• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

BMW 335i

I test drove the new coupe from BMW this weekend. WOW. It was sweet.

The car is rated at 300HP and 300TQ @ 1400rpm. Dyno's of the car seem to show it making 280 rwhp, which puts it closer to 330HP.

The car, according to automobile, does the 1/4 0.1 second slower than the M3.

I have driven quite a few cars lately and that one really impressed me. Infact, I drove the M3 right afterwords and wasn't near as impressed as the 335i.

I would take the 335i over the IS350 ANY day.

NetViper said:
I test drove the new coupe from BMW this weekend. WOW. It was sweet.

The car is rated at 300HP and 300TQ @ 1400rpm. Dyno's of the car seem to show it making 280 rwhp, which puts it closer to 330HP.

The car, according to automobile, does the 1/4 0.1 second slower than the M3.

I have driven quite a few cars lately and that one really impressed me. Infact, I drove the M3 right afterwords and wasn't near as impressed as the 335i.

I would take the 335i over the IS350 ANY day.

Did you drive the 6spd or the steptronic ?? How does it compare to a 91 stock NSX in all categories ie handling, power, weight feel, etc... ??

Also how does it compare to the M3 ?? - I had an 01 M3 6spd and I completely hated the shifter and the very very very stiff suspension

I will test drive one once a 6spd becomes available here

Just saw that they dyno'd another 335 and this time it got 299 rwhp.

This car is definitely going to be a hot car. Can't wait til the tuners get a hold of this one.

Thanks for the review. There are already aftermarket rcu/reflash upgrade available for the 335i with claimed 375hp with just ecu reflash.
http://www.dynocomp.com/bmw.php?view=bmw

Off topic: I too did some test driving over the weekend. 06 Mini Cooper S. It was fun. The 07 is due in Feburary with new
turbo + overboost function (+30lb-ft torque for a brief period), 40mpg.

NSX7 said:
Did you drive the 6spd or the steptronic ?? How does it compare to a 91 stock NSX in all categories ie handling, power, weight feel, etc... ??

Also how does it compare to the M3 ?? - I had an 01 M3 6spd and I completely hated the shifter and the very very very stiff suspension

I will test drive one once a 6spd becomes available here

I drove the 6-speed, but I would order the auto. It pulls way harder than a stock 91 NSX, at least at low RPM. The handling felt good, but I can't really tell you with a salesman in the car on public streets. The car felt very very nice. It was better than the M3 IMO. I drove a M3 with the SMG, which I thought was a horrid tranny.

375-400hp after an ecu mod is gonna be some serious competition for the new M3 that's due to come out in a year or so! I'd take a 400hp 335 sedan mmmm

I've heard that this car is pretty sweet. I lost a deal on a 6-speed TL navi on Saturday. The guy changed his mind at the last minute and bought the new 335i instead.

White92 said:
I've heard that this car is pretty sweet. I lost a deal on a 6-speed TL navi on Saturday. The guy changed his mind at the last minute and bought the new 335i instead.

I would take one over a TL anyday, BUT it is like $15K more expensive for similar options and you lose 2 doors.

The TL is still a hell of a deal.

White92 said:

In front of the right house it's pretty good looking also! :smile:
dsc06581ao8.jpg

dsc06583uj4.jpg

Klayton

I wouldn't touch it for another 2 years. Because of space of constraints, this N54 engine had to go bi-turbo instead of one and for the very same reason, BMW could not plumb the coolant to the turbos. There is no cooling system to the turbos. I would wait and see for the long term reliability of this set-up.
Now on the topic of modifications, I would definitely look at the cooling
system first before anything else.

zoomnsx said:
I wouldn't touch it for another 2 years. Because of space of constraints, this N54 engine had to go bi-turbo instead of one and for the very same reason, BMW could not plumb the coolant to the turbos. There is no cooling system to the turbos. I would wait and see for the long term reliability of this set-up.

I was under the impression that the reason for the twin turbo setup was to keep turbo lag to a minimum by using smaller turbos that can spool up quickly and yet be able to produce the required boost between the 2 of them. This has been a common setup in the past on cars such as the supra turbo, rx7, skylines, etc. BMW prides themselved on producing engines with very linear power curves so I'm sure this was high on their priority list for this engine.

In regards to cooling, all the turbo systems that I'm familiar with run an oil line to the turbos in order to cool them. I am not aware of setups that actually run coolant to the turbo (although I'm not saying that no such setups exist).

dawggpie said:
I was under the impression that the reason for the twin turbo setup was to keep turbo lag to a minimum by using smaller turbos that can spool up quickly and yet be able to produce the required boost between the 2 of them. This has been a common setup in the past on cars such as the supra turbo, rx7, skylines, etc. BMW prides themselved on producing engines with very linear power curves so I'm sure this was high on their priority list for this engine.

In regards to cooling, all the turbo systems that I'm familiar with run an oil line to the turbos in order to cool them. I am not aware of setups that actually run coolant to the turbo (although I'm not saying that no such setups exist).

I had a similar impression as well until I read the write-up in the latest issue of European Car Magazine about the reason for going bi-turbo.
By the way, oil cooling of turbos is old school. Coolant cools down faster than
oil and no need for the extra weight of the oil cooler. Even the last RX-7 was coolant cooled.

dawggpie said:
I was under the impression that the reason for the twin turbo setup was to keep turbo lag to a minimum by using smaller turbos that can spool up quickly and yet be able to produce the required boost between the 2 of them. This has been a common setup in the past on cars such as the supra turbo, rx7, skylines, etc. BMW prides themselved on producing engines with very linear power curves so I'm sure this was high on their priority list for this engine..

That is what it says in the brochure.

zoomnsx said:

I guess having the 4-year 50K warranty might come in handy. :)

I have a hard time beleiving they would put out a product that will be unreliable.... however, i guess they did it with the initial motors in the M3 that kept grendaing themseleves.

NetViper said:
I would take one over a TL anyday, BUT it is like $15K more expensive for similar options and you lose 2 doors.

Well, the guy originally came in wanting the TL Type S that is not out yet. He drove the "regular" TL 6-speed and thought it was sufficient for his needs at this time. He left and ended up buying the 335i.

NetViper said:

Well, the guy originally came in wanting the TL Type S that is not out yet. He drove the "regular" TL 6-speed and thought it was sufficient for his needs at this time. He left and ended up buying the 335i.

Went to the 335i Launch Party yesterday here in HK.

The car is surely nice and equipped with RE050A Tires (which is really thoughtful IMHO).

However, like most of today’s new cars, too much technology (i.e. weight) has been put into it resulting a 300HP / 300TQ vehicle can only achieve 5.5 secs (Factory Claimed) from 0 – 60. That and the fact it will be all over the street within the next 6 months made me feel rather disappointed.

Even more disappointing is the use of Turbos, BMW should lighten up and look back to their reputation & success generated from NA Power.

Again, it's a nice car but I would prefer my E36 M3 (Euro Spec) still.

NSX UNITED said:
Went to the 335i Launch Party yesterday here in HK.

The car is surely nice and equipped with RE050A Tires (which is really thoughtful IMHO).

However, like most of today’s new cars, too much technology (i.e. weight) has been put into it resulting a 300HP / 300TQ vehicle can only achieve 5.5 secs (Factory Claimed) from 0 – 60. That and the fact it will be all over the street within the next 6 months made me feel rather disappointed.

Even more disappointing is the use of Turbos, BMW should lighten up and look back to their reputation & success generated from NA Power.

Again, it's a nice car but I would prefer my E36 M3 (Euro Spec) still.

Don't trash it until you drive it. Automobile had it 0.1 seconds behind the M3 in the 1/4.

BMW has some good lease deals on this car. A base car can be leased for 529 per month for 36 months - $3600 down.

NetViper said:
Don't trash it until you drive it. Automobile had it 0.1 seconds behind the M3 in the 1/4.

Not trashing the car at all, really. Like I said, it's a nice car. Just not the usual Bimmers we've driven.

NSX UNITED said:
Not trashing the car at all, really. Like I said, it's a nice car. Just not the usual Bimmers we've driven.

I have driven pretty much all of the BMW's minus the M6, and I haven't been very impressed with the 6-cylinders. The V8's are nice, but to me the twin turbo 6 is the best powerplant under 8 cylinders that I have driven from BMW, including the M3. Just my opinion though.

Back