• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Big job need advise

Im going to pul my motor out memorial day weekend to change the clutch and timing belt also going to replace all coolant hoses i was curious if there is anything else that might be beneficial, the reason for the clutch is its slipping and the slave is leaking/ timing belt is due i think i am going to replace the water pump aswell and adjust the valves/ and a huge tune up fluids and filters / but do i need to do the cam seals or the main seals?/ figured id replace the oil pan gasket it looks like it might be leaking/ what about motor mounts? any advise would be awesome! and dont worry im a mechanic and have done this before just not on my own car

You didn't mention the water pump. Perhaps you were planning to do it, but just forgot to mention it...?

EDIT: Oops, I see it further down in your post. My bad. :eek:

Last edited:
No i have that listed in there aswell definatly going to do that my writing just needs a little work:)

If you are digging that far in you might go ahead and replace the oil pump gears and up grade to Dali or Comptech parts. I think this is good insurance if you are tracking the car, replace the oil seal at the same time in the pump. I would not do the rear main unless it showing signs or you have well over 60K on it.

I would not do the mounts preventively, they are pretty easy to do later if they go bad, just inspect them and check for cracks, replace if they are bad.

Have fun with the hoses, I just did mine. A surprising amount of work and some of the mid sized spring clamps were just about enough to drive me crazy getting them back in position on the thermostat casting. I did my thermostat too, it seemed cheap and easy while it was out.

Good time to upgrade rear brake hoses if you had ever thought about it.

Don't forget the V-tech seals, and if you get all this done in less than 8 hours you are.........THE MAN! :D

Last edited:
Jeeze...after reading Gerald's story you might want to consider replacing the harmonic balancer.

I wonder if rubber deterioration could be a concern on this component.

:confused:

-Jim

Then do mine!

Then after that lets do my clutch, just because!!!
Take some pics for me, I would really like to see whats down there in no fanmans land!!!

Back