• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Boost options currently available

Looking to boost my car. Cost is a prime factor here. I don't think a turbo setup i can afford at the moment. What are my supercharging options at the moment? It seems the boosting options change for the NSX's from time to time. I don't even know if I can purchase a NEW kit anywhere right now.
There is a Whipple Comptech for sale right now used, but what are the other options out there for me?

Only SC options new would be Comptech Autorotor when they start shipping and the Dali setup if they really making the unit.

Otherwise, for turbo setups, there is the HP, Lovefab, FX and Elite setups. The HP setup incudes everything from the headers back to the exhaust so you could recoup some of your cost by selling your headers and exhaust. The HP also includes the AEM so altogether, it wouldn't be too much more than a used Comptech setup with ALOT more potential.

The Basch Boost Supercharger shows up eBay every so often and seems to do well w/ proper engine management and tuning. But you can't go wrong with the Comptech unit.

However, I can't help but wonder, considering price as most important, if you should just wait to purchase an FI system when it's well w/i your financial ability.

I agree with jorg. As far as the SC route, Boostzilla is alive from MJ last I inquired if you are willing to take a visit. CTSC is to be shipping again shortly. Outside of that maybe have one of the guys put something together for you with whatever.

Just don't short the tune.

Not sure on the turbos. No good single turbo starter setups out there with Y / misc piping, hardware, fuel reg, etc... in the 5-6-7 range? Curious, anyone know what this setup ran that was recently posted?

Has this kit been put on enough cars to be considered "proven"?
http://boostzilla.com/store/boostzilla/

I heard the Basch kit did not make good power in all gears. That it peaked good but did not have a broad powerband.
Wouldn't the Boostzilla be the same? Does a centrifugal SC have lag like a turbo, I would think so.

However, I can't help but wonder, considering price as most important, if you should just wait to purchase an FI system when it's well w/i your financial ability.

I was really hoping to not have to endure these types of comments, but hey, it is the Internet I guess, its to be expected.
I really IMO have never been able to afford the toys I have but its a disease that I cannot control. I own multiple cars and have a few that needs extensive modifying IMO. LOL! (Point being, I try to regulate huge $$$$ amounts to not just any "ONE" car!)

These are just the ones from inside the Garage. Theres a few parked behind that didn't make the "Garage" cut.
9034_.jpg

Has this kit been put on enough cars to be considered "proven"?
http://boostzilla.com/store/boostzilla/

It's only on a few cars at this point but I know MJ and Revenge have been developing and testing this thing for years. It comes standard with an AEM and MJ recommends a full top-end rebuild before it's installed. With the AEM at ~$7,500 it's one of the lowest cost options available. You'll be lucky to find a new CTSC for anywhere near that price and it doesn't come with an AEM.

MJ had worked pretty extensively with the Basch system and basically analyzed the hell out of it to make sure it wouldn't cause the same problems. He's got a personal thing with Basch and I'm sure he was extremely motivated to make a better product just to throw it in MB's face.

Aside from Dali's known "problems" with customers one complaint they've never had is the quality of his parts. MJ really takes the time and doesn't ever put out a product that isn't top notch. He might not take pride in his customer service but he certainly does take pride in his products.

Last edited:
I was really hoping to not have to endure these types of comments, but hey, it is the Internet I guess, its to be expected.

Yeah, I guess you do have to endure it. B/c when someone says that they are having an issue affording something far be it for another person to reply with a genuine word of caution. And it's not just on the internet, people try to help people all the time.

Sheesh, WTF.

Last edited:
I heard the Basch kit did not make good power in all gears. That it peaked good but did not have a broad powerband.

To answer: it's kinda relative. IMHO, you're right. It doesn't act like a positive displacement SC and b/c of that it lacks a bit of area under the curve. It may have a higher peak but not as much "area under the curve."

Wouldn't the Boostzilla be the same? Does a centrifugal SC have lag like a turbo, I would think so.

B/c a centrifugal SC is belt driven, none of the lag associated w/ turbos is apparent. FWIW, I have a Kenne Bell Autorotor on my Yukon and there is no appreciable lag whatsoever. Doesn't have throttle response my NSX does but I think that's more indicative of it being a truck.

Yeah, I guess you do have to endure it. B/c when someone says that they are having an issue affording something far be it for another person to reply with a genuine word of caution. And it's not just on the internet, people try to help people all the time.

Sheesh, WTF.

Sorry, maybe I used the word"afford" wrong.
What I meant is, I would like to spend no more than 8-10K total on boosting verses the 12 -20K (HP & Lovefab) the Turbo kits seem to cost.

?
Do you mean to improve the top end or just make sure all is in tip top condition?

The Stage 1 (BabyZilla) kit is pretty bare-bones and I think he'd probably just slap that one on as long as everything checked out with leakdown, etc. I believe he wants upgraded head gasket, springs and valves in there for the Stage 2 + (BoostZilla) kits. The stage 3 & 4 (MegaZilla, MongoZilla) kits assume forged pistons and therefore a full teardown. I don't think he'd allow an install without a baffled oil pan and billet oil pump gear as well. Those kits are technically still "in development" but MJ told me he's willing to have a test mule (me) go as high as I want but my engine would have to be to his liking before the install.

He basically doesn't want to take any chances on anyone coming after him after their motor blows up because it was on death's doorstep before the install. He told me he will not do a stage 3+ without forged pistons. The only way to control that is to do all the installs himself or at a pre-approved shop that follows his exact directions which it appears he's doing. I know at this point he's not allowing anyone to do the installs but Revenge and maybe Nick Eustace in Vista.

I think he told me the price for the stage 3 with the rebuild, forged pistons, intercooler and all the goodies plus AEM is around $10K installed and you'll be putting down around 450hp/300+ tq to the wheels at least. It ends up being a little more expensive than other options but for what you get and the decent power numbers and all the goodies it's well worth it, IMO. If you need a service such as the 90k service that's a a great time to do it as you'd just pay for parts saving at least $1,000 right there.

This conversation with MJ was awhile ago so I'd email him on it. Keep in mind you'll need to get the car to San Diego for the install as it stands now unless there's a very reputable mechanic in your area he trusts (as in he knows of) to to the install. He'll probably talk to them and have it shipped there so you can't take it out and do it yourself.

Never rode or drove Boostzilla but I did ride in BBSC. The boost in a centrifugal SC is completely linear so you won't get that big low end torque if that is what you want. Instead, you will have smooth and rapid acceleration. A typical centrifugal SC setup has been for V8 motors since they had great low end torque but not high end HP. This would offer both. The advantage of turbo is that properly sized, you can get both torque and HP. In regards to the HP setup, I thought that it was around 9K for the basic setup which includes the AEM.

By the way, like the collection.

In regards to the HP setup, I thought that it was around 9K for the basic setup which includes the AEM.

By the way, like the collection.

9K plus the ride to NM =2000 round trip
plus install and tune =2500
plus upgraded turbo =950
total now is 14.5
My budget won't allow it. I want there kit badly, trust me!

Thnx for the props on the collection. LOL, I've been told my house looks like it belongs to an 80's DrugLORD!!!

I really IMO have never been able to afford the toys I have but its a disease that I cannot control. I own multiple cars and have a few that needs extensive modifying IMO. LOL! (Point being, I try to regulate huge $$$$ amounts to not just any "ONE" car!)

These are just the ones from inside the Garage. Theres a few parked behind that didn't make the "Garage" cut.
9034_.jpg

Nice collection. Get rid of the fiero and your good:)

9K plus the ride to NM =2000 round trip
plus install and tune =2500
plus upgraded turbo =950
total now is 14.5
My budget won't allow it. I want there kit badly, trust me!

Thnx for the props on the collection. LOL, I've been told my house looks like it belongs to an 80's DrugLORD!!!

Buy the HP kit and get someone local to install it. It's really not too bad of an install. If you sent the car to NM to get installed/tuned, you would probably want to have the tune checked out when you got home anyway.
The kit is only $8495.
http://www.hpperformance.com/acuransxturbosystem.htm

You should call Nathan and see if they will still give their special. $7795
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93980

As far as a turbo upgrade. You can still get a lot of power out of the small turbo, but I would recommend an upgrade. I never had the small turbo on my car, but I would expect it to be way faster than a supercharger. (assuming stock kit vs. stock kit)
Craig

The best option for forced induction now, if you're not concerned about passing emmissions, is the HP performance turbo...

Consider this: the kit replaces your headers and exhaust, which saves you $3000 over aftermarket parts, and includes an AEM EMS, which is perhaps $1500, so, when compared to a new comptech supercharger at perhaps $7000, the HP kit is "actually" $8500 - 4500 = $4000.

Installation costs between the two systems are roughly equal, there is the added cost of tuning, but this is perhaps $500-1000 for a quality tune. You also have the flexibility of adjusting your map when you make changes to the kit, for maximum power and, assuming a quality tune, reliability.

So, more power for less cash, why aren't you interested in this kit?

The best option for forced induction now, if you're not concerned about passing emmissions, is the HP performance turbo...

Consider this: the kit replaces your headers and exhaust, which saves you $3000 over aftermarket parts, and includes an AEM EMS, which is perhaps $1500, so, when compared to a new comptech supercharger at perhaps $7000, the HP kit is "actually" $8500 - 4500 = $4000.

Installation costs between the two systems are roughly equal, there is the added cost of tuning, but this is perhaps $500-1000 for a quality tune. You also have the flexibility of adjusting your map when you make changes to the kit, for maximum power and, assuming a quality tune, reliability.

So, more power for less cash, why aren't you interested in this kit?

LOL, no way to argue. I agree 100%.

Craig, I will call Nathan next week.

I got it a couple of months ago, but I have been very hush hush with it, because its one of the cars that I mentioned previously in this thread that needs extensive modifications.(for me too enjoy it!) I should be putting the money into it, because its been in the back corner of the Garage waiting patiently for a US Dollar Injection!!! But instead, I have chosen to put another 10K in the NSX. Plus I have not locked down a shop anywhere that I feel comfortable with to add the go fast goodies and tune the EVO.

This may have been discussed in the past, but who set up the supercharger package on the RealTime NSX that Cunningham raced. I believe it was a NOVI unit or similar, but did not use a jackshaft like the Basch package. It made for a simpler package and lot fewer extranuous drive parts. All I could see from the available angle, was the SC was mounted facing the motor (similar to Corvette packages) on the passenger side, with the outlet lines crossing over to drivers side, through an IC and into the throttle body. I endeavored to take a picture of the package, when Acura had the car on display last year at Sebring, but they got their panties all in a wad when I asked to step up on platform to take pictures!:wink:

lonestranger, if you want the setup like what realtime had (it is on the passenger side like you describe) you can order the boostzilla from dali as he bought a realtime setup as inspiration for his. This is not a good supercharger setup for the street as the centrifical supercharger just adds power on the top end of the rev range. s2000's, vipers use this setup (centrifical) due to either packaging (the car doesn't have room for a twin screw - s2000) or becuase the car already has a lot of torque (viper). in the case of the nsx, if you drove a centrifical nsx with (baash or dali) and then drove a comptech at the same boost, i don't think you would consider the centrifical any longer.

That's good information -(even though I made my car payments in high school with a 49 Nash Ambassador Brougham, with a Paxton supercharged Nash Healey motor. The new powerpack chevys and fords were easy pickins, don't ya know??:wink: ) I guess I will just pursue my present package (CT - SC - Headers and Exhaust etc - 369 RWHP). I like the response of the positive displacement system, but am waiting for someone to bring out workable/doable IC, to address the short comings of PD system (heat). Would consider turbo package (have autocrossed a lot with turbo Corsa and Spyders) but everyone packaging/pricing these systems seem to be "pulling on the same Pipe!!". :eek: I'm getting old, and hate to think I will have to do something myself!!:biggrin:

lonestranger, if you want the setup like what realtime had (it is on the passenger side like you describe) you can order the boostzilla from dali as he bought a realtime setup as inspiration for his. This is not a good supercharger setup for the street as the centrifical supercharger just adds power on the top end of the rev range. s2000's, vipers use this setup (centrifical) due to either packaging (the car doesn't have room for a twin screw - s2000) or becuase the car already has a lot of torque (viper). in the case of the nsx, if you drove a centrifical nsx with (baash or dali) and then drove a comptech at the same boost, i don't think you would consider the centrifical any longer.

Back