• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bucket list trip

I'm thinking that this summer i want to finish my list of states that I have visited. Of the lower 48, the only ones left for me to do are Maine and Rhode Island. So do you folks out that way have recommendation and suggestions of places I should try to see. I'm not locked in on any particular time frame for doing this. Thanks; Howard :smile:

Kennebunkport Maine is pretty nice.

Drive up Scenic Route 1A in Rhode Island (Point Judith into Scarborough). I like that route. It's 25 minutes from 95 though. Then you go North and pick 95 back up.

Provincetown is a hoot....

Acadia Park in Main is fantastic. Lots of things to do and eat, like lobster, try the soft shell lobster for a change. Hiking is spectacular, whale watching from these high speed catamaran type specially built vessels is great fun as well, they guarantee sightings as well. Lots to do there and on the way.

Good luck,

Tytus

I did a road trip to Maine a few years ago just to check off a point from this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_points_of_the_United_States

Maine did not strike me as having too much to do, but it is a very pretty state (probably even more so in the Fall) and the lobster everywhere was excellent, as expected. We drove just to get to West Quoddy Head Lighthouse which isn't really that great in general, but it was one of the points on my list.

If you are in Rhode Island you should absolutely go to Newport and tour some of the mansions. The Breakers and The Elms are two of the best. Also driving around Ocean Drive is extremely scenic. Clam chowder at the Black Pearl is outstanding. We may be in that area the second week of July.
David & Susan

Hi David; If you happen to get to the Finger Lakes region of NY let me know, and we would invite you for lunch or something. Good luck on your trip. Howard

If you are in Rhode Island you should absolutely go to Newport and tour some of the mansions. The Breakers and The Elms are two of the best. Also driving around Ocean Drive is extremely scenic. Clam chowder at the Black Pearl is outstanding. We may be in that area the second week of July.
David & Susan

Hi Howard
Old orchard beach in Maine and Provincetown,RI on the way home and you got it!

Take Care old buddy.

Rich Bonhomme

There's a city somewhere in between Rhode Island and Maine, I think. Check it out, you might enjoy it.

Also, if you're interested in extending your trip, you could keep going in that direction and cross the border. To the east of Maine are the Atlantic provinces of Canada: New Brunswick, Nova Scotia (which includes Halifax and Cape Breton Island), Prince Edward Island, and if you want to take a loooooong ferry ride, Newfoundland. Alternatively, you could head north and west from Maine and hit Quebec City and Montreal before heading home.

Howard

Peggy's cove in Halifax, take the nsx on the ferry to digby NS and drive to peggys cove. then prince edward island and moncton NB over to Cambellton and down the St Lawrence River to Quebec City then down to Montreal and home. Don't forget your passport.

Rich

Back