• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Building a $50K Track Tool to beat $500K Track Tools

you need more front spring.
I was considering the KW V3s but their spring is only 350 lbs/in I believe?
I'm concerned that by going higher the car will be dreadfull on the road?
What would you recommend?

I looked up the Hoosier tires.
They appear to have almost no grooves?
Do you actually drive back and forth to the track with them?
Thanks for the tip about the liners!
No, that's the problem with Hoosiers, they are basically a DOT racing slick. I mount mine on a 2nd set of wheels and haul them to the track.

the road feel for a stiff spring is all about how well the damper controls its energy.As long as the shock is matched to the spring and better yet the stroke of the shock is matched to spring length the ride will still be good.I have the type r susp,and the showa's are a little over damped meaning the ride is harsh..you should see if KW offers a matched set of stiffer springs at least in the 500-600 range for the front.

- - - Updated - - -

wow Rob those nittos are meaty,the RA1's are only 233mm wide...Thats why I still have some liner left.I'll most likely have to reorder a set ..I'd much rather have the nto1...but I have no patience to be fiddling with liner/fender edges.Thanks again for measuring.

Doc is right. My fronts are 1000 and the ride is not bad at all. I want to try a softer set to see how it will feel I'm comparison because I can always go back. They are cheap. I would just move my 600 up front and go with something around 360 in the rear to keep the same ratio. Two springs... $50 each...

I was considering the KW V3s but their spring is only 350 lbs/in I believe?
I'm concerned that by going higher the car will be dreadfull on the road?
What would you recommend?
It's the quality of the dampers. You can run super stiff springs with top notch dampers and the ride will be fantastic. In the softest setting my NSX rides like a Cadillac on the fwy (No, i'm really not kidding). It's actually too soft with very slow rebound characteristics. At full stiff it's an entirely different car and quite harsh on the road which gives me a lot of options at the track. The manufacturer of my coilover recommends anywhere from a 8k-14k rear spring range with the same range on the front. On the higher end dampers, the valving can accommodate. KW has a clubsport option which comes with 450lb/450lb springs I believe.

I'm currently running on 9K front springs + 11k rear springs. That works out to 504lbs front / 616lbs rear. Most of the North American and Europeans do like to run much stiffer front bias though vs. the Japanese.

Most of the solutions re rubbing have been offered. To minimize my rubbing with Toyo RA1 235/40/17 on 8" rim high pad Volk C28N, I did roll the fender, installed the camber kit, added camber to about 2.5 degrees and adjusted the drop of the car. For the most part this resolved/minimized the rubbing on off camber compressions. The camber kit with more camber was the most effective solution in my case; more camber would be nice but its also a street car. But at full lock you will get rubbing then again these are for track and we rarely do full lock at the track.

But with the same set-up going to Hoosiers 225/40/17 on the same wheels, I had no issues and could even lower the car a tad bit more.

As for where it rubs and cutting the liner to avoid this - well at least in my case that would not have solved the issue for the liner started rubbing at the edge where it meets the fender and then inward; it was about a 4" arc at the very top.

Last edited:
But with the same set-up going to Hoosiers 225/30/17 on the same wheels, I had no issues and could even lower the car a tad bit more.
If only someone really made a decent 30 series for the fronts...

When it come to our precious track toys, rubbing truly is racing...:redface:

What's the most camber you can get without the camber kit?

truly inspirational and keep up the good works and driving. I want to have a project like this one day.

truly inspirational and keep up the good works and driving. I want to have a project like this one day.
indeed! unlike 90%+ of the build threads where adding rice is King. Nothing wrong with that....just saying.

Here's what the 235/40/17 NT01 did to my drivers side front inner fender liner. :eek:
this must b b 4 camber kit not after? is the pass. side shredded? isn't the car corner balanced or driver side has more "static downforce" :)

indeed! unlike 90%+ of the build threads where adding rice is King. Nothing wrong with that....just saying.

this must b b 4 camber kit not after? is the pass. side shredded? isn't the car corner balanced or driver side has more "static downforce" :)

After camber kit and corner balanced. Happened at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway running clockwise which means about 80% right handers. The rest of the liner was deposited on the exit of T13.

lol....I recognize that top piece.....I lost mine going off track in turn 9 at LS......I was able to put it back on since it wasn't as bad as yours..............

In preparation for my next track day at Infineon Raceway, I decided to replace my CTE sway bars and oem end links with Dali Trophy bars and Source 1 end links. Since I'm apparently on the Dali no-fly list, I had to go thru a 3rd party to get them, (thanks Tim) So I spent my Sunday afternoon under my car installing the front bar & links. On Dali's site, he disclaims: "Might need some fiddling to fit - it is a track car - get used to "fiddling". Well I'm quite used to fiddling with aftermarket upgrades & installs and I can attest that he is not exaggerating. Definitely not a plug & play, more like a RPITA! After some trimming, shimming and expanding, the front bar is on and from my initial test drive the car feels better w/less body roll. I'm on the fence about installing the rear bar but I will be installing the rear end links at the very least before I track test the set-up.

(top) front 7/8" CTE, 1" (bottom) Trophy bar with Source 1 end links

at the parts transfer with Tim (liftnot) and his beautiful & super light weight white NA1.

Last edited:
Your right Dave, i only got white stickers which I've installed. Where did you get red ones from?

I had them made. Let me know if you want me to get you a few. I already have the illustrator file. Or I can email you the file and you can have some made.

Given that you track this car, how did you get all the suspension arms so clean?!! Or do you scrub after each event?!!
All that shows is I haven't done that much off-roading :wink: Like the rest of the car, looks good from about 50 feet.

Keep your liners or you'll destroy your fenders. I trim mine but unfortunately not quite enough for these plus sized Nitto's.

As an FYI, I run w/o fenderliners but have sprayed in sound deadening material. I did it as an experiment in ding protection from the inside and it's worked out well so far = no more fender dings.

BTW, love your nsx.

As an FYI, I run w/o fenderliners but have sprayed in sound deadening material. I did it as an experiment in ding protection from the inside and it's worked out well so far = no more fender dings. BTW, love your nsx.
Thanks, Pb, it's definitely an on going concern with my track tires only. what brand of are you using?

Tim comes thru again!

Would love to hear more of your impressions of the trophy bar and if you notice any major difference in the low, med, high settings. It's high on my list. Please let us know if you notice any affects on ride quality too!

Last edited:
Back