wink:

Years ago I had a Bensi box installed for my radio in my Mercedes. The car was parked at the golf course one Sunday and when I got back to it after my round the driver's window was smashed and the trunk was partly open. Apparently, the thief, seeing the empty slot in my dash, smashed the window, and used the button in the glove compartment to pop open the trunk just to find out if the radio was there (whic BTW, it wasn't). HE knew where the button was..... :frown:

Ok, so if the thief is smart enough to know where the trunk release button is, then he probably knows that there is a master switch in the locked glovebox, and that he is going to set off the alarm in any case trying to open the trunk. Let's just say I have NEVER seen any NSX owner who did what you are suggesting was done in this case for the reasons you are guessing.

dnicho05 said:
So are you strictly looking for orange 02s and up, or do you still wax nostalgic for those pop-up headlights? :biggrin:

If I'm not mistaken Imola Orange was first introduced on the '02... :wink:

As for the "popups", I seem to be in the minority but I *prefer* the exposed headlight look.

Last edited:
Shumdit said:
Ok, so if the thief is smart enough to know where the trunk release button is, then he probably knows that there is a master switch in the locked glovebox, and that he is going to set off the alarm in any case trying to open the trunk. Let's just say I have NEVER seen any NSX owner who did what you are suggesting was done in this case for the reasons you are guessing.

Fair enough - I was only guessing about why the previous owner *might* have removed the button himself. :wink:

I tried contacting the previous owner but he never answered. :frown:

Another strategy is to look at the pricing guide in the FAQ and determine if there is any difference in depreciation over the next 36 or so months between the three years. Although that may be hampered by the changes between 01 and 02.

Check what a 99 costs now, an 00 and an 01 and subtract those amounts from what you think the cars you are considering will cost you to determine which car will cost you more per year (ignoring maintenance and service) for the next few.

I did that when I was looking and I found that my 02, which was the newest car I was looking at, was less expensive from a cost per year going forward from just a depreciation perspective (not including any warranty work, of which there has been some).

There is no hard facts around NSX pricing, but this exercise may give you some insight to help your decision.

Gut tells me that all come out about equal. Id then resort to the car that I had the most confidence in based upon history, servicing, condition, dealer and intuition.

Thanks, but at this point I am down to 1 Imola Orange car (the '02), which actually IS priced right. I've found over the last 4-6 weeks the following "schedule".

'05 70-72
'04 66-68
'03 62-66
'02 57-60

So the price would seem to be in line which the sole exception being the 03 and up have some manufacturer's warranty still left while the '02 does not.

My problem is this is the car with the "check engine" light that went on during about a 5 mile test drive. Now it is "fixed"(?). It *could* have simply been the gas cap not completely closed but......... Also, it was taken to an Acura dealer who, except for a few missing items (air pump, hold-down tie) and a notation that the left front panel was missing its VIN number, gave it a clean bill of health.

When I called the dealer and asked why nothing was mentioned about them road testing the car, or checking the engine, drivetrain, etc., told me they only note things they find wrong with the car, not things that are OK. Now I personally would have thought there'd be some sort of master "checklist" or something like that for $100, but........

Further, a "respected" member here that works for an Acura dealer told me his friend saw the car and said it was "roachy". While that may be a technical term :rolleyes: and I'm not sure exactly what the definition is, I *know* it's not good. However, he won't, or more accurately cannot, be specific about it as he can't remember why his friend said that.

The car drove just fine, engine sounded and performed normally, and the transmission shifted perfectly fine. Crisply with no clutch slippage.

I guess at this point I wonder what the possible downside is of this car IF I were to purchase it anyway. What kind of "hidden" propblems/expenses can I come up against.......... :confused:

What I mean is that if you take each of those asking prices, and compare them to what a car that is 3 years older would cost in the FAQ, you get something like this:

04 with 10k
Buy for $70k. In 3 years it will be worth $57.5ish K. About $4.2k per year depreciation

03 with 22k
Buy for $65k. 3 years its worth about $55k. $3.3k per year depreciation

02 with 22k
Buy for $60k. In three years FAQ pricing seems low at about $45k, so its actually $5k depreciation per year based upon that purchase price.

Not sure the FAQs pricing is accurate for a 99 though, or if in 3 years an 02 will be worth about what a 99 is today.

Logically you'd want the lowest depreciation on the cheapest car.

If the FAQ is right, you'd want the 02 for no more than $55k for it to make sense next to the 03, ignoring whatever warranty the 03 may have.

The '02's are about 5 (model) years old now. Once you get much past that it's ALL about condition and/or mileage if the marketplace here on prime is any realistic example.

a '97 for 42...... a '94 for 35, etc, etc, etc.....

And given I'm (probably) "stuck" on the orange and since there are relatively few examples of them around I guess I'd have to pay a bit of a premium for it.

I don't mind spending a few bucks bringing a car "up to snuff" but I guess I'm just a bit worried there could be some major issues that I am not knowledgable enough about that I cannot see (with this '02 Jersey Imola Orange). :frown:

Back