• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Blown Coolant hoses story

Think it's cheaper to buy the hose kit from SoS and ask them to use it? I'm sure those prices include OEM Acura hoses.
You may want to check with the shops you're considering (probably Hilltop and Foreign Affair as well as the dealer) to see how they feel about using parts you supply. You might not be saving all that much, and some shops aren't happy about using customer-supplied parts, although others don't mind at all.

One other point, you also risk warranty problems if anything goes wrong. I know, the parts should be covered by Acura's parts warranty regardless of where you purchase them, but you could end up dealing with finger-pointing on the shop's labor warranty coverage.

Last edited:
well guys I got her up on jacks took about 3 hours to remove them all.

from front to back. the bitch hoses are the small hoses under the throttlebody

and the heater core hose under the car.

to pay that much for something we all should learn to do is a crime.

the tools I used to remove all the coolant hoses not the oil hoses

10mm socket
Philips screwdriver
1 big pair of plyers
2 small pyers
and a small needle nose
and a nice GERBER Pocket Knife ( you will know why if you do this )

the bigger clamps are easy but those small medium size clamps
are a bit_h I mean I bent,peel,force,saw,cut to get off I hate them.

so i pick the new hoses and 3 jugs of coolant up tomorrow morning and install, bleed, bleed, bleed

and drive.

but guys if your needed to do this
buy the kit from SOS
and take a day off from work and do it, can be done in a day at slow beer drinking speeds.

For those who want to work on their own cars, doing so is great. But there are plenty of reasons why others may not want to do so. Some people just don't enjoy doing it, some don't have a suitable workspace, some don't have the tools, some don't have the time, etc. No big deal either way, different strokes...

Sounds like a nightmare to do if you don't have a lift in your garage... Crawling around underneath the car on jacks wrestling with hoses and clips sounds unpleasant.

I have an 02 with 60,000 miles on it, Larry B changed the TB/WP 2 years ago, and the 23 hoses this winter. Small price to pay for peace of mind, knowing it's done right, before it becomes a problem. Why delay necessary maintenance until it becomes an emergency? Doesn't make economic sense, and causes stress. Glad it worked out for Shawn, now those of you that have been trying to save money by waiting, figure out how much an engine rebuild costs, vs this service.:eek:

on my 2002 build when i ordered the complete kit from SOS
every single hose was OEM

well atleast I have peice of mind knowing every single thing is done on my car now, tb/wp and now coolant hoses LOL

Anyone who has a 1997 or older NSX should have changed all the hoses by now. Driving around with hoses that are 15+ years old is playing Russian Roulette with an expensive engine. Even though the NSX is a very reliable exotic, there are parts of any vehicle that aren't intended to last forever.

Shawn, you are a lucky man. :wink:

hey Shawn,

I know you said your car is a 92 currently with 120K+ miles. Can I assume thats 120k on original factory hose? Guessing by the way your drive, I would think thats pretty decent lol.

I don't have my owners manual with me but whats Honda's recommended service interval?

Just like your teeth. Only brush the ones you want to keep. :biggrin::biggrin:

I disagree. I need to make a living and the more people who don't brush and floss, the more likely I'm going to be able to buy the next NSX brand new.

I was shocked at how expensive the coolant was. I paid over $100 for 4 gallons of the Honda stuff. I figured it was a little cheaper than the Acura branded coolant and probably the same formula, but maybe not.

There is significant labor involved even doing just the 8 main hoses, so I could see $600 for parts, coolant, and labor being pretty reasonable. Not $1000 though. But I would imagine labor rates vary around the country so I wouldn't be surprised to see large variations in quotes.

There is significant labor involved even doing just the 8 main hoses, so I could see $600 for parts, coolant, and labor being pretty reasonable. Not $1000 though. But I would imagine labor rates vary around the country so I wouldn't be surprised to see large variations in quotes.

Did you DIY? I'm in the same area as you. $600 to $1000 is indeed what I've been quoted.

I'm game for a group buy...if a vendor is willing.
Any advantage to OEM?
Thanks.
BAG

Did you DIY? I'm in the same area as you. $600 to $1000 is indeed what I've been quoted.

Yep, did all 23 in my garage over a period of a couple of weeks. I really took my time and could only squeeze in an hour or two a day due to working too many hours.

My incidents happened last year but all went smoothly so to speak. In a way, it was perfect timing.

I was driving home at 11pm after looking at a car that I wanted to buy from a private seller. I have the cash but I drove there myself so we settled for another day.

Just two blocks away after I left, I saw water splashing and dripping off of my rear window and hatch. I thought to myself "that's odd". I checked for rain and no rain. At that point, I knew exactly what was going on. I stopped and called AAA. I called the private seller of the car I wanted to buy and bought the car right there and had AAA tow NSX to Ramon.

Les called me next day and said Ramon is looking for me. Ramon knows exactly which cars belong to. Ramon had my car ready in one day, amazing.

I think altitude of the location might have played a role because it was up in the mountain when it broke. So if you have hoses that are due for replacement, watch out when you hit the mountains.

Shawn,
Make sure you check the coolant for exhaust. I remember LarryB talking about a hose leak results in a warped head.
Tim

Yep, did all 23 in my garage over a period of a couple of weeks. I really took my time and could only squeeze in an hour or two a day due to working too many hours.

Did you have to remove anything else to get to all the hoses? I read that you have to remove the oil cooler to get to some smaller hoses.

Any idea if there is any issue leaving the cooling system (radiator & seals) lack of coolant for a few weeks?

Did you have to remove anything else to get to all the hoses? I read that you have to remove the oil cooler to get to some smaller hoses.

Any idea if there is any issue leaving the cooling system (radiator & seals) lack of coolant for a few weeks?

I removed the expansion tank, throttle body, oil cooler, air filter box, and the control valve for the heater core. Some or all of these may not have been necessary to remove, but they were pretty easy and it made the job a lot more pleasant.

Just an FYI, over the past few years I have rebuild 3 NSX engines due to this failure. WAY cheaper to do the hoses;). And....do all of them. Soon they may not even be available.

My $.02

Regards,
LarryB
Might not be available?Really?No seriously,if you cant get basic parts ie hoses.Is that going to seriously be the case?Looking at Nsx's but if parts not available will strike off my list.

Back