• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bought car from out of state, CA requires smog!

Hi all,

Anyone successfully register there car in CA that was purchased out of state? DMV says it requires a smog but the car is so new when my local smog shop plugged it in they couldn’t find it. I called my local dealer and they didn’t know either. Dealer said they will call me back on Monday. Hopefully they can smog it else I can’t register the car.

Anybody run into this yet? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Darren.

Yup, California ALWAYS gets its POUND of FLESH :mad: (TAXES :mad:, needs monies to support Sanctuary State/ ILLEGALS!!! :mad:)....JM2C....I could be wrong....:tongue:NOT on this one though...

There is a page in the owner's manual about how to set the readiness codes. Basically you need to drive the car at various speeds and such.

Edit: P.459. Pages added.

Attachments

• readiness codes.pdf
    102.6 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
There is a page in the owner's manual about how to set the readiness codes. Basically you need to drive the car at various speeds and such.

Edit: P.459. Pages added.

Thanks. I don’t think it wasn’t ready , it was more when they put in the VIN the car did register in the CA BAR smog systems.

Last edited:
Assuming you're talking about a second gen NSX, this is from https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/d...0000000000000000000000000005a63a0fa00712bd2a7

You would just need to get the vehicle inspected. The inspection stations are usually right next to the behind the wheel tests line. Side note, in CA, it's the seller's responsibility to provide a smog certificate.

Yes, it also states that for non-resident out of state this rule does not apply. My registration attempt failed at the DMV. They said out of state requires smog on initial registration, four year rule does not apply. Bummer for me.

Yes, it also states that for non-resident out of state this rule does not apply. My registration attempt failed at the DMV. They said out of state requires smog on initial registration, four year rule does not apply. Bummer for me.

Ah, that sucks. I see other references that if you buy an out of state car and bring it into CA, so long as it's less than 4 years old you wouldn't require it: https://www.dmv.org/ca-california/buy-sell/used-cars/paper-work-when-buying-a-car.php.

Oh well, just get it smogged then :)

Try another smog station. I recently went through the same process to do the same smog check and VIN verification you'll need to eventually do to register the vehicle purchased/leased from out of state. The only issue I had with the smog station was that the gas motor wouldn't stay on initially. After letting the tech know that putting it into Sport+ would do the trick, all went as planned. The smog guy did mention that some of the newer cars that have been sitting a while sometimes have issues with readiness monitors coming online but that doesn't appear to be your issue.

Purchase should be pretty straight forward to register. Lease is going to involve some patience to acquire documents from AHFC.

Yeah, really bummed I need to jump through hoops to register a new car in CA.

I feel your PAIN, BTDT...typical idiocy :frown: imposed upon us by the idiots/ loonies and thiefs in Sacramento...JM2C..I could be wrong...:tongue: NOT

Try another smog station. I recently went through the same process to do the same smog check and VIN verification you'll need to eventually do to register the vehicle purchased/leased from out of state. The only issue I had with the smog station was that the gas motor wouldn't stay on initially. After letting the tech know that putting it into Sport+ would do the trick, all went as planned. The smog guy did mention that some of the newer cars that have been sitting a while sometimes have issues with readiness monitors coming online but that doesn't appear to be your issue.

Purchase should be pretty straight forward to register. Lease is going to involve some patience to acquire documents from AHFC.

Thanks, I’ll try that. I should have mentioned the sport plus mode. Unfortunately I wasn’t present when they tried. Did they have any issue with your VIN? They told me when they put mine in, it didn’t register the make and model of the car in the system. Not sure what that means.

Thanks, I’ll try that. I should have mentioned the sport plus mode. Unfortunately I wasn’t present when they tried. Did they have any issue with your VIN? They told me when they put mine in, it didn’t register the make and model of the car in the system. Not sure what that means.

No issues with the VIN that I'm aware of. The process went pretty smoothly once we got the car out of EV mode.

I purchased a cadillac ELR(plug in hybrid) from washington about 2 years ago, and shipped it to los angeles and it had to be smogged/inspected too. Painful dealing with ca dmv.
1st problem...you have to make appointment otherwise you will be there for hours and hours
2nd problem...the car didn't pass smog..even though it was a plug in hybrid... I found out from trial and error, it takes the computer about 400 miles using the engine (which means bypassing the battery power on the hybrid (mountain mode)and driving it back and forth from work for over a week before the computer on the car had enough data to be passed by smog center computer !

Illegals WTF dude what kind of uneducated comment is that...

Obviously you are the uneducated one, do you live in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia, if not please refrain from trying to educate me. BTW, I also believe in Sovereign Borders ...JM2C..I could be wrong..Not on this one

^LMAO as usual wanting things for free or a handout... but who is taking what for free..

You obviously do not have a freakin clue. Most certainly not I, on a weekly basis the government Fed/ State steal 40% of MY EARNED Dollars...JM2C...I could be wrong...NOT!!!

Last edited:
Have you tried calling the Carb department? You could also try a state referree and see what they say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dudes. Stick with car talk, I come here to get away from the politics...

Back