• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Biting The Bullet: '02 Conversion.. input needed!

I have a '94 that i am planning on doing the '02+ front end conversion. What really has me in a quandry is what hood/front end to use. I like the Cantrell Concepts front end that SOS sells, but how does it compare to the stock look? I was hoping some of you have seen them both in person and could give me an informed opinion. I don't want to hose the value of the car if the Cantrell front wrap would give it the "kit car" look.

The second issue is with the hood.. Do i go with the factory aluminum 2002+, carbon factory look, or the nsx-r carbon (I noticed that both SOS and Downforce offer nice looking NSX-R carbon hood styles.. though i wonder on the price differential if the downforce hood is better quality due to the large variance in price. Another thing to consider is that i live in a wet climate.. is it going to hurt the car to have a NSX-R type hood in the rain?

Input please!!!
-Bruce

If you crunched the front end of your 94, I would see how it might be a consideration. To me 94's are just a little bit special though. :biggrin:
But Its your car, have a blast!

Bruce, I shared many of your questions and concerns regarding the '02+ conversion.
Although each person's experience and preference differs, here is what I ended up with on my '94.

1. I started with the Cantrell GT bumper but given my driveway, I knew I would scrape the lip often. Unfortunately, the scrape guards would not provide the protection I needed. I now have the OEM bumper and like having the option of replacing just the lip when necessary.

2. I started with an OEM style CF hood but having no vent just bothered me for some reason. IMO, the vent on an NSX-R hood really gives the car an "aggressive" look and is functional to boot. I now have the Downforce NSX-R style hood and although I try not drive in the rain, here in Hawaii it's almost unavoidable. When I have been caught in the rain, I've noted no problems with water.

I'm very pleased with the final outcome and have no regrets.

Cantrell bumper, OEM style CF hood:
7845before.jpg

OEM bumper, Downforce NSX-R style hood:
7845after.jpg

Last edited:
Quite frankly the Type-R hood ROCKS. It's definitely a great, aggressive look. I have the Downforce fiberglass hood (version 2) and it's really nice. Peter's price is great for both the CF and FG hoods. I don't know how well it will fit with the Cantrell bumper though as I have the OEM 02+ bumper.

smite said:
The second issue is with the hood.. Do i go with the factory aluminum 2002+, carbon factory look, or the nsx-r carbon (I noticed that both SOS and Downforce offer nice looking NSX-R carbon hood styles.. though i wonder on the price differential if the downforce hood is better quality due to the large variance in price. Another thing to consider is that i live in a wet climate.. is it going to hurt the car to have a NSX-R type hood in the rain?

Input please!!!
-Bruce

nothing will happen in the rain that woudln't happen if you had an OEM hood... everything under the hood is waterproofed already since it isn't a sealed compartment...

OneRedNSX said:
nothing will happen in the rain that woudln't happen if you had an OEM hood... everything under the hood is waterproofed already since it isn't a sealed compartment...

Yes, I forgot to add that. Don't worry at all about water. It's a Honda designed hood. The only thing that would get wet is the spare tire and that has to be removed anyways for the true Type-R hood (some places sell a shallow-duct hood that allows retention of the spare but the fit on these would be questionable IMO)

stay away from the cheaper ill-fitting hoods...

Attachments

• PC250003sm.gif
    PC250003sm.gif
    69.3 KB · Views: 106
92NSX said:
Is it just the reflection off your roof or did you put in an aftermarket sunroof?:eek:
Just a reflection, no sunroof.

nsxsupra said:
Your NSX looks awesome. I seen your NSX before, but I always thought it was an 02+ until now. Amazing job.
Thank you nsxsupra, I've been following your supercharger install and '02+ conversion closely, talk about awesome!

Back