• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

bilstein shock Low and high adjustment?

bilstein shock Height adjustment?

Need help on the bilstein shock Low and high adjustment? There are three setting on the SHOCKS!
Should i go with the middle height? Top Height or Bottom height? if you know what i'm talking about?
what would be the best setting for the eibach springs?
I greatly appreciate, if u can post some info. Thanks very much!!!! Jimbox
:confused: ;)

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by three settings.

Height is set by installing the ring in one of two grooves. Are you saying you have 3 grooves? Is it possible the previous owner had another groove cut? By the "three settings", I hope you don't mean getting another height setting by installing the perch upside down. The perch only goes on one way and is not reversible.

If you're using Eibach Pro-Kit springs, they lower the car 1.25" by themselves. Unless you want an extemely slammed NSX, stick with the standard height groove on the Bilsteins.

This might help (notice the distance from the end of the shock to each groove):
http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/suspension/bilstein_install_properly/index.cfm

Ojas said:
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by three settings.

Height is set by installing the ring in one of two grooves. Are you saying you have 3 grooves? Is it possible the previous owner had another groove cut? By the "three settings", I hope you don't mean getting another height setting by installing the perch upside down. The perch only goes on one way and is not reversible.

If you're using Eibach Pro-Kit springs, they lower the car 1.25" by themselves. Unless you want an extemely slammed NSX, stick with the standard height groove on the Bilsteins.

This might help (notice the distance from the end of the shock to each groove):
http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/suspension/bilstein_install_properly/index.cfm

Thanks for your reply ojas,
I don't have the shocks with me now, is on order.
The reason i'm saying there is 3 grooves, is because i saw a picture on 'nsx faq' form by: Suspension Tech Session by Don Erb.
Here's the link: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Performance/suspension.htm
The picture looks like theres 3 groove on the shock. please correct that if i'm wrong? Thanks oias, i appreciate the link! Jimbox;)

Jimbox, The Bilsteins I installed had two possible settings. mine are installed on the low setting. With OEM springs my car is 3 1/4" to the front jack points, 3 1/2" for the rear. Mine dropped almost 1 inch by installing the Bilsteins on the low setting.

coolnsx said:
Jimbox, The Bilsteins I installed had two possible settings. mine are installed on the low setting. With OEM springs my car is 3 1/4" to the front jack points, 3 1/2" for the rear. Mine dropped almost 1 inch by installing the Bilsteins on the low setting.

Thanks for your reply coolnsx:)
everyone is telling me, it only has 2 setting point on them.
I must have to belive with it, and wait till i recieve them this week! Thanks again
;)

edited due to DanO's correction (see below)

Last edited:
ncdogdoc said:
...you invert the bottom spring perch to get the "lower" setting

All the dali page shows is the "Wrong" and "Wright" way to orient the perch, it has nothing to do with the way the ride height is adjusted. The Bilsteins should come with the snap ring in the upper position for all 4 struts. If you want to make your car ride about 1” lower, then move the snap ring to the lower groove on all 4 struts and you are good to go. Whatever position you select, always orient the perch the way that it is shown on the dali site under the “Wright” heading.

DanO

Thanks for setting me straight DanO.

Jim....take a look at coolnsx and my car in the picture section (roja at night)..........it sits at the low setting. if are using eibach w/ lower setting, you will be a littttttle taller than us. :D hope this helps!!

The top picture in the bilstein section of that link in the FAQ is incorrect. Maybe this is why some folks have installed the perches upside down.

Lud,

If you read this, I would suggest removing the top pic in the Bilstein section of the FAQ. It shows three grooves and the perch on backwards:).

HTH,
LarryB

Wow!! I really appreciate everyone's help and support.
I have already figure out how to install this suspension. One shot out to: Ojas, coolnsx, ncdogdoc, DanO, PoohBEAR, Larry Bastanza
! just want to say thanks
If u guys ever need anything? please drop me an pm, i would be gladly to help;) jimbox

Just to clarify, the "setting" location under Dali's "Wright" way is the "upper" setting or "stock" height setting.

So if one would like the "lower" perch setting, one would have to move the clip AWAY from the bump stop.

Is this correct?

DanO said:
All the dali page shows is the "Wrong" and "Wright" way to orient the perch, it has nothing to do with the way the ride height is adjusted. The Bilsteins should come with the snap ring in the upper position for all 4 struts. If you want to make your car ride about 1” lower, then move the snap ring to the lower groove on all 4 struts and you are good to go. Whatever position you select, always orient the perch the way that it is shown on the dali site under the “Wright” heading.

DanO

juejaimon said:
So if one would like the "lower" perch setting, one would have to move the clip AWAY from the bump stop.

Is this correct?
Yes, that's right: Away from the bump stop (or closer to the ground) is the lower setting.

Jimbox said:
Thanks for your reply ojas,
I don't have the shocks with me now, is on order.
The reason i'm saying there is 3 grooves, is because i saw a picture on 'nsx faq' form by: Suspension Tech Session by Don Erb.
Here's the link: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Performance/suspension.htm
The picture looks like theres 3 groove on the shock. please correct that if i'm wrong? Thanks oias, i appreciate the link! Jimbox;)
The shocks shown do have 3 grooves. The extra groove was a custom job done by Bilstein. You can ask Bilstein to cut an extra groove for $10. My take is that the extra groove will likely increase the risk of bottoming out if you use the stock springs. I am using the 3/4 inch drop with stock springs to preserve the supple ride. I probably will use Eibach in a few months to lower the car further after I repave my driveway.
Steve

Pictures would help SOO Much in this post. I don't know why anyone hasn't posted them. So, to help you guys. I will. :smile:

1) The following picture is has a "special" 3rd groove cut out by Bilstein. The cost to add a 3rd groove is $10 according to whiteNSXs. Note: The perch is installed INCORRECTLY in this picture. It's installed upside down (see #3 & #4 below for more info).
bilstein2.jpg

2) Standard Bilstein shocks only come with 2 grooves. As seen here:
bilsteinadjustable.jpg

3) This is the INCORRECT/WRONG way to install the Bilstein struts according to DaliRacing.com (note the strut cap orientation)
Correct and Incorrect Bilstein Install
shocks_bilstein_placement_wrong.jpg
shocks_bilstein_car_wrong.jpg

4) This is the CORRECT/RIGHT way to install the Bilstein struts according to DaliRacing.com (note the strut cap orientation)
shocks_bilstein_placement_right.jpg
shocks_bilstein_car_right.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at the pic of the custom 3-groove shock, I'm thinking it more likely the "extra" groove is the one in the middle, rather than lowering even further than the original "low" ring groove.

As some that love bilstein and had both the 3 grooves and 2 grooves, i would say the middle as well. I've had the third lower groove with H&R, it was looooooow....reallllly low. But I like it becuase it is my weekend car. Now I tried using the lower perch w/ 18/19 and MH side, i was tooo low for to sit in the alignment rig. So i had to raise it to the upper perch...............perfect for the rig w/ 1/4" to spare. If you are not using the MH side, do middle perch. That would be perfect...............but you wanna go low, do the lower:D

D'Ecosse said:
Looking at the pic of the custom 3-groove shock, I'm thinking it more likely the "extra" groove is the one in the middle, rather than lowering even further than the original "low" ring groove.

I just bought the Bilstiens, keeping stock springs, setting on lower perch.
I run 17/18 Work Anhelos, guessing it will be lower but not so low its
impractical. Will post pics when done next week to give all an idea what
lower perch with 17/18 and stock springs looks like.

bilstein2.jpg

Not picking on anyone, but just to be clear: the picture for #1, shows the perch in the "wrong" position. The picture in #4 is good, showing the "wright" position. So, really, it's all gravy. :biggrin:

Sam

Got my car back today with Bilstiens on lower perch, stock springs, and will post pics soon. I love the look, lowered but not "slammed" and can still pull into my driveway. Amazing what a inch lower does for the look of the car.... :tongue:

sam snead said:
bilstein2.jpg

Not picking on anyone, but just to be clear: the picture for #1, shows the perch in the "wrong" position. The picture in #4 is good, showing the "wright" position. So, really, it's all gravy. :biggrin:

Sam

Thanks Sam, I added a comment on my post.

Back