• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Boston Area - need some help.

I'm from out of the country and I am going to be entering a private boarding school 50miles out of Boston, Phillips Exeter Academy, in early September. However, I would be needing to buy a lot of stuff like some furniture maybe and more clothes, so if you guys could tell me, where are there good shopping areas in Boston? I've heard that the copley/prudential area is good? And where's a good furniture shop? Not too expensive and designer, just a nice comfortable one seater sofa maybe and some other stuff. Please advise. Thanks.

Hey, there,

There are plenty of inexpensive furniture stores along route 1 north. After you are done shopping in downtown Boston, just take the Tobin bridge, and it becomes route 1.

Last edited:
There are also plenty of stores in NH ( no sales tax).

I have bought furniture in Stratham at Furniture Options, Ltd. located on route 108 (Portsmouth Ave.) right next to Exeter, NH.

You can also go to Nashua, NH or Portsmouth, NH.

All the big chains Bernie and Phyl's and Jordan's Furniture have huge stores Nashua, also with NO SALES TAX!!!

Hope that helps,
Rich

Thanks for the replies guys. hey tiger740, you were from Andover? Or Exeter? Hey tell me about your experience in Prep School! I'm pretty excited about it but I don't really know what to expect. What's your email? It'd be easier to communicate that way.

Let us know when you get into town, I'd be glad to show you around... you may be better off looking for some used furniture as well.

hey s2ktaxi, thanks for the offer, i'd be thrilled for you to take me around. I'll tell you when i get into town, but it'd probably be earliest mid september. Anyway, I assume you have an S2000? Any modifications? Maybe you could give me a test ride in it? =)

synkronized said:
hey s2ktaxi, thanks for the offer, i'd be thrilled for you to take me around. I'll tell you when i get into town, but it'd probably be earliest mid september. Anyway, I assume you have an S2000? Any modifications? Maybe you could give me a test ride in it? =)
S2000, nsx, rsx, tsx, crv.... :)

whoa. oops sorry if i sounded ignorant. anyway, damn you love hondas and acuras huh? shit i would love to have a ride in all of those cars!!! especially the s2000, NSX and RSX. any mods to them?

you're asian? where are you from? i'm from Singapore.

Originally from KL over a decade and a half ago... I still have relatives in KL and Singapore...

Mostly stock. Not a big believer in mods unless I'm convinced there has been enough engineering behind them. I'd rather improve the driver.

oh! cool. i was born in Penang and am still Malaysian! I travel up to KL and Penang very often. My uncle and cousin in Malaysia are car freaks as well.
so do you stay by yourself in Boston? are you working or studying?
oh, one last question, my mum will be coming to Boston with me to drop me off at Exeter. so can you recommend a good hotel in Boston which is light on the pocket as well?

Back