• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bilstein vs. Comptech vs. TEIN

What's your guys' experience with these three adjustable coilover kits. I'm looking at the Bilstein coilover kit with
Eibach springs from DALI cause I've been told that they are the most sane in everyday driving yet very responsive for
spirited driving. That and they've been arounf for freakin ever.

------------------
IRL Sucks

Originally posted by ndpracing:
What's your guys' experience with these three adjustable coilover kits. I'm looking at the Bilstein coilover kit with
Eibach springs from DALI cause I've been told that they are the most sane in everyday driving yet very responsive for

I am waiting for the TEIN FLEX

The daliracing kit combines OEM style springs and threaded sleeves that latches onto the grooves on the bilsteins to make height adjustments. Comptech makes a few coilover kits so I'm not sure which one you are referring to. For street driving I think the dali racing is a good setup and enables u to use ur OEM springs or eibachs/H&Rs. The comptech and tein offers shock adjustments as well as heigh adjustment so these are more flexible when it comes to tuning the ride for street or track.

------------------
2001 NSX-T
- Bilstein Shocks
- '02 OEM Wheels

[This message has been edited by RyRy210 (edited 11 October 2002).]

Originally posted by BadCarma:

I am waiting for the TEIN FLEX

What's the TEIN FLEX all about?

------------------
IRL Sucks

The Type FLEX suspension is designed for high-performance street use with damper valving and spring rates suited for this application.

There is currently no fitment for the NSX.

-- Chris

What's the TEIN FLEX all about?

------------------
Revolutionize your NSX with ScienceofSpeed
www.ScienceofSpeed.com | [email protected] | 877-863-4520

I have the Comptech base system, which is the one you are probably referring to. It is basically a Koni yellow sport shock with a Ground control height adjustable collar attached where the perch would have been. Add to this Comptech "specific" Eibach springs. I really like this setup, although it is not as adjustable as the Tein which has sixteen click stops for compression (and rebound? Chris?) versus the Koni's non-click seven for compression only. There is almost no way to duplicate settings on the Koni except all soft (too much bounce) or all hard (just right for most tracks). My Koni's on one full turn harder than full soft (got that
biggrin.gif
) with the Eibachs are great on the street, and I have the car lowered between 3/4" and 1". BTW, I have had no front lip rubbing problems since lowering, but do bottom out on the center jack reinforcement more often.

That being said, the Koni is upgradeable to adjustable compression and rebound and can be worked on in the states. I think Tein plans or has already opened a facility in the US to handle revalves, repairs, etc. The Koni gray shock with dual springs is a very nice system, for a very nice (i.e. high) price. At that price, I think JRZ, Penske, etc should also be considered. I would love to find a not horribly expensive (i.e. less than 3 grand) shared resevoir system for the NSX, but I dream about a lot of things!!

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan

....................................................................................
One more important difference, warranty:
Bilstein - lifetime
Koni - lifetime
Tein - 1 year

Originally posted by ncdogdoc:
I have the Comptech base system, which is the one you are probably referring to. ...

The Koni Yellow has only one adjustment and it is rebound, not compression, which seems to be the norm when there is only one. I believe the Tiens are also rebound only.

So far I've tried Bilstein/H&R, Koni/H&R, Tien. Bilstein is a great OEM replacement but is under damped for the H&R springs. (Probably OK with Eibachs) I like the Konis fine and even with the H&R springs they are not terribly harsh. But of the three, the Tiens are the winner. I've yet to get them on the track but I love them on the street. A possible concern is that at least one very good driver running them on the track has said that with the delivered spring rates they make the car a bit too tail happy in the high speed turns. My car does feel edgy in the fast sweepers but I'm hoping that's just the junk Dunlops it came with. I would hope that adjustable bars will be adequate to get it balanced.

So, pending new tires and more testing, I'd say that the Tiens are well worth the difference it price compared to the others. I must admit that the warranty is disappointing.

fd2da08b.jpg

Is this what you want to show Gary W?
According to the legend on your picture, this would be the JRZ system - tell us about it!

(FYI - to post a pic from imagestation, right-click on the pic, select properties, then copy the link from there; then paste it between
to display it in your post. - Hope this is helpful)
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by D'Ecosse (edited 11 October 2002).]

D,
Thanks for the tip.
JRZ are dbl. adj., rebound and compression
22mm piston rod, 46mm piston
Utilizes the gas pressure (240 psi) available in the external reservoir as an adjustable medium to assist in supporting the chassis, without increasing the spring rate.
Much better ride and handling than OEM or Koni's.

I own the TEINS and I can tell you that it isn't much harsher than stock at its softest setting. I haven't had a chance to track my car yet so I haven't played around with some of the stiffer settings, but it is amazing on the street.

With any of the coilovers make sure you have the car corner balanced. I had my car for a few days with the TEINS before I had the car re-aligned and corner balanced and wasn't very happy. Once the car was set up correctly it handles superb.

Back